PDA

View Full Version : Computer Cases question

CrAzYbOnEs
January 15th, 2003, 02:33 PM
aight well here it goes another help post by me crazybones. aight as of yesterday after talkin to corvette and her tellin me about her new case and showing it to me, i was awfully jealous and wanted to get one of my own. i told her i had a DELL and she said u might not be able to get one cause Dell might not run a ATX standard motherboard case. but i called up DELL today and they said yeh u can fit ur pc into a ATX standard case, but ..... u might have problems with the power supply. so my question is if any of u guys know anywhere that might sell cases for a DELL motherboard without havin problems with power supply , or if there is a way to change the way the ATX layout is.
plesae help me i really want one .
crazybones
here is the link to the case i am lookin to get http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=0215-4HL

Cypher
January 15th, 2003, 03:10 PM
I'd start by looking at your current motherboard to make sure it is indeed standard ATX with a standard connector -- I doubt that will be a problem, though. If it DOES turn out that the power supply or connector is proprietary, you could probably get the new case and mount your old Dell mobo and power supply in that (replacing the power supply that comes with the case). But anyway, just look at the mobo/power supply/connectors and you'll most likely be able to tell just by looking at them. If you don't know what you're looking at (I don't know how much you've played around inside computers), you can always post pics and we can help you out.

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 15th, 2003, 03:10 PM
It really depends on the motherboard that you have and the power supply connections to it. Do you know what kind of MOBO you have?

Cypher
January 15th, 2003, 03:11 PM
E0B, you've got a Dell desktop... help the boy out. I've got a Dell laptop, so I can't really say anything from personal experience with Dell desktops.

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 15th, 2003, 03:18 PM
My bad Red...you and I typed the same idea at the same time. Sorry...

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 15th, 2003, 03:19 PM
Actually, you may be able to just move your power supply from the case that you have right now and put it in the new case...it all really depends on how it is mounted within the case.

CrAzYbOnEs
January 15th, 2003, 03:39 PM
lol i have probably about as much experience inside computers then the encino men probably did. how do i find out what kind of motherboard i have what do i look for specifically or should i just take off the cover of the pc and take a pic of it for u guys . EOB get ur buns on this question, does he have a customized desktop as well?

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 15th, 2003, 03:50 PM
Ok, so...you hav eno experience with PC repair or anything, but you want to move your PC's guts to a new box? That may not be very wise. I do not mean this as any sort of slam on your or your abilities. You can seriously mess up stuff in your computer if you do it incorrectly...be sure of something before you do it.
If you don't know about what MoBo you have or the connector, take pictures! The connector we need to see comes from the power supply with about 20-25 wired (red, yellow, black, white etc) that connects directly to the MoBo.

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
January 15th, 2003, 04:15 PM
if the screws don't match up, just use magnets to hold everything in place.

like tech said, if you don't have any experience, don't do it yourself. if you have to have a new case, bring it to a local computer shop and have them look at it for you to see if everything will match up. they shouldn't charge you much to swap out the guts from one case to another, specially if you buy the case from them.

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
January 15th, 2003, 04:18 PM
I talked to him.. seems Crazy has a Dell 8100 which is a P4 and most of the Dell P4 boards are compatiable with standard ATX power supplies

For the older models, you can get a special adaptor to go from a standard ATX power supply to the Dell motherboard.

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 15th, 2003, 04:26 PM
There you have it. You can get a new case! (probably)
Seriously though, have someone else swap out the guts. Ask if you can watch/assist...but let someone else do it.

CrAzYbOnEs
January 15th, 2003, 05:12 PM
lol im not that dumb i wasnt gonna do it myself LOL are u kidding me. i was gonna have my neighbor do it hes a genius with pcs or ill take it to a shop . im just having trouble pickin one out. should i get black on silver on silver on black like my moniter is black and my keyboard but my spekaers are silver should i get a silver case or black case . i need others opinions , im gonna have this case for show!!!
woot,
a very thankful crazybones!

LA_MERC_RiverRat
January 15th, 2003, 05:30 PM
MAGNETS?!?!?!

OMG H4X!!!

DON'T USE MAGNETS - THEY WILL RUIN YOUR STUFF!

LA_MERC_Sabre
January 15th, 2003, 05:40 PM
i've got lots of magnets all over my case. I think it helps me play cs alot better.....oh wait.....i suxor at cs.....nevermind!

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
January 15th, 2003, 07:34 PM
put the magnets on your monitor. it will help you see the pretty colors of the rainbow.

as for cases, I've been looking around alot myself lately, and I really like the xaser II and III's from http://www.thermaltake.com/
style, function, and quality. they seem to be the most well rounded and one of the best looking.

here's a review of the older ones with small window:
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1726&p=1

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==