PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever had Jack Daniel's Single Barrel?

LA_MERC_MadMAX
December 23rd, 2003, 07:54 PM
Got a fifth for an early christmas present from a friend...GOD is this stuff good. I told Maverick that if he even THINKS about putting Coke anywhere NEAR this stuff I'll chop his tounge off!

Apocalypse
December 24th, 2003, 12:56 AM
I stay away from Jack. I think it's BLEGH! :(

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
December 24th, 2003, 06:55 AM
Yea, not too much into whiskey, I like cognac

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
December 24th, 2003, 08:10 AM
hehe...I keep the whole JD line at home. Black label, Gentelman and SB. The SB rules, just ask Redneck. When I came to LA for the first time, I brought a bottle of SB along with a few other things. We beat it up pretty good. I gave Alan what was left in the bottle before I headed home. That was ONE FUN WEEKEND!

Scott

LA_MERC_Spark
December 24th, 2003, 08:31 AM
i can't keep anything! Drink it too dern fast!

LA_MERC_Yankee
December 24th, 2003, 08:54 AM
I've tried that once I think. Very good stuff. And as you said, "keep the coke away." Normally I can't drink bourbon without coke but you should never screw up a really good thing.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
December 24th, 2003, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I'm normally a Bourbon and coke kinda guy too - but this stuff is just too darn good to mix w/ anything except a few ice cubes. Only had two glasses out of it so far - don't want to drink it up too fast :D

LA_MERC_MadMAX
December 24th, 2003, 10:02 AM
BTW Scott - how is Gentleman Jack? I've never tried it...

-FA- hoody
December 24th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by -=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
Yea, not too much into whiskey, I like cognac

Ah yes, the Hennessy

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
December 24th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Personally I like Remy XO, but Hennessy is good stuff too.
Now if u wanna get "Hoody" get urself some Courvoisier :P

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
December 24th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Gentleman is good stuff...no mixing either. Its more affordable though. SB is about $40 a bottle, Gentleman is $21. Gentleman is an 80 proof so it has less burn then the SB which is 98 proof. One thing you will notice if you drink enough SB (multiple bottles) is it tends to have a unique taste from bottle to bottle. Because of the aging process, it takes on the distinct flavor of the barrel it was in. Some bottles have a much stonger oaky taste then others. Some get more of a "charred" taste (that's a good thing). Couldn't really tell you why other then it may have something to do with tiny diffrences in the barrels construction since the charring process is always the same (in theory).

The big diffrence from Gentleman and black label is "double mellowing." It's charred twice instead of once. Once prior to aging and again prior to bottling. While Gentleman is called a "single barrel" whiskey, it's not in the literal sense. It's more a "single batch". The "batch" is combined prior to bottling to maintain an overall continuity of taste. Black label is a blended whiskey for that reason...continuity of tatse. The whole purpose of SB is to get the subtle diffrences from barrel to barrel.

wow....I kinda held school there w/o trying. Any questions class?? There WILL be a quiz. BTW, Dirge, we are still waiting for you to teach avanced drinking...the follow up to my drinking 101.

Scott

LA_MERC_Mercy
December 24th, 2003, 11:38 AM
well i want some more cabo wabo myself...i liked it...

LA_MERC_MadMAX
December 24th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Dang Scott - it must be stupid ABC laws here, but green label jack is about 20 a fifth, black is about 23 a fifth, gentleman is 40 a fifth and single barrel is 75 a fifth...

I usually buy old crow for 9 a fifth...lol

just for price reference, here a liter bottle of black label jack is pushing 30, when i was in monroe last spring for the lan, i bought a liter bottle for 15...

We also have a stupid "mini-bottle" law for bars and resturaunts - that means a bourbon and coke (house s usually jim beam around here) runs 3.50 or maybe 3 on happy hour....a black russian will run you 15 bucks here. :(

Redneck
December 24th, 2003, 01:11 PM
They LOVE Jackdaniels in Arkansas!!

