PDA

View Full Version : ping question

*Lotus*Dredg
December 18th, 2002, 09:16 PM
If i get a new video card will it lower my ping, someone told me it would but it sounds suspicious to me...

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
December 18th, 2002, 09:33 PM
It will not lower your ping but it may increase your fps in game which is your frames per second. Low fps can cause "ingame lag" but it does not directly affect your ping.

*Lotus*Dredg
December 18th, 2002, 09:43 PM
ok thanks

LA_MERC_Yankee
December 18th, 2002, 09:49 PM
Low fps, can definitely cause "ingame lag." Take it from an expert. The ping helps a little, but the fps is really what kills. Whenever I start laggin, I just have another beer b/c I know that I'm already dead.

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
December 18th, 2002, 09:53 PM
Maybe this will help a little

Low FPS + High Ping = Why are you even playing this game because you probably can't even get out of spawn
Low FPS + Good Low Ping = ingame lag
High FPS + High Ping = ingame lag
High FPS + Good Low Ping = good quality gaming enviroment

Since the video card only addresses the FPS part of the equation, I leave it up to you to determine the rest.

*Lotus*Dredg
December 18th, 2002, 09:55 PM
i have 200 ping on avrage but no lag what so ever, its strange, and i have this high ping even if i use a server close to home

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
December 18th, 2002, 09:58 PM
Do you have broadband?

*Lotus*Dredg
December 18th, 2002, 10:36 PM
yes i do, i dont know why its so high

LA_MERC_Sabre
December 18th, 2002, 10:52 PM
that's pretty weird. i have dsl and get anywhere between 50 and 150 ping depending on number of peeps on server.

*Lotus*Dredg
December 18th, 2002, 10:55 PM
dunno, guess ill just have to live with it, atleast in not lagging, but sometimes when playing a server other then LA_MERC i get ki for igh ping and t pain... but ooh well

*Lotus*Dredg
December 18th, 2002, 11:01 PM
*kicked for high pin and sometimes thats a pain... but ooh well
(my key board isnt working too well lately)

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
December 18th, 2002, 11:04 PM
Try to drop console and type these commands and see what happens with your ping

rate 9999
cl_updaterate 40
cl_cmdrate 45

also, may try to see if you are getting any type of packet loss or if maybe its a router that you go through that is close to you that is causing some latency issues. Maybe try some to run some tracerts to the servers.

*Lotus*Dredg
December 18th, 2002, 11:06 PM
ok, ill try that right now, thanks

*Lotus*Dredg
December 18th, 2002, 11:11 PM
i just tried the console thing and thing, it didnt even verify that i wrote anything in... strange

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
December 18th, 2002, 11:19 PM
If you try the cosole thing I suggested then u can find what the present values are by just typing the command without the numbers like

cl_updaterate
cl_cmdrate

after u type the command, it will give u back what its presently set to.

*Lotus*Dredg
December 18th, 2002, 11:23 PM
I jst did that, there set to waht you said to set them to, but still have that ping curse heh

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
December 18th, 2002, 11:25 PM
Then try running some tracerts to different servers and set what the results are.. may want to try a few broadband "tweaks" also

*Lotus*Dredg
December 18th, 2002, 11:27 PM
im a newb so i dont realy know how to do that, but ill try to figure it out hehe

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
December 19th, 2002, 12:57 AM
Illegal op is a gawd (refuse to spell it the other way:D) with that stuff and the rest of us have a few tricks up our sleeve. Keeping checking in and we'll be glad to help you out.
FYI...it won't acknowledge those commands in console so don't worry.

Scott

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
December 19th, 2002, 06:39 AM
Do you have multiple computers link through a router sharing the broadband connection?

LA_MERC_Diesel
December 19th, 2002, 07:37 AM
:bow Toby(Op)

Man to be that knowledgeable and helpful
really says what a class act you are. I know I
can speak for everyone that uses this forum
:d:Thanks.

Mike

LA_MERC_Mercy
December 19th, 2002, 08:12 AM
man it is getting deep in here...*looks around for my boots*...ahh that is better

LA_MERC_Diesel
December 19th, 2002, 08:25 AM
shut it!
Just run around barefoot and
curl ya toes in it :p

LA_MERC_Mercy
December 19th, 2002, 08:32 AM
EWWW :slp

LA_MERC_Andyconda
December 19th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Toby is awesome and the cl_updaterate and cl_cmdrate work fine in my console.

LA_MERC_Dirge
December 19th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Andy... Why does your avatar show Apocalypse? lol

*Lotus*Dredg
December 20th, 2002, 05:06 PM
no i dont have multiaple computers running off my dsl, and i make sure that all programs arent running, so im not sure whats wrong

on anothr subject anyone know where i can get a good free pop-up blocker they distrupt my game every half hour

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
December 20th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Maybe you have a crappy dsl connection.
Pop-Up Killer works great.

LA_MERC_Maverick
December 20th, 2002, 06:27 PM
Low FPS + High Ping = Why are you even playing this game because you probably can't even get out of spawn

hehehe....this is me most of the time....especially when my dialup connection is being extemely stupid

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
December 20th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Dredg.. Is it a regular popup or is it a grey message box? People are now sending advertisements via Net Sends which just cause a grey message box to pop up on your screen with some text in it. They are spamming your IP address with it. Either than are you may have some type of spy ware program on your computer that is generating those adds. Might try www.lavasoftusa.com and get their spyware removal program and also maybe a firewall if that does not help. www.zonealarm.com will get u a free trialware firewall so u can determine if the popups are via net sends.

*Lotus*Dredg
December 20th, 2002, 08:42 PM
wow, thanks alot ive been trying to solve thids problem for quite a while, help

JUNKY
December 20th, 2002, 08:56 PM
Depends on what version of Windows you are running, but if it's 2000 or XP, clikc
Start
Settings (Skip this if you are running XP)
Control Panel
Performance and Maintenence (Skip this if you are running 2000,or XP in classic mode)
Administrative Tools
Services
Look for messenger in the list - doubleclick it
little window pops up -- click on Stop
Then on Startup type, select Disabled and then click on apply at the bottom
you have just disabled netsend, and you should no longer get those little grey boxes in the middle of the screen showing your IP address and lame a$$ advertisements about meeting college singles, or refinancing your mobile home, or how to buy a quality black market giraffe or whatever.

If you still get annoying popups -- like illegal said -- Run Ad Aware you can download it at www.lavasoft.de and disable whatever it finds.

LAtes,
JUNKY

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==