PDA

View Full Version : can i change default keyboard binds?

LA_MERC_Sabre
February 5th, 2004, 07:50 AM
can i change ctrl+C or ctrl+v to something else, or am i stuck with it?

i use these functions ALOT and I want to change them to something more comfortable like

ctrl+` or ctrl+1

LA_MERC_Dirge
February 5th, 2004, 09:12 AM
My advice would be to stick to the default. You would be amazed how prevalent that key combo is. Besides your hand will eventually get stuck in the semi-awkward position it takes to use them. Mine has!!!

LA_MERC_LaTech
February 5th, 2004, 09:35 AM
PLEASE don't ask why...

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 5th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Along the same lines - I'm searching despirately for a way to disable F1 for Help in windows, if anyone has a suggestion.

LA_MERC_Sabre
February 5th, 2004, 09:47 AM
ummmmmm why?

LA_MERC_LaTech
February 5th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Sabre,

I know in Office you can change that stuff, but I don't know about the computer as a whole.

For Office: Tools, Customize, Commands and then click on Keyboard (at the bottom).

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 5th, 2004, 10:07 AM
The reason I need F1 disabled is I administer an Avaya phone system, and our Infinity VM Server runs Redhat, and I telnet into it using a java applet on a web page, and one of the command keys in the software on the server is F1, so everytime I execute that command, windows help pops up and it get very annoying after a while.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
February 5th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Alternatives to Copy, Cut, & Paste would be
Ctrl+Insert, Shift+Delete, & Shift+Insert

Some keyboards come with software that will allow you to customize your keyboard shortcuts to what ever you would like.

You can also try to download PowerToys for Windows XP and that will give you additional options to be able to make the changes you want.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 5th, 2004, 10:58 AM
I've looked all through TweakUI, and nothing to disable the F1 for help :(

I may just have to live w/ it ... er

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
February 5th, 2004, 12:56 PM
That post was mainly for Sabre

Max, you could use a program like Secure Desktop to disable just that one hotkey or there is a registry entry to disable all hotkeys

CajunTech
February 5th, 2004, 01:24 PM
There is a program called Win Key Assassin I used to use when playing Diablo. Not sure which keys it disables or if it was configurable, but I still have it somewhere.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==