PDA

View Full Version : need comp help... seriously

Mikey
January 24th, 2003, 05:38 PM
aight boyz...
heres the deal, for the past week are two my comp has been running horribly.. my ping jumps from 60 to 300 none stop on the server... it restarts slow as hell... its just SLOW... so im thinkin its time to format it but ive never done this before, so im gonna need some help... ALOT OF HELP

so i need some people who know what there talkin about to help me out if yall dont mind

WTF do i do?

Mikey
January 24th, 2003, 05:39 PM
btw.. its an amd 1700, 128mb ram, 64mb geforce2 mmx(or somethin like that)

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 24th, 2003, 05:52 PM
Get a program called Ad-aware and run it on your pc. you can get that at: lavasoftusa.com
What it does is removes spy-ware crap from your pc.

I would also check what's going on in your msconfig file with stuff starting up. I know that I've had some stuff run at boot that slows down my PC bigtime.

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
January 24th, 2003, 06:16 PM
What operating system are you running on it?

Maximus
January 24th, 2003, 07:38 PM
Get more RAM first...Geez, you're probably runnin like a slow arse mudpig as is anyways...But yeah, what OS are you runnin?

Maximus
January 24th, 2003, 07:38 PM
Also, Tech, about the Ad-aware...How hard is it to remove once I get it all clear of spyware?

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 24th, 2003, 07:47 PM
ad-aware is non-intrusive. You run it when you need to, otherwise it isn't running. It's a very nice prog.

SnAkEbItE
January 24th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Yeah I would sugges that as well also I would run a full system scan with updated virus deff files. You could have a virus that is doing this as well. also could be your hard drive is full check and see how much space you have. you might defrag as well.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
January 24th, 2003, 08:11 PM
OMG that ad-aware software rocks. I just completed a deep scan and it found 103 programs etc clogging up my system and popping up banners and using up memory. Thanks for the tip guys. Computer is running like a spotted ape (Remeber Mike Scwab that's a seen Ape, not one with spots, LMAO).

SnAkEbItE
January 25th, 2003, 09:03 AM
Yeah I found that program awhile back it rock's I do a scan every now and then and make sure no one is watching me.. I don't like it... when someone watches me..

Maximus
January 25th, 2003, 09:13 AM
OH GREAT! Here comes Andy's friggin spotted ape again! AHHH! Run for the hills! It has ebola!!!

Mikey
January 25th, 2003, 09:21 AM
im runnin XP... and ill go download that program right now and get back to u

Mikey
January 25th, 2003, 09:44 AM
is there a good virus scanner i can download somewhere?

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 25th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Warez or the real Deal?

Also, I found Ad-Aware a while back and I tell everyone to run it that has problems with the interent. Especially if they use Morpheus or Kazaa.

SnAkEbItE
January 25th, 2003, 10:13 AM
Here is a link to a company that offer's free virus software. You can also goto McAfee or Norton's sites and they offer online scan for free if you have high speed connecion you might try that as well.

http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_downl.htm?session=d7425b11c53b88770343154595d7a 337

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 25th, 2003, 10:43 AM
kazaa ***cough*** Norton corporate ***cough***

Maximus
January 25th, 2003, 11:33 AM
***COUGH*** IagreewithDirge ***COUGH COUGH***

LA_MERC_Maverick
January 25th, 2003, 11:49 AM
***COUGH*** LMAO ***COUGH***

tesarro
January 25th, 2003, 12:20 PM
Here is a link to a trial version of Fprot http://www.f-prot.com/download/getfpwintrial.html I have used it for a long time as a very good virus scanner and it has much sooner released updates than macafee and norton. Also klez doesnt stop this one from working.

Mikey
January 25th, 2003, 02:41 PM
oops.. i have norton on my comp.. lol

scanned all 150000 files and found nothing
i ran ad-aware and found like 120 thingies
i defraged and they report when i finished still didnt sound to good but hell if i know

Mikey
January 25th, 2003, 02:41 PM
thats my report from the defrag... translate that for me plez

Mikey
January 25th, 2003, 02:43 PM
btw... about my HD... i have a 55gb hd and i have like 17gb free... thats good enough huh?

