PDA

View Full Version : me full of it? i think not.

Fragmonkee
January 2nd, 2003, 11:03 AM
i dont know why im full of SH*T because if you do the math mr i have a collage degree and that makes me 100% smarter than everyone. allright lemmie break it down further....
7000+ feet per second
now there is 5280 feet in a mile, right?
sooo thats 1.3 miles per second...
now multiply that by 60, and you get 78 miles per minute.
now thats 4680 miles an hr. so you are telling me something that travels at 4680 wont break your neck or take it completely off??? the sheer freaking physics of the whole thing makes since...

LA_MERC_Onji
January 2nd, 2003, 11:06 AM
and your talking about what again?

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
January 2nd, 2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Fragmonkee
i dont know why im full of SH*T because if you do the math mr i have a collage degree and that makes me 100% smarter than everyone.

Just to clarify.....

Did you cut your GED into little pieces and rearrange them into a COLLEGE degree? Last time I checked a COLLAGE was small pieces, ofter pictures, ararnaged in a way to make a larger image.

Scott;)

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
January 2nd, 2003, 11:21 AM
While we are at it, Dirge and Andy BOTH have COLLEGE degrees in some form of physics if I'm not mistaken.

Onji, we are till talking about the .50cal round and what it will and won't do to a person.

Scott

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
January 2nd, 2003, 11:23 AM
From Dictionary.com.........

col·lage ( P ) Pronunciation Key (k-läzh, k-)
n.

An artistic composition of materials and objects pasted over a surface, often with unifying lines and color.
A work, such as a literary piece, composed of both borrowed and original material.
The art of creating such compositions.
An assemblage of diverse elements: a collage of conflicting memories.

Scott

LA_MERC_MadMAX
January 2nd, 2003, 11:24 AM
History/Music here...hehehe

Fragmonkee
January 2nd, 2003, 11:31 AM
lol, i got my high school deploma...and my associates degree.

Fragmonkee
January 2nd, 2003, 11:32 AM
riddle me this, look at the math....makes since doesnt it?

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
January 2nd, 2003, 11:41 AM
WTH R U Guyz talkn about??? Truthfully the people I see come out of college aren't really that bright because they have no clue about the "real world"!!

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
January 2nd, 2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Fragmonkee
lol, i got my high school deploma...and my associates degree.

You just keep giving me ammo Frag.....

di·plo·ma ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-plm)
n.
A document issued by an educational institution, such as a university, testifying that the recipient has earned a degree or has successfully completed a particular course of study.
A certificate conferring a privilege or honor.
An official document or charter.

Scott:d:

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 2nd, 2003, 12:04 PM
Hey Fragmonkee, nobody is dissing your math skills. We are talking about physical limitations. Firstly, the fact is that you are WRONG about the velocity of the projectile from a 50 caliber gun. The rounds travel in the range of 2800 feet per sec to 3000 feet per sec. They do not even approach the ridiculous speed of 7000 feet per sec cited by yourself. So it not by any means a question of mathematics. Believe me, Andy and myself know math. We have 27 hours of mathematics classes in our degrees, everything from Calculus to Differntial Equations to Fast Fourier Transforms and more. On top of that, the "mathematics" you pride yourself on is actually called dimensional analysis, and is a process used to convert measurements from one standard unit system to another. This is an application of mathematics. Oh and 7000ft/s is actually 4772.73 mph.

And let's just say you had an object that traveled that fast. That alone would not be enough to do the damage you describe. If you do not believe me, then try doing a search on the internet on ballistics reasearch. You can find several articles which research atmospheric and concussive effects from projectiles. Most involve firing rounds into gelatin-like substances by which the shockwaves and such can be more easily studied. I think you'll be rather interested when you see the results. We accuse you of propagating false information which you have done. Now consider the source you are getting your false information from and their motivation for it and you get a little perspective on the situation.

And as far as you being smarter than us, that is a statement you should never make, because the statement itself is proof of the opposite.

Andyconda and myself both have BS degrees in Mechanical Engineering, so take that for what it is worth.

sigh... What new comment shall you have next?

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
January 2nd, 2003, 12:06 PM
This what I found on the .50cal.....

