PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Selecting a Flat Screen TV, Guys

LA_MERC_YellowDog
December 9th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Well, It seems my wife is getting a little Christmas bonus from work so we have decided to invest in a good flat screen TV..

Now I know absolutely nothing about them, I've never owned 1, we have been getting by on a 32in monster CRT TV for a few years now so this will be our first 1.

Were thinking of something in the 45 - 50in range, and price between 500 and 1000 dollars.

So whats out there now that's a good bang for the buck that wont crap out in 3 years (just because that's how they are TV's)

LA_MERC_Tugboats
December 9th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Vizio LCD's, best bang for the buck, guaranteed!

LA_MERC_Onji
December 9th, 2010, 02:22 PM
What tugs said.
Dont go DLP.
Get either LCD / LED or Plasma

Also for TV's. I ALWAYS suggest going to a store that has them setup so you can see for yourself what looks better. Dont go on reviews only.
Vizio's are primarily a Walmart brand
For everything else, find a bestbuy or something so you can see them. Hell they may even have some sales right now.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
December 9th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I was reading an article on LCD VS LED TV's to find out that LED TVS are really LCD/LED TV's They are just using LED's for back lighting Versus using Florescent. The general consensus I got from the article is the LED back lighting does present a longer life span, however since they haven't been on the market for very long its hard to say for sure. Other advantages are truer black's Vs Dark greys of florescent.

LA_MERC_Onji
December 9th, 2010, 02:51 PM
That was my last one LCD with LED backlighting. I went with sony this time because it looked the best on the floor, and they only had the floor model available so i got it cheaper than normal :)

LA_MERC_Drax
December 9th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Sony Bravias are amazing, they're just kind of pricey. My brother has 2 samsung LED LCD tvs, not only is the picture amazing, the tv is extremely thin and light. I think he got a 46" for 1600 bucks. I have a 55" Olevia LCD I got for 1000, but they're out of business now I think and its a 250 lb tv. I've had LG and Vizio, Sony Aquos as well (its pretty tight too), but I'll go with Tugs, Vizio seems to be the best bang for the buck.

LA_MERC_goose
December 9th, 2010, 06:36 PM
How's this look?

Samsung 46" Class 1080p 60Hz LCD HDTV - Black (LN46C530)
$749.00

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
December 9th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I'd get 120Hz ..

LA_MERC_YellowDog
December 10th, 2010, 08:46 AM
I'd get 120Hz ..

Im under the impression that you need at least 120 hz, any higher and your not going to notice a difference, however between 60 and 120 you can.

LA_MERC_FragFood
December 11th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Sam's Club had this (http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod1480528&navAction=) Vizio 55" tonight. Looked pretty nice.

Though not as nice as my new TV (http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod1260183&navAction=), hard to beat for the price.

Sam's was really piling on the Vizio deals a couple weeks ago, I mean stacks of 'em.

LA_MERC_Blown68Kamaro
December 16th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Well I just bought a 32 inch Emerson from Wal-mart, it was rated at 720p, well I plugged my PS3 into it and when I look at the resoultion on the TV Settings it states it is at 1080i! I gave 275.00 for it. I am very happy with it. I hope this helps. I looked at it in the store on demo before I bought it. One other note. If you go to BEST BUTTHOLE, I mean BEST BUY, DO NOT BUT THE HOUSE BRAND TV. It is really cheap, I forgot the name, its like bravado or something like that. The box is brown with blue lettering. The rub is that TV has a 15 day warranty period. If it breaks after that your stuck with it. If you do get that TV you MUST buy the extended warranty. That pissed me off so badly, that I went to wal-mart, found the Emerson got it 50 bucks cheaper and it has a two year warranty that you Don't have to buy. Go figure.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
December 17th, 2010, 05:32 AM
I think at this point we are leaning towards the Vizio brand, but we are still unsure of which one to get. We are really digging the VIA internet apps available on the newer LCD-LED models, but we didn't want to spend quite that much cash. So its either wait a couple of months to put back some more money, or go with a cheaper 47/46 in LCD model.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
December 17th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Vizio gets my +1 and Samsung LED's are sweet.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==