PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!

SoBe
January 14th, 2003, 06:20 PM
ok here's the problem, i have a math professor that wants the answer to this problem... i can't figure it out. to the person that finds the answer, i will send them a 6-pack! HELP ME!!

There are 3 men that stop at a hotel for the night. They ask for 1 room to share. The clerk says, "That's gonna be $30." They each hand him a $10 bill and go to the room. Later, while checking the books, the clerk realizes that he's over charged the men by $5. So he calls in the bellboy and asks him to take the 5 one dollar bills to the men. On the way up to the men's room, he realizes that they can't evenly split the 5 one dollar bills and puts 2 in his pocket. He gets to the mens room, explains that they were over-charged and hands them the 3 one dollar bills.

So...here is the problem.
How much did each man pay? $9
How much did the men pay total? $27
How much is in the bellboys pocket? $2
How much was the original bill? $30

WHERE IN THE HELL IS THE OTHER DOLLAR?!?

FIND ME THE ANSWER AND I'LL SEND YOU A 6-PACK!!

Disorder
January 14th, 2003, 06:29 PM
er.... maybe im not understanding it but there isnt a missing dollar from what i got?

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 14th, 2003, 06:34 PM
There is no missing dollar. It's right there.

Problem:
http://home.att.net/~numericana/answer/recreational.htm#bellhop

Answer:
http://home.att.net/~numericana/answer/solution/index.htm?The%20bellhop%27s%20tip%20%28%242%29%20s hould%20not%20be%20added%3E%3CBR%3Ebut%20subtracte d%20from%20the%20total%20paid%20%28%2427%29%3CBR%3 Eto%20obtain%20the%20price%20of%20the%20room%20%28 %2425%29.

Now where's my 6 pack!

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 14th, 2003, 06:35 PM
Another one that is a little clearer.

http://www.chemistrygeek.com/g1.htm

Disorder
January 14th, 2003, 06:36 PM
hey thats crap i said there isnt a missing dollar first!!!!

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 14th, 2003, 06:39 PM
I had already posted and deleted it to find a website that explained it better than I did. lol :p

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 14th, 2003, 06:39 PM
Remember, you have to show your work. lol

Disorder
January 14th, 2003, 06:41 PM
what? LIES!!!!!!!

Cypher
January 14th, 2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by LA_MERC_Dirge
Remember, you have to show your work. lol

OMG! EVIL MATH PROFESSOR FLASHBACKS!! doh!

[[Corvette]]
January 14th, 2003, 08:16 PM
Think of it this way: The guys paid $30 at first. Then the clerk gave the bellboy $5. So the guys paid $25 for the room. And the bellboy gave them each a dollar, which makes $28. And then he kept two, which makes all of the original $30. The "How much did the men pay total? $27" isn't true. The guys paid $28 total.

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 14th, 2003, 10:18 PM
No corvette you are wrong. The guys paid $27 total. There is no money missing. Check out the links if you are confused. :D

Rooster
January 15th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Dirge just like to flex his brain every now and then...you get use to it :cool:

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 15th, 2003, 01:32 PM
I want my 6 pack!!!!!!

Doing the 12 oz curl with my frontal lobe! w00t

}{y|3ri|)
January 15th, 2003, 02:22 PM
dirge wins he showed all his work

Rooster
January 15th, 2003, 03:06 PM
teachers pet!! teachers pet!!

Dirge, did you get beat up alot at school??

[[Corvette]]
January 15th, 2003, 03:09 PM
$30 - $2 = $28. And all Dirge did was copy some links...

Cypher
January 15th, 2003, 03:13 PM
He answered the question and provided the logic behind the answer... SoBe never said we couldn't cheat!

Cypher
January 15th, 2003, 03:15 PM
Of course, her professor probably said SHE couldn't cheat, and she threw that out the window... but that's another issue altogether.

I guess my point is, SoBe is a dirty cheater, but Dirge is not.

}{y|3ri|)
January 15th, 2003, 04:03 PM
dirty cheater!!!! w00t!

SoBe
January 15th, 2003, 04:59 PM
i'm not a dirty cheater. and thank you corvette. you helped me out alot. and hybrid...keep your little secrets about me to yourself!!