Builder: Saco Defense
Numerous manufacturers originally produced the M2 Heavy Machine Gun.
Length: 61.42 inches (156 centimeters)
Weight:
Gun: 84 pounds (38 kilograms)
M3 Tripod (Complete): 44 pounds (19.98 kilograms)
Total: 128 pounds (58 kilograms)
Bore diameter: .50 inches (12.7mm)
Maximum effective range: 2000 meters with tripod mount
Maximum range: 4.22 miles (6.8 kilometers)
Maximum effective range: is 1,830 meters
Cyclic rate of fire: 550 rounds per minute
Unit Replacement Cost: $14,002

Q- What is the muzzle velocity of the .50 Cal?
A- 3,050 ft per sec. (2,080 MPH)

http://www.armystudyguide.com/m2/studyguide.htm

The link takes you to the site where I got the FPS info.

Scott

Fragmonkee
January 2nd, 2003, 12:34 PM
hey i was thinking about something else on that muzzle velocity, my bad, i called sgt thompson at work, and the sabot rounds are actually faster than that, but not far off. but look....2080 mph?!?!??! that is still fast enuff to do lethal damage even if it dont hit ya...LOOK everyone that is trying to flame me on this one, why dont you go pick up a freaking rifle and go with us. look i could care less if the .50 cal could rip a head off, im just quoting what an experienced marine told me. have yall ever fired one? i have.

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 2nd, 2003, 12:38 PM
We are just trying to help you realize to not believe everything you hear. And a near miss will not be lathal. It may be debilitating, but not lethal. And a lot of the people that have responded here have fired a 50 cal.

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
January 2nd, 2003, 12:42 PM
The main reason you're getting flamed is you make statements like, "I'm 100% smarter than all of you." Blanket statements like that are always gonna get someone's ire up. There are some VERY educated people that post here. I don't know too many people who can say they have a US patent for ANYTHING. Plus, you keep beating up the issue when we've proven otherwise with the muzzle velocity. Remember...you started this thread over again.

Scott

Disorder
January 2nd, 2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by LA_MERC_Dirge
. ...to Fast Fourier Transforms and more.

did you just insult omega?

SnAkEbItE
January 2nd, 2003, 03:18 PM
Why yes I belive he did...

Maximus
January 2nd, 2003, 03:38 PM
ACK! All this thread business coming from a person that posts more than he plays...Frag, DO you even play?

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
January 2nd, 2003, 03:57 PM
In his defense he can't really because of his comp and connection. Whne he gets out of the military he should be on more. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Scott

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 2nd, 2003, 04:21 PM
Dirge, I disagree...

If someone shot a .50 cal round even close to me (on purpose) I think I would die...of a freakin heart attack!

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 2nd, 2003, 04:56 PM
My opinion:

A .50 cal bullet (although larger than, say, a .22) does not have enough mass to inflict any damage (other than psycological) to a person that was missed. Granted, they would feel a pressure change (the skin MAY even feel as though something is pressing on it, but merely for a fraction of a second), and their hair may move a little...but no body parts would be lost.

Just my opinion...not backed up by any facts (or math) at all...

I am an idiot.

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
January 2nd, 2003, 05:39 PM
:stu Just agreeing with you.:D

Scott

Fragmonkee
January 3rd, 2003, 01:34 AM
it moves like a boat through water...makes since? i mean i dont know if it has ever been done, but it seems possible. lol i guess this is a situation where a tree falls in the woods, and does anyone hear it? i mean statistics say that all trees make noise when they fall, but if noone is there to witness it does it make a sound? well you all know the story...
frag out.

Fragmonkee
January 3rd, 2003, 01:36 AM
yeah, and one more thing...im sure i was going to lans before alot of peeps on this forum. i cannot get a connection fast enuff to play so i try to keep in touch with the guys on this site...my team almost took the dagl lan, we made it to the last game, and due to being the cts on cs_assault, it was a difficult flip of the coin.

Fragmonkee
January 3rd, 2003, 01:37 AM
lol maximus, look at my registration.

Maximus
January 3rd, 2003, 01:45 AM
If you're talkin about your profile, that explains alot, since you're only 4 and a half years old...LMAO!!!

Cypher
January 3rd, 2003, 06:02 AM
OOOOOHHHHHHHHHH, it all makes sense now.

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 3rd, 2003, 06:10 AM
Frag...the boat through the water was a great example. The boat passes a near-by boat at a high rate of speed. The boat that was passed (granted, water is a much more kinetic substance than air...I think) will begin to rock and sway because of the waves produced by the force of the passing boat.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==