PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Server Question

cbsdizzo
February 12th, 2003, 07:13 AM
I want to start a dedicated server... but i want it to be on my own system. I want to build a new system from scratch, and i was wondering what i should get to put it together. I want it to be under like 3 or 4. Just some ideas on mother board, processor, memory, and things like that would be very useful... Please help

IZzO

cbsdizzo
February 12th, 2003, 07:17 AM
Umm... and, will we be able to sleep at the lan, or will i have to get a room?

LA_MERC_Mercy
February 12th, 2003, 07:38 AM
if there is room, and you can beat whoever else wants it, then yes you can sleep at the lan..

cbsdizzo
February 12th, 2003, 08:08 AM
Do you suspect there will be a lot of people sleeping at the lan? What part of LA is it at? and what time should i get there if i want a place to sleep. Also, is there gonne be security there, and people there all night watching out computers?

cbsdizzo
February 12th, 2003, 08:08 AM
And can you... or anyone you know help me with my server question please?

LA_MERC_Mercy
February 12th, 2003, 08:33 AM
yes there will be people there all night, and we will be starting at around 2pm for setup and really kicking it off around 6pm..we are in the northeast corner of the state along I20

what game are you wanting to run? and what type of connection will it have?

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
February 12th, 2003, 08:35 AM
Can't help you with th server but as far sleeping goes wherever you can find a spot to lay down you can sleep. Since this is a 3 day LAN someone will always be there....it's a non stop LAN. Some f00s TRY to play the whole time but I don't think that happened last time....did it?

Scott

cbsdizzo
February 12th, 2003, 10:38 AM
What part of LA though, i need to get directions and a map. I am going to play cs, and i play with a cable connection.

cbsdizzo
February 12th, 2003, 10:39 AM
I really do want to join this clan... do you think if i talked in person to the leaders, that i will have a better chance of joining, even though i am only 15?

LA_MERC_Dirge
February 12th, 2003, 10:55 AM
no

SnAkEbItE
February 12th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Ok the problem with running a "Dedicated Server" is that your going to be on cable. The max person's your bandwith would hold is about 8-12 people mabey. The other thing is what is your "box" what is it's makeup?

As for joing the clan let me just offer this suggestion. Play, get better, post good post not just junk in the forums and prove that you have the abilities.

Whineing about your age being a issue does not start off on a good foot though.

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
February 12th, 2003, 12:32 PM
No offense but he could be son of the owner of Valve and it wouldn't help...the age thing is in stone. The LAN is in West Monroe which is way up North central part of the state...beyind that I can't help ya...I'm in Cali:D

Scott

Scott

LA_MERC_Mercy
February 12th, 2003, 12:51 PM
here is a gneral map to monroe

monroe map (http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=&city=Monroe&state=LA&csz=Monroe,+LA+71203&slt=32.563100&sln=-92.041000&zip=71203&country=us&BFKey=&BFCat=&BFClient=&cs=7&name=&desc=&poititle=&poi=&uz=71203&ds=n&mag=5&newmag=4)

and the age limit is set in stone, not even the leaders can change it..sorry but 18 is the limit

cbsdizzo
February 13th, 2003, 07:16 AM
How much does a typical t1 line cost?

cbsdizzo
February 13th, 2003, 07:17 AM
Actually, i think i will rent a server from somewhere. Can anyone give me any recommendations?

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
February 13th, 2003, 07:20 AM
You can't afford a T1...most people can't. If you can get DSL that's the way to go.

Scott

LA_MERC_Mercy
February 13th, 2003, 07:39 AM
at ds1 line (t1) runs around a $1000 a month...and that does not include your setup costs either...

as for hosting, just use google to look up game server hosting and you will find several companies that host them

cbsdizzo
February 13th, 2003, 07:50 AM
How come i have posted over 50 posts... and i still can't make one of those animated pictures

LA_MERC_Diesel
February 13th, 2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by LA_MERC_Mercy
ds1 line
Thats my boy...call it what it really is! :D

Izzo it seems that you only have 25???

MRBIG85
February 13th, 2003, 07:55 AM
Do you suspect there will be a lot of people sleeping at the lan? What part of LA is it at? and what time should i get there if i want a place to sleep. Also, is there gonne be security there, and people there all night watching out computers?

I tell you there will always be a few people sleeping where ever they can. Some will slide about 4 folding chairs together and sleep. there are a few sofas but those are hard to come by. I just slept on the carpet covered stage for about 3 hours. oh and about your computers don't be so paronid. No one is going to come to LAN party to steal a computer. The only people who will be allowed into the gaming area will be people who payied there money. Don't worry we are all friends here( I think)I have been going to LANs since I have been in the 9th grade and never have i seen some one get there things stolen so don't worry no one is going to take your stuff.

Later MY_PANTS_MRBIG85

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==