PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Kayak

LA_MERC_DocSparky
July 11th, 2012, 06:36 AM
I'm looking at picking up a kayak this summer. Anybody have any experience with kayaks? I'm going to be doing some fishing out of it as well as some exploring/camping. Right now, I'm looking at the Wilderness Systems Ride 135. There's a used one in the area.

If you've got one, chime in and give me some boats that I should take a look at.

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
July 12th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Doc, this is what is borrow from a buddy of mine to go out in http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/Canoes-Kayaks-Small-Boats/Canoes-Kayaks%7C/pc/104794380/c/104710680/sc/104252580/Freedom-Hawk-Pathfinder/1332696.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fboat ing-canoes-kayaks-small-boats-canoes-kayaks%2F_%2FN-1100570&WTz_l=SEO%3Bcat104252580

It seems to work well for me, its the only one I have played around with however, the outriggers seem to really help in chop and getting fish into the boat.

LA_MERC_DocSparky
July 13th, 2012, 06:18 AM
Never tried one with the outriggers. I can imagine it would help a lot with the chop. Kind of curious about how well they maneuver in tight spaces? I would be up in the marsh with mine as well (instead of just open water).

My truck heard that I was looking for one and decided to have problems. That will probably slow down my kayak search for a little while.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
July 15th, 2012, 06:19 PM
next time use the code word new tires, this way your truck wont suspect anything:)

LA_MERC_DocSparky
July 16th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Haha... yea, so true.

next time use the code word new tires, this way your truck wont suspect anything:)

Captain
July 29th, 2012, 02:23 AM
No exp with yak's but i got bass boats! after all the snakes and gators i have seen i would never fish out of a yak! i live in port allen,la now.

LA_MERC_Spark
August 1st, 2012, 07:30 AM
damn.. it's Captain! :D

LA_MERC_DocSparky
August 1st, 2012, 08:13 AM
Ended up getting a new Tundra double cab last week. Now to save up for this yak (http://www.austinkayak.com/products/5991/Wilderness-Systems-Ride-115-ACK-Angler-Kayak-Package.html).

The newer yaks are designed such that you aren't really in any more danger than you would be in a regular boat. I suppose there's always a chance though. Might have to bring some "lead based" snake repellent with me. :stick

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
August 1st, 2012, 08:48 AM
looks like a good choice for ya doc, its addicting for sure

Captain
August 2nd, 2012, 12:00 AM
Just don't get one in camo! I almost killed a dude in the basin earlier this year! those camo yaks are hard to see @65 on the water lol

Captain
August 2nd, 2012, 12:02 AM
damn.. it's Captain! :D

Thats Right! BOOM! Head SHOT!

LA_MERC_DocSparky
August 2nd, 2012, 06:51 AM
Just don't get one in camo! I almost killed a dude in the basin earlier this year! those camo yaks are hard to see @65 on the water lol
Yea, I've heard that camo yaks are pretty unsafe on the open waters because of that. I'm thinking that a sand color might be okay, but even that is pretty hard to see.

Speaking of unsafe, how in the world did you not kill yourself going 65 in the basin? Lots of stuff to avoid out there.

Captain
August 2nd, 2012, 01:03 PM
there are lanes to run. With the new GPS graphs we have established safe trails we can follow. Set up correctly it shows your projected heading and all.

Plus a bass boat is only about 4-5 inches in the water at that speed. It is crazy. I have hit a stump or two in my years and experienced a blow out (which is scary as hell)

In older age now I can't really go race dirt bikes anymore. my body just can't take that pounding anymore. So flying in a bass boat is where my adrenaline rush comes from now LOL.

I am safe about it. I won't be going wide open down a winding bayou. the place I almost hit the dude was bayou black. That area see's a little barge traffic now and then so any stumps/logs have been dredged out or broken off by the barge itself.

Will you be fishing or just doing it for a work out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2K8wMBFIk0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krfkKqeeyhw&feature=related

LA_MERC_DocSparky
August 2nd, 2012, 01:48 PM
Will you be fishing or just doing it for a work out?

It's mostly to get away from my computer and spend some time outdoors. I grew up in the sticks, but now live in the burbs. This is an easy way for me to get out of the house. Since the land is all leased up, the water is the best way to find some freedom close to the city. I want to be able to throw the kayak in the back of the truck, drive 5 minutes and drop it in the Amite River.

For the most part, it's just for getting out and exploring. I used to hike, but my knees just can't take 10+ miles a day with a heavy pack. I figure if I'm out there on the water, I might as well bring a fishing pole.

Captain
August 2nd, 2012, 06:27 PM
I hear that. I'm a welder so I have no idea what its like to work inside. I did not make a good decision when choosing this profession. The only good thing is I can stay out in the heat on the weekends without getting to tired.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
August 3rd, 2012, 06:48 AM
I hear that. I'm a welder so I have no idea what its like to work inside. I did not make a good decision when choosing this profession. The only good thing is I can stay out in the heat on the weekends without getting to tired.

welding... heat?? no way?

LOL.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
August 3rd, 2012, 06:52 AM
Ended up getting a new Tundra double cab last week. Now

I bought a Tundra Double cab a while back,, very nice trucks.. Gobbs of power.

LA_MERC_DocSparky
August 14th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Got my kayak and tried it out in the University Lake around LSU. I still need to get it all rigged out. Since this pic, I've added a Scotty rod holder mount on the slidetrax and this weekend I'm going to get a couple more rod holders installed behind the seat.

The yak did well though and it's definitely stable enough to stand. I had no problem standing on the deck in front of the seat. If I can get another break from the rain, I'll head out with my tackle box.

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
August 14th, 2012, 08:43 AM
SWEET! I really enjoy when I can get out, which right now is very limited lol. Great way to fish and also get a nice workout, the quiet is also very calming to me. Enjoy Doc! want pictures of that first fish!

Captain
August 14th, 2012, 12:04 PM
I saw a yak with a trolling motor mounted on the side of it yesterday. Guess it was a backup if the paddle broke. LoL

Captain
August 14th, 2012, 12:23 PM
cool yak btw! you will have lots of fun from it that is for sure! you will sneak up on the fish really easy.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
August 14th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Nice Doc. Now get some sun on those legs. :)

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
August 15th, 2012, 08:32 AM
says the whitest dude in MT :p

LA_MERC_DocSparky
August 15th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Heh, yea MT doesn't scream out "nice tan" to me either. Getting some sun is definitely on my TODO list though. You got to get outside and away from the computer to do that and that's what I'm planning.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==