Matrix
January 15th, 2003, 05:16 PM
Sorry bro, but i don't even do my problems! hehehe...... am too lazy for that! and am good at math! :)
:matrix

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 15th, 2003, 05:29 PM
Where's my damn beer? And corvette if you pay attention I put up the links because they explained it more succintly than I did. And to be honest with you, it's not a math question. It's actually an accoutning question. And if you want a visual of the problem, you can construct a debit sheet to show the money flow. Basically, the bellhop stole $2 from the men and the men paid $0.66 apiece more than they had to pay. The funny thing is you still don't realize that. And don't start on some high school gifted math class you were in, I was in them as well and went on to take an additional 27 hours of Math in college, as well as 12 hours of accoutning.

}{y|3ri|)
January 15th, 2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by LA_MERC_Dirge
Where's my damn beer? And corvette if you pay attention I put up the links because they explained it more succintly than I did. And to be honest with you, it's not a math question. It's actually an accoutning question. And if you want a visual of the problem, you can construct a debit sheet to show the money flow. Basically, the bellhop stole $2 from the men and the men paid $0.66 apiece more than they had to pay. The funny thing is you still don't realize that. And don't start on some high school gifted math class you were in, I was in them as well and went on to take an additional 27 hours of Math in college, as well as 12 hours of accoutning.

:owned :jk2 :saw:

Cypher
January 15th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Dirgie's gettin' feisty! Get that boy a beer, quick!

LA_MERC_MadMAX
January 15th, 2003, 08:29 PM
I took as little math as possible in college, but would anybody like to discuss the political ramifications of the revolutionary war? (max was a history major...w00t!)

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 15th, 2003, 09:58 PM
I might as well have minored in history too.. I love history! Yeah, I'll discuss the ramifications with you...

Reign
January 15th, 2003, 10:24 PM
and i bet he could raise a child the correct way and actually give the child a bedtime...

Cypher
January 15th, 2003, 10:25 PM
uh-oh... he went there.... If you need me, I'll be hiding in ANOTHER thread far, far away...

[[Corvette]]
January 16th, 2003, 03:43 AM
Yes, Dirge is right and I'm wrong. But that's no reason to be insulting.

As for Reign and Disorder, both of whom have made the "how to properly raise a child" remark lately, how I choose to raise my child is my business. Seeing as you don't "know" either one of us except from playing an online game, I would appreciate it if you minded your own business.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
January 16th, 2003, 05:46 AM
Can't we all just get along. And boys and girl got watch Dirgey poo, The man is all brain, he is probably single handedly the reason I made it through engineering school. Like I could have done partial derivative or triple intergration calculus on my own, please! That and he kept me relaxed during exam time with good ole BEER! w00t!

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 16th, 2003, 06:48 AM
See...I never learned that secret...could have made things MUCH easier on me!

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 16th, 2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by [[Corvette]]
Yes, Dirge is right and I'm wrong.

w00t I NEVER get tired of hearing that!

And Andy, remember, you reciprocated by teaching me to pass out on loading docks and throw up on Stephens! lol

weeeee

SoBe
January 16th, 2003, 08:50 AM
actually dirge, i wasn't looking for the answers in percentages...i just needed a logically way to find the dollar that really wasn't missing in the first place. you see i'm taking math for elem teachers and your way couldn't explain that to a 2nd grader who doesn't undestand percentages, so no beer for you. and the way corvette explained it worked. so if anyone is getting beer, it's her! hahaha. but corona gave me a better way. and now that i think about it i should have asked my genius baby in the first place.

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 16th, 2003, 08:59 AM
Too bad her way was wrong and those poor elementary kids have been misled. :stick

I'm calling shenanigans on this one. Everyone get their brooms!!!!

gg sobe...

[[Corvette]]
January 16th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Sobe, what I should have said was this: The men paid $25 for the room, plus they "paid" the bellboy $2. Which makes $27. Plus the $3 the bellboy gave them back = all of the original $30.

The original question is misleading because of the way it's worded. The thing about how much the bellboy has throws you off because that $2 is already included in the total that the men spent, $27. The only money "missing" from the wording of the original problem is the $3 the bellboy gave the men back.

Cypher
January 16th, 2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by SoBe
so if anyone is getting beer, it's her!

Hm. Siding with the other female. How unexpected. :rolleyes:

But I suppose you WOULD like her explaination better anyway... for some reason, anti-logic seems to "make sense" to girls. :)

Disorder
January 16th, 2003, 05:59 PM
its like this....

AxBxC=X. if X is less than the cost of a recall, we dont do one.

Cypher
January 16th, 2003, 06:37 PM
hehehe

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==