PDA

View Full Version : Ack! no more sidewinders!

LA_MERC_Onji
July 1st, 2003, 10:17 AM
Check this out:

http://www.gamepro.com/lofi/article.cfm?article_id=30024

Microsoft announced today that, as of this month, they will halt development of their SideWinder series of PC joysticks, gamepads, steering wheels and force-feedback devices. The SideWinder lineup will still be available in stores as long as inventory remains in stock, and the company will continue producing keyboards, mice, and other non-game-related PC hardware.

According to Microsoft representatives, the dropping of SideWinder "is a business decision that stems from the shrinking of worldwide sales figures". A Microsoft Japan representative told the Softbank Games website that the decision "also reflects a shift in the marketplace, including the rise of games that include better support for keyboard and mouse control." The company currently has no new PC game devices in development, and all SideWinder manufacturing lines have been halted as of the end of June.

One of the most well-known brands in the PC industry, SideWinder controllers are still among the only devices to offer full support for DirectX 5 force feedback. If you're a fan of flight sims or racers, it could be a good idea to pick up a wheel or stick before they're gone.

LA_MERC_Maverick
July 1st, 2003, 10:22 AM
ACK!! Good thing I already have mine...w00t!

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
July 1st, 2003, 10:25 AM
Doh! guess I need to stop slamming mine when I get mad huh :banghead

LA_MERC_LaTech
July 1st, 2003, 11:32 AM
oh man...that sucks.

LA_MERC_Sabre
July 1st, 2003, 11:46 AM
no problem here. never even heard of a sidewinder

-FA- ManiacalClown
July 7th, 2003, 01:33 AM
There's better products out there.