PDA

View Full Version : beer

Disorder
February 7th, 2003, 04:58 PM
im trying to expand my beer knowledge by drinking alot and im wondering what are your favorites other than bud, mgd, and the "normal" stuff like that.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 7th, 2003, 05:37 PM
Guinness hands down - it's the nectar of the gods...lol. I also like:
Weltenburger Kloster Asam Bock
Schlafly Winter ESB
Schneider Aventinus
Three Floyds Dark Lord Imperial Stout

and some more common brews like Molsons, Becks Dark, Moosehead, Red Stripe, Harp Lager, Woodchuck Cider...

If you want a nice cheapish beer, that is actually something other than the color of pee, check out Michelob Amber Bock, Black & Tan, and Honey Lager...they are actually pretty decent.

For cheap swill it's usually Coors Light for me...lol.

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
February 7th, 2003, 05:41 PM
heineken, dos equis, el presidente, sapporo, kirin

LA_MERC_Dirge
February 7th, 2003, 06:10 PM
Paulaner Heffeweisen --> best beer on planet
Murphy's Irish Stout
Abita Amber
Abita Purple Haze
any of the Chimay's ---> must try Belgian beer comes in bottles because of high alcohol content
Carlsberg Lager ----> yummy
Shiner Bock
Dixie
Guiness
Any of the Paulaner or Spaten brands
any of the Samuel Smith's

I have more, let me consult the book.

Maximus
February 7th, 2003, 06:59 PM
Shiner Bock
Honey Brown (is da shizznit!)
Hofbrauhaus (only in Munich, Germany)
Corona Extra & Light (depending on the moods and always fully dressed)
Dos Equis
Killian's Irish Red
Bud Ice (it ain't light!)

Mikey
February 7th, 2003, 08:10 PM
OMG guyz... ummm.. bud-light... lol, i cant afford all that other crap

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 7th, 2003, 08:18 PM
beer roxors, but for friday nights, BOURBON RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

LA_MERC_Dirge
February 7th, 2003, 10:47 PM
hey disorder when i get back home i'll post you a list based on coloration and method of brewing

SnAkEbItE
February 7th, 2003, 11:19 PM
Well back when I drank I like Miller Light and if I had a little extra to spend it was Michlob Classic Dark...

BigOne
February 7th, 2003, 11:57 PM
well around here we only get 4 beers thats it no one else drinks anything else. We always get the nasty stuff like natty light or natty ice. and milwakee's best which is by far the nastiest thing i have ever tasted. then when we have some cash we get bud light or reg bud, or miller light. But i mostly get honey brown that sif i have money. Honey brown is my favorite of all time i coudl drink that like soda. But thats all i have tos ay just my $0.02

LA_MERC_LaTech
February 8th, 2003, 06:19 AM
Well, when I used to drink...it was Killians Red and Guiness. Those were my favorites. *sigh*

bighead
February 8th, 2003, 08:14 AM
My are killians, moosehead(guess the candanians do something right after all), Red stripe. I've also been drinking some of that JD hard cola. Not beer but it's good too

Disorder
February 8th, 2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by LA_MERC_Dirge
hey disorder when i get back home i'll post you a list based on coloration and method of brewing

amazing.

thanks guys im goign to the class 6(alcohol store) here on post in a little while i check some of this stuff out.

LA_MERC_Sniper
February 8th, 2003, 09:51 AM
well ive never drank before so i would have to go wit:

Root Beer

LOL LOL

LA_MERC_LaTech
February 8th, 2003, 11:29 AM
lol

Rooster
February 8th, 2003, 07:54 PM
cold

wookie
February 9th, 2003, 04:47 PM
ive never really tasted a good beer, i ususally just had budweiser. i just cant get into beer.
i havent tried all the ones you guys mentioned, so i guess imma have to try em someday.

bighead
February 9th, 2003, 05:15 PM
LOL sniper use to want to spell every drink I had.. he's got some kind of smell fetish w/ liquer. Don't ask me y but every drink i made for myself use to be..hey let me smell that LOL

LA_MERC_Sniper
February 9th, 2003, 06:31 PM
lol spell fetish hahahahah no i cant spell lol but i can smell and hes right some of them smelled good but i just never tried any lol

LA_MERC_Dirge
February 18th, 2003, 08:52 PM
Okay, sorry it took this long.

Disorder, and whoever is interested:

Here's a dandy reference:
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/101/

and

http://www.beerchurch.com/styles.htm

Two main categories of beer are:

Ale: Ales use a top fermenting style yeast and are generally fermented at warmer temperatures (60 - 70 degrees F.)

Lager: Lagers use a bottom fermenting style yeast and are generally fermented at cooler temperatures (below 50 degrees F.)
Lagers include Pilsners, i.e. Miller Lite

Each of these has various subcategories including bitters, bocks, double bocks, belgian ales, porters, pale ales, etc..

Here's list of countries that are known for a specific type of beer (mainly) in order from lightest to darkest (also top fermenting to bottom fermenting)

Australia- Wheat
Czech Republic- Pilsner (Pilsner Urquell- one of my favs)
Germany- bock (Spaten Optimator)
Ireland- Dry Stout (Murphy's Irish Stout- also one of my favs)
England- Strong Ale (Samuel Smith's Winter Ale)
Denmark- Dark Lager (Carlsberg Lager- another of my favs)
Canada- Pale Ale

You can also match beer to food. For example, fried food goes very well with the lighter ales, wheat and golden ales are exquisite with fried seafood. Conversely, a nice juicy beef hamburger goes down best with darker beers such as Guiness, Carlsberg and others.

Lighter color beers also have a lighter feel in your stomach and less complex sugars. Thus in the summer, you can enjoy more wheat beers than you can enjoy dark lagers.

Finally, a short list of what I like to drink from time to time:

Domestic- Miller Lite primarily
Local- Abita, they make an outstandinf Amber and a couple of incredible wheats
Paulaner- A German beer that makes the best Wheat beer in the world- Paulaner Heffeweisen, orgasmic with a lemon slice.
Chimay- makers of very strong Belgian Ales- all are excellent
Murphy's Irish Stout and Guiness- bothe the 16 oz cans only. The bottles aren't that good.
Rolling Rock is a great light beer, but only out of the bottle.

That's a short list, let me know if you try any of those.

FYI, if you have ever noticed a kind of skunky taste and smell associated with beers, it's because they come in a green bottle. There is a certain wavelength of light that will pass through a green glass bottle and further interact with the beer ingredients producing this smell/taste. If you want to eliminate this, try to get the beer in a can. Heineken is a perfect example. GREAT out of the can, but crap in the bottles.

I hope this is helpful.

LA_MERC_Dirge
Amercian by birth
American-Irish by the grace of God!

}{y|3ri|)
February 18th, 2003, 09:25 PM
depends on what im having... seafood i get corona, steak you cant beat a miller, smirnoff for light hamburgers or bud light, and you cant beat a yager shot....

SoBe
February 20th, 2003, 08:55 AM
ok...here's my list...
Corona Extra--when Matt's around
Budlight--when Ashley is around
Coors Light--cause that's what the rents buy
JackDaniels--when Matt's around and I want to get trashed
Jose Cuervo--when I'm showing off

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==