PDA

View Full Version : What file sharing program do you use?

Scorpius_Ogre
September 8th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Do you guys use Bittorrent? If not... whats your favorite file sharing application?

-Dave

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
September 8th, 2010, 03:04 PM
P2Onji

LA_MERC_Spark
September 8th, 2010, 08:38 PM
utorrent

LA_MERC_FragFood
September 8th, 2010, 10:00 PM
uTorrent as well.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
September 9th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Bittorrent is my friend, however I may be a little behind on whats the best application at this point.

Scorpius_Ogre
September 9th, 2010, 10:53 AM
I'm not sure if you guys remember me from the Counter Strike days. But I am a C++ software engineer living in the Hammond area. Anyway I have written a Bittorrent client application and I was hoping to find some people to beta test my application.

Give it a try and tell me what you think:

http://www.scattertorrent.com/downloads/scattertorrent.zip

Ignore my website.. its still under construction and I really suck at web design.

Btw... what games are you guys playing these days? Is the old CS server is still up?

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
September 9th, 2010, 11:57 AM
The Old CS server is not up any longer. Some of us still play CS:1.6 here and there.
I play CS:Source, L4D, L4D2, BF:BC2, BF2, Alien Swarm.

LA_MERC_Wetzny
September 9th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Welcome Scorpius.

BC2.

LA_MERC_Maverick
September 9th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Vuze (http://www.vuze.com) is my choice.

LA_MERC_FragFood
September 10th, 2010, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure if you guys remember me from the Counter Strike days. But I am a C++ software engineer living in the Hammond area. Anyway I have written a Bittorrent client application and I was hoping to find some people to beta test my application.

Give it a try and tell me what you think:

http://www.scattertorrent.com/downloads/scattertorrent.zip

Ignore my website.. its still under construction and I really suck at web design.

Btw... what games are you guys playing these days? Is the old CS server is still up?

So what's the selling point for your app? What makes it unique or preferable to existing clients?

Scorpius_Ogre
September 10th, 2010, 02:14 PM
So what's the selling point for your app? What makes it unique or preferable to existing clients?

Well I was planning on keeping the application totally free so I would not describe the features as selling points. I have managed to duplicate most of the uTorrent features while maintaining a more modern interface. I have worked very hard to keep cpu usage and memory usage to a minimum.

Most other torrent clients such as Vuze/Mainline are actually written in Java or Python and have a much higher resource usage. ScatterTorrent is written in pure C++ with a splash of ASM optimizations here and there.

There are so many possibilities for the future... such as media player and media organizers. But I really do not want to include all of these things into a single binary. My next step is to add a plug-in architechture so that users can pick and choose how to extend the torrent client. And later I will release extension dynamic libraries.

I am always open to suggestions... so if you have any feedback I would be happy to listen. Thats why I am contacting friends and old friends... so I can get some feedback before I go public.

-Dave

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
September 10th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I will get it loaded up. Let you know.

*Edit*
I tried it.
http://www.lamerc.com/uploads/scattertorrent_error.jpg

Running Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit
4Gb RAM
64Gb SSD
GTX285 GPU

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
September 10th, 2010, 03:14 PM
If I run it in compatibility mode or as Administrator nothing happens except the UAC warning and then nothing.

Scorpius_Ogre
September 10th, 2010, 05:15 PM
If I run it in compatibility mode or as Administrator nothing happens except the UAC warning and then nothing.

wow, thanks for the report... I have fixed the problem and uploaded a new binary. I tested this build on both Win7 x64/x86 and XP/x86 and everything appears to be stable. Could you confirm?

-Dave

LA_MERC_Onji
September 10th, 2010, 06:07 PM
couple of picky things.

i attempted to download a .torrent file and open it directly with 'ScatterTorrent.exe'. The .torrent file finished downloading and scattertorrent launched. But there was nothing in the list for it to download. I had to click the 'add' button at the top and browse out and open it that way. Tried it with FF and IE

other than that, i like it. nice interface. clean. just enough info.

couple of features to consider.
-Minimize to tray
-The ability to drag and drop your .torrent file to the open window of scattertorrent and add it that way.

Also, maybe when you get bugs etc worked out you can put it in an installer of some sort.
thx

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
September 11th, 2010, 01:16 PM
So where is the best place to find torrents for a beginner?

What are torrent sites to steer clear of?

FYI- It installed fine this time. Ran quick.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==