Tracker
December 24th, 2003, 01:23 PM
LoL..That is a funny sign..Anyway I like all of the JD brand,But can only afford the black lable.So thats what I drink :)

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
December 24th, 2003, 03:21 PM
Green doesn't exist in Cali....it just doesn't. Ive heard about it and my understanding is its the same as black...no diffrence.

Scott

LA_MERC_MadMAX
December 24th, 2003, 03:23 PM
Green is 80 proof, black is 90...taste about the same.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
December 24th, 2003, 03:24 PM
btw, i'll bring you some green to the lan, so you'll be able to say you've had some :)

LA_MERC_Dirge
December 25th, 2003, 10:46 AM
advanced class will be in session soon, with guest lecturers Spark and Yankee. Advanced classroom prep will be done for New Year's/Sugar Bowl Weekend! w00t

BTW, I did give and advanced beer drinker's course a while back.

JUNKY
December 26th, 2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by LA_MERC_MadMAX

I usually buy old crow for 9 a fifth...lol

Ughhhh

At least spend a dollar or 2 more for Charter instead of Old crow.

I have a buddy who just went to Europe and toured the Jameson distillery and brought back 2 bottles od Jameson Distillery Reserve -- can only buy it there. I'm hinting that one of those bottles would be a nice wedding present. :-)

I think all my groomsmen are getting engraved flasks and a bottle of Bush Mills or Jameson 12 year for their groomsmen gifts.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
December 26th, 2003, 12:40 PM
Never had Charter - Old Crow is basically the same thing as Jim Beam white label (it's also made by Beam Distillery) - you can't really tell the differnece when mixed with Coke. Only think I run away from screaming is Evan Williams - that stuff is the devil reincarnated into poisonous liquid :D

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
December 26th, 2003, 02:52 PM
OMG!!!! Evan Williams....true story.

It was New Years Eve (93 I think). I went to a party at my buddies house and was feeling kinda sad because my girlfriend at the time was In Dallas for the National Cheerleading Champoinships. On the way to the party I stopped off and grabbed a bottle of Evan Williams (never had it before) because, well, it was cheap and the label LOOKED kinda like a JD label.

I started in on EW and cokes around 8pm or so. Like I said, was a lil down about being w/o the GF so I was hitting it kinda hard. The EW and coke was about a 50/50 mix so it wasn't long before I was obliterated. After 10pm it gets kinda fuzzy. I remember midnight because we were watching the Howard Stern PPV. I remember laying on the couch and not being able to get my feet to join the rest of my body...up on the couch. I remember barfing...REPEATEDLY...behind the dumpster outside. I remember waking up on the bathroom floor wrapped around the toilet like a cat curls up with a blanket. I remember waking up at 10am...STILL BUZZED and going outside. The sunlight was actualy painful to my skin. Well, I made it home about noon and got up sometime after dark. Thats the only time I ever called off work because of alcohol.

The next time I talked to one of my good friends who was at the party he just laughed at me. I was like "what?" He asked me if I remembered what I was doing. Well, that question, by itself only means bad things. Apparently, I had been sitting on the couch next to him telling him, "I love you man." SEVERAL TIMES! He finaly just pushed me over and stayed in that spot because I passed out...till the barfing started.

EVAN WILLIAMS....BAAAAAAAAD!!!

Scott

JUNKY
December 26th, 2003, 02:56 PM
That's basically why me and Mr. Cuervo don't speak to each other anymore......

1Str8G
December 26th, 2003, 03:02 PM
I don't drink at all. I quit drinking anything really after I got my networking job about 3 years ago. I never could drink beer before, but I could drink any hard liquor in any amount straight and keep a straight face. Last drink I think I had was like one about a year ago:)

JUNKY
December 31st, 2003, 07:03 PM
CFH -- what's your address -- I have a present for you.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==