PDA

View Full Version : Voltages, Temps, etc...

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 2nd, 2011, 09:43 PM
I can only hope HWMon is reading something horribly wrong...any ideas? I'm specifically looking at my -12V reading, my -5V reading and the TMPIN2 Temp reading.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 3rd, 2011, 04:52 AM
Ok- did some searching this morning, and from what I can find, I should ignore the "-xV" readings because newer motherboards don't use them and don't have sensors - does this sound correct?

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 3rd, 2011, 06:21 AM
ok - this is an example of the stuff i'm reading, so I'm guessing I'm ok, and HWMonitor is just not being accurate: http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/800322-voltage-readings-cpuid-hw-monitor.html

Everything is nice and stable, and running Prime95 now.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
February 3rd, 2011, 07:09 AM
Jayson I don't know a whole lot about MB voltages temps, and overclocking for that matter, all I can wish you is good luck and good reading..

Well.. I do know a little "Like enough to be dangerous"

I figured I'd chime in just I can say I did...LOL

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 3rd, 2011, 07:16 AM
I think I'm ok - everything I've read so far says that CPUID Hardware Monitor (or any software that reads voltages) is funky, and especially on the "negative" voltages...

My "+" readings, and my readings in BIOS are rock solid, so I'm confident I'm fine...I just kinda freaked when I saw that last night.

It's been running Prime95 since 6:30AM and is solid as a rock so far - watching it via RDP from work.

LA_MERC_FragFood
February 4th, 2011, 09:06 PM
I've never been really trusting of onboard sensors - that's why I have a decent multimeter. Read the damn voltages yourself and be done with it. It'll at least tell you if the sensors are BS-ing you or not for future reference.

And the negative voltages will read correctly as well...

LA_MERC_YellowDog
February 5th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Amen to that brother, when it comes to the electronics I work with on daily basis, a Fluke 73 meter has been my best friend for the better part of 11 years. I trust it to find devices with internal shorts with only a 1/2 volt variance from a good circuit to a bad circuit, to locating remote panels with earth grounds after a lighting strike in a 300'000 square foot building.

If all else fails, a meter will never lie :)

LA_MERC_FragFood
February 6th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Except when your third party contractor attempts to measure the resistance of the closest AC socket. Which he did. :-/

LA_MERC_YellowDog
February 7th, 2011, 06:53 AM
DOH!! and how did that work out for ya!

I guessing he ran into all kinds of resistance when he stuck those leads into a live 110/120 VAC socket :)

LA_MERC_FragFood
February 9th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Well, the sparks were purty.

He looked at me afterwards and said (I SWEAR) "What?" Like it was the expected result.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==