PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Houston??? maybe

LA_MERC_Sabre
December 19th, 2002, 12:42 AM
Does anyone know anything about Houston. Like where the better areas to live are? I'm probly moving there in a couple of months so some inside info would be nice. The area i'm looking at is west or northwest area. any suggestions?

oh by the way, they do have ice hockey leagues there w00t!

LA_MERC_Dirge
December 19th, 2002, 06:59 AM
I have friends that live there. They live in north and northwest and it's pretty nice. That city is too dang big though.

LA_MERC_Diesel
December 19th, 2002, 07:42 AM
We will tell our long winded best bud K-BOMB
to give you some short insight on the living situation
of H-town.

K-BOMB
December 19th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Too dang big? It's only about 70 miles in diameter...a quaint little town if I ever saw one. :)

If possible, I would factor in my commute to work when choosing a place to live. A lot of the industry in Houston is on the east and southeast side - just in case you don't want a refinery or chem plant in your back yard. West and northwest are probably the most populated, so there's more stuff to do, but more traffic to deal with. I live on the northeast side of town, which probably has the least amount of traffic in the mornings.

Personally, I love living in Houston. Cost of living is low, real estate is pretty cheap, and there is a ton of stuff to do (sports, museums, theater, parks, shopping). After living in Ruston for five years, the ridiculous number of restaurants in Houston was a welcome sight. We spent most of our disposable income dining out our first year here! If you like Mexican food, go straight to Pappasitos - Dirge and Diesel will back me up on this.

If you have questions about a particular area, just let me know...

LA_MERC_Dirge
December 19th, 2002, 08:11 AM
hmmm papasitos....

LA_MERC_Diesel
December 19th, 2002, 08:21 AM
OMG Papa's will r0x0r your b0x0rz
literally, but dang it is good.

Tracker
December 19th, 2002, 08:30 AM
When I was in Houston I was all over the 610 belt way and even got lost looking for my exit..If you wanted to live just outside of Houston, there is a little town called Cypruss(I think that is how it is spelled) I love the people and place..The whole time I was down there no drive by shooting or stupid stuff like that..Its just an over all nice place to live..And its only 20mins from Houston..
Tracker

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
December 19th, 2002, 09:46 AM
That means you'll have to be a Stars fan then. HAHAHAHA!!! That's gotta kill you coming from the North. Although being a Stars fan ain't a bad thing with the way they are playing this year. If ya ever want to talk hockey I'm your Huckleberry.....lol

Scott

Fragmonkee
December 19th, 2002, 11:00 AM
i lived in spring (north of houston) but if you got the bank, move to the woodlands...i worked at the jiffy lube there, gotta do inspections on ferraris, porsche, and some other really kool autos. go to fitzgeralds on whitehorse rd in downtown..3 story punk bar! w00t

Fragmonkee
December 19th, 2002, 11:02 AM
papacitos?!? off of 1960???? ugh!

K-BOMB
December 19th, 2002, 04:03 PM
No, not papacitos...Pappasito's. Good food, decent prices, huge portions. I've never heard of papacitos.

Woodlands is very nice...but your commute will pretty much suck no matter where you work (unless you work in the Woodlands).

Not sure if you meant pro hockey or leagues that you can play in. The Houston Aeros (AHL) are the primary affiliate of the Minnesota Wild, but the closest NHL team is indeed the Dallas Stars.

If you meant leagues you can play in, there are indeed such leagues. I know co-workers that have played in them...

Oh, and Tracker, 610 and the Beltway are the two loops that go around Houston. Loop 610 is entirely inside Beltway 8 - they are about 12 miles apart. So if you somehow ended up on both 610 and the Beltway at the same time, then you were indeed the most lost person ever :)

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
December 19th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by K-BOMB

Oh, and Tracker... then you were indeed the most lost person ever :)

He has been proving that repeatedly as of late...nother good one bro.

Scott:d:

LA_MERC_Sabre
December 19th, 2002, 05:09 PM
lol at Tracker, i've only been there twice and knew that he was talking about 2 different highways. boon.

fyi, my place of work will Cameron, which is about a mile or two west of the I-10 and Beltway intersection. Oh and BB, i will never cheer for the stars as the robbed my favorite team of the Stanley Cup a few years back...yes the "no goal"...i am a huge Sabres fan. My family used to have season tickets. But i was talking about actually playing hockey. it's been 6 long years here in monroe without playing ice hockey. can't wait.

Is there pretty good places around that area to live. you know like schools and such?

LA_MERC_Dirge
December 19th, 2002, 05:14 PM
If the beltway goes around the city, and the I-10 goes east-west... Isn't that two seperate locations? lol

And K-bomb lives by the taco bellgrande chichanga school.

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
December 19th, 2002, 05:25 PM
:slp :stick :loser

Scott

LA_MERC_Sabre
December 19th, 2002, 05:29 PM
yes, but earlier i said "west side of houston". i just assumed you had read that.

LA_MERC_Dirge
December 19th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by LA_MERC_Tracker
I love the people and place..The whole time I was down there no drive by shooting or stupid stuff like that.. Tracker

Man, last night at about 4 AM, I was RUDELY awoken by some popping noises. As I roused from my coma, I realized... "Hey, that sounds just like a sidearm." In fact about 2-3 clips worth. Probably about 6-7 blocks away (1/2 mile or so). So I think to myself... "hmmm, I'm still tired, someone closer will call the police, I won't have to give a report on something I didn't witness, and maybe if I'm lucky, they got each other." Woken about 10 min later by 2 single shots, forgot to check the news today. I'm sure it'll show up in the crime stats page next week.

w00t

If you're lost in my neighberhood walk towards the riverbend, NOT S Claiborne AV.

K-BOMB
December 19th, 2002, 06:04 PM
I know the Cameron building you are talking about. There are tons of good neighborhoods and schools on that side of town. You should have plenty of options - and a decent commute to boot! It's a pain getting downtown from the west side as I-10 is VERY busy. They will begin widening it soon (approx 22 lanes including feeders - YIKES!) But that doesn't sound like it will be an issue.

I thought I knew my way around Houston pretty well...but now I have to go find this taco bellgrande chichanga school that Dirge is talking about :)

LA_MERC_Sabre
December 20th, 2002, 12:34 AM
i would like to teach my kids another language, maybe they can learn spanish at the taco bellgrande chichanga school for the gifted.

thanx k-bomb, maybe we can hook up when i move over there in march.

K-BOMB
December 21st, 2002, 12:45 PM
Roger that...what will you be doing over at Cameron?

LA_MERC_Sabre
December 21st, 2002, 03:05 PM
i'm graduating from LA Tech in March for Mechanical Engineering. My official title will be "Product Design Engineer I". What about you?

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==