PDA

View Full Version : Haswell on the way

LA_MERC_DocSparky
June 26th, 2013, 08:34 AM
I took advantage of Newegg's recent combo deal and ordered the Core i5-4670K and ASROCK Extreme6 motherboard (and 16GB ram) to replace my E8400 in my development machine (main home PC). It turns out that the E8400 doesn't support the CPU features necessary to run the WP8 emulator, so it was time to update. I figured that since I was making the big switch (and reinstalling the OS) that I would make the move to an SSD at the same time. Not sure what I'm going to do with all this speed. At least it better be fast.

You know it's always fun to order new parts, but you always have that feeling in your gut where you are hoping it doesn't end up being a train wreck getting your stuff reinstalled.

LA_MERC_DocSparky
July 5th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Fastest OS install. Ever.

Man, an SSD makes a huge difference in overall speed. New machine is purring along smoothly. My 2GB HD 6950 is now the bottleneck in my system when it was the fastest part in my previous system. Pretty cool. The ASRock Extreme6 is a nice board. Really impressed with it. Now to reinstall apps and move everything over. Uggh.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
July 8th, 2013, 05:13 PM
I scared to try an SSD.. afraid it might blast of into outer space or something :)

LA_MERC_DocSparky
July 10th, 2013, 10:30 AM
:), yea I hear there have been a few reported cases of that.

LA_MERC_Spark
August 13th, 2013, 02:28 PM
I like that board.. I ordered 20 of them for workstations here.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==