PDA

View Full Version : yeah, that's great, but what would they ping in CS?

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
March 7th, 2003, 04:01 PM
CNN reports that scientists at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center have used fiber optic cables to push 6.7 gigabytes across 6,800 miles under a minute.

The team was able to transfer uncompressed data at 923 megabits per second for 58 seconds from Sunnyvale, California, to Amsterdam, Netherlands. That's about 3,500 times faster than a typical Internet broadband connection.

"By exploring the edges of Internet technologies' performance envelope, we are improving our ... ability to implement new networking technologies," said Les Cottrell, assistant director of the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, a national laboratory operated by Stanford University for the U.S. Department of Energy.

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
March 7th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Where do I sign up? Problem is Bighead would STILL hax me.

Scott

LA_MERC_Dirge
March 7th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Man that's like an OC-650!!!! w00t And I thought the new Lucent mux with the Terabit back plane was cool...

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
March 7th, 2003, 07:24 PM
so could they host a 16 player server?

would be sweet if one of the techs working on that was into cs, next time they run the test they can't figure out why it's a little slower till they hear brad in the back screaming "OMG that guy H4X"

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==