PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Cops,and anyone with DMV experience..

JUNKY
December 16th, 2002, 11:26 PM
Little Background:

I've been wanting an old VW Beetle to restore/modify for years now, and have located a guy in Tyler,Texas that has several on property that he recently purchased (the property, not the cars - the cars came with the property) Many of the cars are rough shells and floorpans, and they are all missing motors and transaxles -- he says that from what he can tell they were all stripped of driveline for dune-buggy transplants.

He has no titles for any of them, and is willing to let whoever haul them off for a low price.

I fear that Louisiana (Being as bass-ackwards as it is about everything)will have some really screwy laws about trying to get a title for the car if I pick one up and bring it back to work on.

I don't want to spend many months and several grand on building a sweet car just to find out I cant get it titled in this state.

My other fear is that the cars may have been stolen, and stripped (I have no reason to believe this is the case, just paranoia I guess) and left out on some remote property.

If I obtain VIN#'s could any law enforcement officer run the VIN's to see if they come up clean? Possibly even locate the last registered owner if I need to try to find clear title?

If anyone in the LA DMV can help, I'd appreciate it as well...

thanks,
JUNKY

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
December 16th, 2002, 11:32 PM
Well, try this. Get the VIN from the one you want and go to (not call) the local PD. Tell them the whole story. If it is clear , you should be able to get it registered as a salvaged vehicle. Do you kow anyone in Texas that can put it in thier name??? That would be the easiest way then have it transfered to you. If not, you gonna have to check with LA DMV. But whoever you ask, make sure you ask AT LEAST one other person (preferably a supervisor). The DMV is the most screwed up, HUA, dipsh17, group of retards this side of probation officers....BEWARE FOO!!

Scott

JUNKY
December 16th, 2002, 11:43 PM
I know - I had extensive dealings with several of their mentally challenged workers when I found out that I had a 3 year old arrest warrant out in Monroe back in 2000.

I had a wreck in 97 that I knew was my fault, so I went and paid the ticket that next week and decided to not bother with going to court.
Anyone notice how the court only takes cash or money order? Well I paid in cash , some $200, and went on my merry way.

3 years later I get a letter in the mail saying my driving priveleges have been revoked and i have to return my license to the DMV. This is a stemming from a bench warrant out caus eI never went to court. I never went to court cause I paid the ticket. The court never got the money cause the teller-person pocketed my cash -- turned out 3 other people had the same issue fron having paid tickets in the same week that I did. I had moved and could find no receipt from 3 years before, so I had to get a lawyer to handle setting everything straight (good thing I was working for a law firm at the time) In the end though, I still had to pay about another $300 buck in fines and fees to get my record straightened out.

And yes I have several friends that live in Dallas and Austin that I might be able to use if need be.

thanks,
JUNKY

LA_MERC_RPSNIPER
December 17th, 2002, 03:10 AM
My suggestion is to take the vin number to the dmv and let the run it. They could then tell you what all you need to have to get it registered in LA. I agree that they can be a pain in the ass and I myself hate going up there, but they should be able to give you that info to you. I can run the vin number for you to make sure that it is not stolen if you like, just give me a call at work on Tuesday after 6pm. Ruston Police Department, 255-4141.

LA_MERC_Dirge
December 17th, 2002, 06:35 AM
Hey my family has a 1972 Yellow beetle in Keithville just sitting around. I think it ran last time it was started. It's been a while. We have the title.

JUNKY
December 17th, 2002, 07:18 AM
Have any idea if they wanna get rid of it Dirge?

Thanks,
Junky

LA_MERC_Dirge
December 17th, 2002, 07:41 AM
I'm almost 100% sure. I drove it in high school. At Christmas, I'll talk to my dad and find out some details on it as far as engine condition, etc. Then I'll let you know what they would take for it, etc. It might be next week before I can find out, is that soon enough? I can also bring my digital camera home and take some pics of it if you would like and can wait that long. Just let me know.

JUNKY
December 17th, 2002, 08:16 AM
thanks!

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==