PDA

View Full Version : This is a pretty cool shot!

LA_MERC_MadMAX
January 28th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Check this out - Windows XP Pro running 5 Operating Systems's via Virtual PC - makes for an awesome screenshot, and shows you how far PC's have come along in recent years...To think, it's running 3 MODERN OS's (WinXP - host OS, Windows Server 2003, and Red Hat Fedora, plus it's running Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows 3.1 (as a joke)). BTW, Windows 3.1 installed completely in 30 seconds! I remember loading 3.1 on my 386 and it took over an hour!!!

Also, amusing side note, in VPC, Windows 2003 server see's my Athlon XP 2800+, but lists it's clock speed at 5.4GHZ!!!

Click HERE (http://www.lamerc.com/uploads/vpclarge.jpg) for a Full sized image (1600x1200)

Lt.Dan
January 28th, 2004, 09:54 PM
OMg thats is super cool, ... and I can get this software where ? :)

Apocalypse
January 28th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Ok, illiterate computer guy is gonna jump into this thread. What is the point of having multiple operating systems running at once?

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
January 28th, 2004, 11:57 PM
I'm not sure but I think Virtual PC came about because mac's could only run 1/4 of the software and windows was needed for the other 3/4ths, something was needed to allow these mac users to take advantage of windows software.

The software progressed and migrated over to Windows itself and it let sys admins run multiple OS's on one desktop. If a company updated pc's but had one program that they used that only worked on, lets say, windows 98, they would use virtual pc for that reason. Its one of the reason's Microsoft bought/acquired the software

Maximus
January 29th, 2004, 03:07 AM
So sayeth the Tobster! ;-)

aCiD
January 29th, 2004, 05:19 AM
erm anotehr computer illiterate person is gonna try to sound cool in here... is it like that PC thingy you can do from ... wait a min.. Lets say you were on your computer and i had that software... could i get onto your computer type in all that needs to be done and a few click clikcs and i could be on my computer from your house? =O thats neato

LA_MERC_MadMAX
January 29th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by AciD
erm anotehr computer illiterate person is gonna try to sound cool in here... is it like that PC thingy you can do from ... wait a min.. Lets say you were on your computer and i had that software... could i get onto your computer type in all that needs to be done and a few click clikcs and i could be on my computer from your house? =O thats neato
No Acid, Virtual PC is a program that allows you to install additional Operating systems on your computer, within your current OS like a simple application - no changes made to the host OS or Hard Drive Partitions at all...

What you are talking about can be achieved through several means, such as Remote Desktop Connection, VNC (Vitrual Network Computing) and several other protocols such as Dameware, GoToMyPC, and Symantec's PC anyway to list a few.

CajunTech
January 29th, 2004, 06:40 AM
We use VMware, similar to virtual PC, for software testing here. Saves us from setting up a bunch of PCs with different OS's and various languages.

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 29th, 2004, 07:09 AM
Do they have a Cajun language pack for Windows yet?

Just messing with ya!

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
January 29th, 2004, 11:12 AM
hehehe cool Max! Virtual PC is a great tool. MS is even coming out with Virtual Server, which is expected anytime now I believe. MS is pushing this as a money saver for companies that have applications that required a dedicated server. Well, if you go buy business class servers, they are powerhouses to begin with and will almost be under utilized by that one application. What a waste of resources. With this, you can run many virtual servers on this power house server with their own application making full use of all the server's resources.

Ok, enough of that. :-)

LA_MERC_YellowDog
January 29th, 2004, 06:58 PM
AND THE GIGAWHATS-IT can MEGA-RAM-IT On the DOOm A FlOOPY then PRELOAD
THE AFTERchip onto the,OS... Or just take a hammer to it!!! HEHEHE
((((((((((((((((((AND I HAVENT A CLUE??))))))))))))))))))
:blue: :blue: :blue: :blue: :blue: :blue: :blue: :blue: :blue:

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==