PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question

Swampdog
February 20th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Hey to all the computer gurus out there...ok i have a new pc from compaq it comes preinstalled with windows xp....and all kinds of other programs.....my questions is there a way for me to totally clean off my harddrive and use my windows 98se cd and put wins98 on this computer.(bad ideal or good?)......instead of all the stuff that comes preinstalled on any new pc ..........please explain to me in details....do i have to save all my drivers? well get back with me before i screw my new pc up.........the reason why i want to get rid of winxp and all the other preinstall programs is because its slows my pc down.........well plz help if u can:confused: :confused: :confused:

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 20th, 2003, 11:04 AM
I would probably stick with Windows XP over 98. Xp is faster, smoother more stable and just about as compatable as 98. XP has much better memory management features than 98...with 98, you aren't able to tell much difference over say 128-256 ram, but with XP the more ram you feed it, the happier it is. Also, XP has drivers to make use of the new instruction set in a lot of the newer processors, such as the Pentium 4 and Athlon XP, many of the features that make these new processors so fast aren't even utilized in 98.

Just my $0.02

MadOne
February 20th, 2003, 11:24 AM
I have to agree with MadMax on this too...well said.

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
February 20th, 2003, 11:36 AM
ditto, u could always format c: but it's a pain in the ass to reinstall everything. XP Pro is the way to go.

Swampdog
February 20th, 2003, 01:20 PM
well.........i just dont like all the preinstalled program.....u know.......well thanks for the help ..i like windowsxp ..it was just that when i went to reformat my hd..i wouldve to put the recovering cd in and then it would reinstall all the dang preinstall garbage ..............well thanks again

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 20th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Just go into Add/remove programs and uninstall all of it and download RegCleaner to get rid of all the registry crap...

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 20th, 2003, 04:09 PM
here is a link for regclean...its a free prog. http://download.com.com/3000-2094-881470.html?tag=list

bighead
February 20th, 2003, 04:14 PM
if u want to tweak it some. go to www.tweakxp.com

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 20th, 2003, 04:38 PM
This is a good how-to on tweaking XP as well...a lot of these will really boost performance... http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=review&dId=324

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==