PDA

View Full Version : Initiating the handshake?

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
September 27th, 2010, 10:01 AM
So I just have a question about Spiceworks itself. Since I am not a programmer on any sorts, and really I screw up more programming then fix, I thought I would parlay this here.
Spiceworks has the ability to be a remote collector on another network. It is designed to be agent-less so there is no agent per machine. To connect the remote collector one must first install spiceworks on a local box, then go to settings and turn on the remote collector and then Spiceworks initiates a handshake with the central server to report via ssl. It gives you a number you must enter via the login into the central server. This says hey this remote collector is okay and you are done. Everything is now ran through the central server interface.
I would like to initiate the handshake more like openVPN does. You add the user/site then distribute the client for that site. So I could add the remote collector connection, then send a link of that connection to an email to finalize the set up via one install.
Do you think this could be done? I would think so but I am not a programmer. Yet openVPN uses ssl to connect so I figure the process could be replicated for Spiceworks if one knew the code.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==