PDA

View Full Version : Soem interesting facts about the "Arab Street"

LA_MERC_Dirge
April 1st, 2003, 11:53 AM
Here's an excerpt from the article:

"We would be foolish to descend to their level and gloat. The world would be better off were Arab civilization a success. We all should pray that the Arab world might, one day, be better governed and more equitable, that Arab peoples might join us in the march of human progress, instead of fleeing into reveries of bygone glories.

But the obstacles Arabs have erected for themselves are enormous. For all of the oil revenue that has flowed into the wealthier Arab countries, consider the overall state of the Arab world:

* It does not produce a single manufactured product of sufficient quality to sell on world markets.

* Arab productivity is the lowest in the world.

* It contains not a single world-class university.

* The once-great tradition of Arab science has degenerated into a few research programs in the fields of chemical and biological warfare.

* No Arab state is a true democracy.

* No Arab state genuinely respects human rights.

* No Arab state hosts a responsible media.

* No Arab society fully respects the rights of women or minorities.

* No Arab government has ever accepted public responsibility for its own shortcomings.

This is a self-help world. We can't force Arab states to better themselves. If Arabs prefer to dream of imaginary triumphs while engaging in fits of very real savagery, they're their own ultimate victims.

Is there any hope? Yes: Iraq."

You can read the entire article here:
http://www.nypost.com/seven/03302003/postopinion/opedcolumnists/72148.htm

Cypher
April 1st, 2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by LA_MERC_Dirge
* No Arab state genuinely respects human rights.
* No Arab state hosts a responsible media.
* No Arab society fully respects the rights of women or minorities.

I'm not trying to start a debate or anything, but... I'm not so sure OUR OWN country fully satisfies these statements yet.

CoF
April 1st, 2003, 05:57 PM
nor will it ever. as long as this country exists there will always be those not thinking to themselves "Gee i should respect that "persons" rights more, or i should give that "person" a job since he/she is the "most" qualified." but i'm pretty sure we're way ahead of the race so don't complain:d:.... oh and as for my ''personal'' opinion "the media will definately contribute to the downfall of this country" :cheers

Cypher
April 1st, 2003, 08:01 PM
True. I'm not suggesting that our country is far from achieving those goals -- nobody can deny that we're heading in that direction, and we've come a LONG way. I was just pointing out that we don't have it all together yet... just a little something to chew on, I guess.

CoF
April 1st, 2003, 08:09 PM
jah mahn:beerchug

LA_MERC_Dirge
April 1st, 2003, 08:37 PM
Now now boyz, don't be taking away from the onus of the article. The point is (underlying) that since the great Arab scientific and cultural advacnes in the middle ages, the Arab world has continually been in a state of decline.

Rooster
April 1st, 2003, 09:42 PM
well noone can be satisfied all the time, look at your own lives. Are you happy 100% of the time? No. There will always be people that are down and out, and there will always be people looking for a handup or a handout. That's just the nature of the beast (speaking of man that is)

LA_MERC_Spark
April 2nd, 2003, 12:28 AM
While our efforts in iraq will certainly end with a change in the political structure of that country, I don't believe for one minute that it will in anyway change the screwed up political environment in that part of the world.... It is funny to me how an entire region of the planet could be so lost in time, and I'm not sure if they'll ever catch up. They cant even unite with themselves much lees the rest of the world...

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==