PDA

View Full Version : HL2 Source Code Stolen and Leaked

NoXiOuS
October 7th, 2003, 07:22 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/news_6076314.html

Gabe Newell reports that his email was hacked and the source code for Half Life 2 was stolen and leaked to the net.

LA_MERC_LaTech
October 7th, 2003, 07:45 AM
Game release date set back till April '04...last I read anyway.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
October 7th, 2003, 07:46 AM
err.. thats old news but the implications are still there. The source code is direct insite in to how the game actually does what it does.

Cheat creators never knew what the source of half-life 1 was but was still able to come up with some pretty effective cheats. Just think now that they know exactly how the new engine work. They should be able to engineer some never seen before hacks which will probably never be detected.

Also, there will be exploit after exploit on this new game engine. You will probably see more server crash exploits and no telling with else, lets just say that its a major security issue.

Now, Valve is claiming that only about 1/3 of the source was actually obtained but they did not say which have. Valve will have to do some serious work in rewriting some of that code. Supposedly, they obtained the cd key encryption method which would seriously hurt the sales of Half-life 2 being that anyone could create a valid cd key for the game with a key gen and not have to purchase it.

Now it seems that Half-life 2 may be delayed back as late as April

http://money.cnn.com/2003/10/07/technology/vivendi_code.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

LA_MERC_Onji
October 7th, 2003, 08:16 AM
good, gives them plenty of time to rewrite somethings so toby wont be so paranoid hehe

(Theyve STOLEN the PRECIOUS!!)

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
October 7th, 2003, 08:31 AM
The lastest quote from Gabe Newell

"Filthy little thieves, they stole my precious and we wants it!"

LA_MERC_Diesel
October 7th, 2003, 09:10 AM
yeah better get liking 1.6 and condition zero, because per some site it may be pushed til '04 holidays, as they rewrite it all :doh

Omega_Prime
October 8th, 2003, 02:18 AM
why do they do this????? jesus they said sept 29 you will have it, then they say dec, now next year!!! hell im not going to buy it boycott valve i will!!! i hate it when they do that!!

Omega_Prime
October 8th, 2003, 02:19 AM
you set a release date you stick by it period!

LA_MERC_Dirge
October 8th, 2003, 06:31 AM
When is the last time you saw a release date actually hold true to the originally set date?

JUNKY
October 8th, 2003, 07:57 AM
Hopefully it's all a ruse -- a big fat middle finger from Valve to the Hackers......Hopefully the "leaked" source code is really the source code to something like Pong , and they have leaked it to make the hackers all bust their a$$ trying to create hacks for the wrong source code -- and they drop the new game ahead of their "proposed release date."

But I doubt that's how/what happens.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
October 8th, 2003, 08:31 AM
Na, its the real deal

LA_MERC_Sniper
October 8th, 2003, 09:01 AM
yeah toby knows hes the one that haxed it hes working on a new hax for me its called the BE A NUB NO MORE HAX ;)

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
October 8th, 2003, 09:03 AM
Code named The Nubinator aka The Precious

}{y|3ri|)
October 8th, 2003, 10:16 AM
i would rather them push it back.. then to have them release it with the hackers knowing the source code...

JUNKY
October 8th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Welp -- looks like more than source code now..........Origianlly they thought only parts of the source code was out there -- now people are reporting playable information with screenshots and soundclips.....

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/computersecurity/2003-10-07-half-life-2-compiled_x.htm

DeadDOG
October 13th, 2003, 02:05 PM
and now that the hacker has releaced the Beta of HL2 there saying there going to releace it this year before the holadays.
that would be cool thay say the hacker told valve to tell everyone the truth that valve was no way near getting the game done on time.
and that if thay did not he would releace there gold edition.
and he did the gold editon was leaked from valve.

I think if he was in there computers long enuf to get the gold edition of CS-CZ then maybe valve is no where near finished with HL2.
and just useing the hacking for a resion to delay the game.
thay say he got over 10 GIGs from valve. man how could thay have missed someone pulling 10 gig off there network.
unless the compressed it on there computer then downloaded it lol but thay should have notaced that. even then thay say it would still be around 3 to 4 gigs.

i'm realy starting to think valve did this to increace sales of the game.

{D|M}HillBillY
October 13th, 2003, 03:12 PM
i have heard rumors that HL2 is very playable, and it actaully is a very good game!!! !!! !!!! takes only a couple of days to download!! ONLY RUMORS

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==