PDA

View Full Version : Hunters. i need advice.

Disorder
January 8th, 2003, 04:48 PM
I want to go turkey hunting whenever the season opens but i know nothing about hunting in anyway. theres a couple guys that hunt on post here and asked me if i wanted to go with them. they said i should probably buy a shot gun but i dont know anythign about shotguns or hunting. i dont want to look like a nub so any help would be fantastic. if you could post some h4x or something id apreciate it.

Rooster
January 8th, 2003, 05:07 PM
Get a Winchester 1300 (pump action, fairly cheap, long lasting) Remington 870 (also a pump, great shotgun, so long lasting you can pass it down to your grand-kids) Get a tight choke or a variable choke(dealer will know what you mean) also make sure you get at least a 3" Magnum.

LA_MERC_Sniper
January 8th, 2003, 06:16 PM
they didnt ask ya to go snipe hunting did they?

LA_MERC_Sniper
January 8th, 2003, 06:26 PM
I have the 1300...Me no likey for turkey. If your going for turkey I recommend: Remington 870 Magnum 3 1/2" or Mossberg 835 3 1/2" or the ever so lovely Browning BPS 3 1/2" I have all of these guns and like them all but the shells I use hold a tighter pattern in the 835. If you are trying to save a few, stay away from the Browning its round $600 the other 2 are around $3-450. Happy Hunting .......... Oh and likeRooster said MAKE sure u get a good choke; oh and check pawn shops and gun stores that sell used guns. Sometimes you can find really good deals
Peace,
Robbie

:enforcer::sig: :ara: :rocket:

LA_MERC_MadMAX
January 8th, 2003, 06:59 PM
I used to have the 1300 - i loved that gun for doves...never been after turkey - may go sometime.

Disorder
January 8th, 2003, 07:02 PM
oh am i a nub.... what is the choke?

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 8th, 2003, 07:27 PM
The winchester model 1300 owns you all! I got mine (flat black finish) in 1997 for under $200 and it still rocks. Gotta clean it from the brackish marsh, but I guarantee it'll still work. BTW I have a Chrome Model 12 that is AWESOME and I have a 1886 Winchester lever action shotty that is just plain stupid cool.

Rooster
January 8th, 2003, 11:15 PM
the choke is what modifies your shot pattern. The looser the choke the wider the shot pattern (at a certain distance). Adversely, the tighter your choke the tighter the shot pattern. You want a good tight shot pattern for turkey, believe it or not it is hard to kill them.

LA_MERC_RPSNIPER
January 9th, 2003, 01:53 AM
The Mossberg 835 that sniper mentioned is a good gun. My brother has one and he loves it. I would buy a 3 1/2 though no matter what brand that you get.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
January 9th, 2003, 06:01 AM
Ok, I'll agree with Dirge and some of the others because I have a Winchester 1300. A cheap and Very Very durable gun with great action and weight. I have been hunting ducks for over a decade and it's a great gun, BUT this year I got a Benelli Nova pump 3&1/2" 27" barrel camo color with a super steel choke and for the price I don't think there is a gun on the market that can touch it. It holds a beutiful pattern at 40 yards shooting 3&1/2" number 2 steel shoot high mag. I would definately recommend you get a gun capable of shooting 3&1/2" shells since turkeys are very hard to get into close range.

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 9th, 2003, 06:16 AM
I would get a freak .50 cal so all you have to do is get close, and you'll rip is't head off!

Just messing with you!!!

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
January 9th, 2003, 07:33 AM
buy a benelli m4

Disorder
January 9th, 2003, 08:21 AM
i could try to "rent" a 203 but i dont think they would like it if i did that

LA_MERC_Mercy
January 9th, 2003, 08:24 AM
LOL. i have the mossberg and i have to agree, it is a great gun for turkey...and those things are not only ugly, but they are a tough sonofbiatch to kill...

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
January 9th, 2003, 09:57 AM
I would go for the Benelli Nova, 3 1/2in, camo for $440, there simply isn't a better pump gun on the market. I'm usually a Browning man but my brother just got the Nova this year and I'm tempted to switch. My only hangup is I'm left handed and I don't want to pay the extra money for a left handed model, the Browning's a bottom eject so I don't have to worry about it.

Rooster
January 9th, 2003, 10:08 AM
I agree that the Benelli is the better shotgun on the market but I don't know if he wants to pay that much for his first shotgun

Disorder
January 9th, 2003, 10:17 AM
im not wanting to spend a whole lot id be willing to spend at most probably 500-600 but shotguns dont seem to be all that expensive. i thought they were kinda high priced but i guess not. weeee:d:

Disorder
January 9th, 2003, 10:39 AM
ive heard nothing but good words about the Remington 870 so i guess ill get me one of those. now i just gotta find a place that sells them(shouldnt be hard in georgia) and clear it with the unit and ill be good to go. w00t

LA_MERC_Andyconda
January 9th, 2003, 10:25 PM
Nooo Disorder! the remington 870 is a good gun, But for around 400 you can get the Benelli Nova PUMP (They don't make'em any better than that without shelling out 4 digits). Do yourself a favor and get the benelli nova pump, the 870 won't shoot the 3&1/2" shells unless you get the super mag.

Disorder
January 9th, 2003, 10:53 PM
ahhh!

allrighty ill take a look at it. noone else i talked to up here said anythign about that one. but, if its as l337 as you say then might as well get the best.

Reign
January 10th, 2003, 04:17 AM
why don't you just buy an AWP funny guy HO HO HO , you'll probably be able to shoot it in real life..no lag, hehehe

LA_MERC_RPSNIPER
January 10th, 2003, 04:24 AM
If I were to go buy a shotgun right now I think I would go with the one Andy is talking about. That would have to be my first choice. My second choice I think would be the Mossberg.

Tracker
January 10th, 2003, 07:40 AM
Frist off I dont think I would make turkey hunting my frist ever hunt. It is one of the more harder hunts to master. It is very hard because turkeys are not color blind,and they can see everything.If it was me I would try to squiral hunt frist,then go turkey hunting.As far as guns go if you are not planing on becoming a advide hunter..Go to Wal-Mart and pick yourself up a cheap pump shot gun.For the money they shoot just as good as the rest. That is just my two cents..Tracker

-FA- Th|3f
January 10th, 2003, 09:41 AM
i say Browning all the way. They are really good and last a long time. My dad bought his when he was 13 and he is like 42 now, it is in better condition than anyother shotgun i have seen.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==