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 25th, 2003, 02:54 PM
get Norton windoctor and run it, it will clean up a lot of windows problems. And yes, that is enough free space.

LA_MERC_Diesel
January 26th, 2003, 07:23 AM
Yeah the ad-ware program is cool and also that Pop-up Pro id cool at stoping that crap from agrevating you. I Installed it and my computer runs like a striped chimpanzee, w00t! :p
:stick

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 26th, 2003, 11:09 AM
wow the ever elusive striped chimpanze! Is that faster than the spotted ape?

Cypher
January 26th, 2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by LA_MERC_Andyconda
....running like a spotted ape (Remeber Mike Scwab that's a seen Ape, not one with spots, LMAO).

WTF???

Cypher
January 26th, 2003, 11:31 AM
aha Mikey, here's your problem...

\New Folder\Movies\The Little Mermaid.avi
\cheryl backup\movies\The Little Mermaid.avi
\cheryl backup\A Walk to Remember(fulll....WOrks).avi
\cheryl backup\kazo backup\Disney Cinderella (1950).mpg
\cheryl backup\kazo backup\DISNEY_THE_LION_KING_DVDRIP.AVI
\cheryl backup\kazo backup\Disney's Beauty And The Beast - The Enchanted Xmas (DVD).avi
\cheryl backup\kazo backup\Disneys Fantasia 2000 - (DivX, DVD rip).AVI
\cheryl backup\kazo backup\Harry Potter (2of2).mpg
\cheryl backup\kazo backup\Harry-Potter-ts-sz-Part-1.mpg
\cheryl backup\kazo backup\Monsters Inc[DVD-Rip][Full].avi
\cheryl backup\kazo backup\The Lion King 2 (Dvd Divx).avi
\cheryl backup\kazo backup\The Little Mermaid.avi
\cheryl backup\kazo backup\Walt Disney - Mulan - divx [uffowich].avi
\cheryl backup\kazo backup\Walt Disney's Hercules DivX.avi
\cheryl backup\kazo backup\[tmd]snow.dogs.ts.(1of2).avi
\cheryl backup\kazo backup\A Walk to Remember(fulll....WOrks).avi

Geez dude... pirated Disney movies??? WTF???

I hope all this is for "Cheryl", whoever that is... not you...

Mikey
January 26th, 2003, 01:59 PM
LOL..cheryl is blakes mom... and she loaded my HD with all her junk... btw, wtf is wrong with disney movies?

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
January 26th, 2003, 02:28 PM
Well, for one, they are eating up your hard drive space which might be limiting your swap file space so REMOVE THEM.. burn them to cd and then delete them.

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
January 26th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by LA_MERC_Dirge
kazaa ***cough*** Norton corporate ***cough***

***cough*** kazaalite ***cough***

Cypher
January 26th, 2003, 07:16 PM
If y'all are griping about kazaa and morpheus, let me recommend Gnucleus to you. It uses the same network as Kazaa and Morpheus and all those other clones (so you can get to the exact same stuff), but there's no advertising and [as far as I know] no adware, etc. At least, I've never seen ANY evidence of adware. I'm about to run ad-aware on the pc that I run Gnucleus on... if I find anything that I know was put there by Gnucleus, I'll let you know. But really; I haven't had any problems with it. It gets me what I'm looking for, it's easier to use than Morpheus, and theres no ads or anything like that. www.gnucleus.com I think.

Cypher
January 26th, 2003, 07:18 PM
oh and another thing about Gnucleus (I can't remember if any of the others are like this or not) -- there's no registration, no login, no username/password, or anything like that. You just run it -- totally anonymous.

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
January 26th, 2003, 07:22 PM
Question...I have 59 things detected by the adware prog. If I delete all them, will it cause some progs not to work or are they safe to delete?

Scott

Lt.Dan
January 26th, 2003, 08:23 PM
yeah i have same question, i just put them all on the ingnore list, I did not delete them, does it make a difference.

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 26th, 2003, 08:46 PM
WHen in doubt, back them up first, then delete. If things run fine...delete the backup. I've never had a problem with just deleting them though.

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
January 26th, 2003, 09:09 PM
kk....cool

Scott

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==