PDA

View Full Version : Question on memory?

Omega_Prime
December 7th, 2002, 11:51 PM
guys i just bought a stick of 256 ddr 2100 pny ram, i already have two sticks of 128 ddr 2100 kingston, now i figured that this wouldnt matter but for some reason my system went haywire when i put it in, i mean i thought i had killed my pc, it keep coming up with faults and wouldnt load windows, im takin this crap back and spending the extra 20 bucks to get kingston. can someone tell me what happened?

Omega_Prime
December 8th, 2002, 01:27 AM
o by the way im usin a a-bit kg7 mobo, for some reason it seems to only like kingston ram, i bought a stick of 512 ddr when i first put my new system together and it didnt like it either. also i took that stick of pny out and reboted my system, now it seems to run just fine, o well looks like im off to monroe again monday to get some kingston, but could someone please shed some light on to why this mobo is so freakin picky?

LA_MERC_RPSNIPER
December 8th, 2002, 02:25 AM
Have no idea. I have a a-bit mother board also and I am running corsair pc 2100 and have had no problems.

JUNKY
December 8th, 2002, 06:42 AM
No clue Mike -- I havent heard much about the PNY ram, and your mobo should easily handle at least 768mb ram -- seems weird, but was the ram you bought ECC (error checking?) or is the ram in your box already ECC? If so, I have heard about differences between ECC and non ECC ram being used together.

Did you try just running the PNY memory by itself without your Kingston installed?

Cypher
December 8th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Sometimes motherboards/memory are picky about each other. And I've heard a few bad things about PNY -- but I have no experience with them to back that up.

Personally, I've stuck with Crucial memory for years now. Their site allows you to choose your exact computer make/model (or motherboard make/model if custom) and it will then list all their compatible memory chips. You can choose the size and parity type you want, and see some detailed specs on the chips. All their memory is tested and guaranteed, and I can say that they're easy to work with in the even that you get a bad chip. Of the 15 or so sticks I've bought from them over the years, I've gotten ONE bad stick -- the exchange was very painless. And their prices are pretty good. Not quite the prices you find on no-name-brand memory at a Circuit City or someplace like that, but they definitely compete with Kingston and PNY prices. www.crucial.com

Cypher
December 8th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Even if you don't buy from crucial, their site has a lot of documentation about choosing and troubleshooting memory. Check that out; it may answer your question.

LA_MERC_i||ega|-op
December 8th, 2002, 03:11 PM
You should not use ECC and Non ECC ram in combination with each other. Not a good idea.

Omega_Prime
December 8th, 2002, 03:15 PM
im not sure toby and chris but i know one thing im not puttin that stick back in my system ill just wait and get some kingston monday when i go back up to monroe. man i swear ive had the worst luck with memory.:eek:

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
December 8th, 2002, 08:54 PM
I've got an abit board too. it's kinda picky about the ram. I used to have 2 sticks of some old 128 mg ram. I got a new stick of 256 from crucial and tried putting it in... thing wouldn't post sometimes, other times it would hang in startup. I pulled the 2 128 sticks out, and put the 256 in by itself in slot 1. no luck, still wouldn't boot. I put it in slot 2, and it's worked fine ever since.
if you got time, you might want to play with it some, leave the case off, and try different positions (kinda like with a new girlfriend but it's a computer, wait, that doesn't sound right) put the 256 in by itself, in slot 1, try to boot. if no good, unplug the comp, and try slot 2....and so on. may not work in any position, but there is a chance it might.

Tracker
December 8th, 2002, 10:09 PM
Mine did the same thing when i put in new mem...I was told that i would have to put in a name brand..That might help

Tracker

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==