PDA

View Full Version : PS3 or Xbox360?

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
November 16th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Which one would be better and why(i.e. longevity, problems, service....)?

LA_MERC_DocSparky
November 16th, 2009, 01:03 PM
MS has now worked out their RROD problems with the 360, so I would say longevity/problems is a wash between the two. Service is very good with the 360, but I would imagine it is pretty good with the PS3 as well. Game selection is going to be very similar on the consoles with each have a few exclusives (Halo series, Valve games vs Uncharted, GOW series). Both are very good systems. Both have Netflix Instant watch client.

-Want a Blu-ray player? PS3
-Want to spend a lot of time playing online multiplayer? 360 + $40 per year live is best, but PS3 MP is free (yet not quite as good)
-Want a Windows Media Center Extender? 360
-Want to play downloads and rips? both will do it

In reality, the best reason to get one or the other is finding out what your buddy down the street has since swapping discs will save you some $s. You'll end up playing more games with them as well. I kind of wish I had one of each, but I'm happy with my 360.

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
November 16th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Thats an awesome un-bias review for ya rook. The only reason I re-bought the ps3 was because of the blue-ray, if that doesnt matter to you I probably would have gone 360 for a change of consoles. And no on-line pay fees (ps3). Go play both of em if ya can and then decide.

LA_MERC_LaTech
November 16th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I got the PS3 because of Blu-Ray initially. It was the "Hmm...a BR player is $300, but the PS3 is $400...a gaming system AND a BR player for just a little more? I'm sold." Players have come down A LOT recently...but so has the cost of a PS3 (well, $100 anyway). All depends on what you want it for...online gaming? 360...there, I said it. Some gaming and BR player? PS3.

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
November 16th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I guess I dont get why the 360 is better on-line? Granted Ive only played xbox online like 5 minutes 2 years ago, dunno-

LA_MERC_DocSparky
November 16th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I guess I dont get why the 360 is better on-line?

As Sony implements more features, the PS3 gets better (closer). They are still missing things like cross game VOIP and parties. When you get online you can join a party with your friends and just start talking to them. They can be in any game and you can all talk. When you want to join a TDM match, you can just invite the party and they all go together into the same match. I know that might not seem like a big deal, but when you play online a lot it makes a big difference.

Another thing that makes is more of online system is the # of people playing online regularly. People generally buy 360s for online (just like a lot of people buy PS3s for Blu-ray and don't play online much) so that sort of bread an environment. So you have a pretty serious community out there.

I'm not a guru on this stuff, so take it with a grain of salt.

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
November 16th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I only had a few people on my list on the last ps3, so I never really got into the party thing which Im sure is a huge deal.

LA_MERC_Skitsvelvet
November 19th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Their both money sinks...

LA_MERC_Wetzny
December 7th, 2009, 02:29 PM
One more time!! PS3 or Xbox????

LA_MERC_DocSparky
December 7th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Why are you considering a console? Your answer will help you make that choice.

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
December 7th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Question your choice you must.

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
December 7th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Their both money sinks...

So is paying monthly to play a game...whats your point.

LA_MERC_Wetzny
December 8th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Well... Console..hmmm. Lets see, I think my son and I would enjoy playing with and against each other. Considering there is little to no gaming going on around here, I thought a console might allow me to play a bit with some of my friends. And I don't have one and can afford one... That's about it, I think.

Thanks!!

LA_MERC_YellowDog
December 8th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Haven't bought a console in Many Many years, until I just recived a Wii for my wife. She's going to get it for Christmas.

I know that doesn't help any, but thats my 2 1/2 cents. :)

Oh, btw, I've never gamed on a Wii either, so I have no idea if I'm even going to like it.

LA_MERC_DocSparky
December 8th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Well Wetz, you would be happy with either. My boys prefer the controllers of the 360 over the ps3. We have a Wii, but don't play it much. Ask him what his buddies have and get that one. Your clanmates are split between the different consoles so don't expect a unanimous recommendation.

Updated: I'm not sure how much the PS3 has in this area, but there are a lot of privacy controls for child accounts on the 360. My boys can have their own account (and gamerscore/achievements), but I authorize people on their friends list. They also can play online, but can not voice chat with people unless they are on their friends list. One of the big reasons that I got into the consoles was that it was easy to buy a game and play splitscreen with them (1 game for all of us). Halo 3 was great about allowing up to 4 people to play co-op on the main story on the same screen. I don't think the $40 per year for the XBOX Live gold will be a financial limitation for you, so get the 360 and we can play. Okay, see I let my personal bias get in the way.

LA_MERC_Wetzny
December 10th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Doc my issue is with the Xbox control's... I sux with them. Now the PS2 controls, I'm golden... :(

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
December 10th, 2009, 03:21 PM
looks like an easy choice then.

LA_MERC_Wetzny
December 11th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Yeah.. I guess it was. lol

LA_MERC_DocSparky
December 11th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Getting better at MW2 Sling. btw, you'll love MW2 Wetz.

I noticed that Logitech has a IR to Bluetooth converter box that will let me use my Harmony universal remote (which is most awesome) with the PS3. I think I'll probably buy a PS3 to use a blu-ray player. Right now I have a 360 on my desk beside my computer hooked up to my monitor that I use with my main rig. I'll still use it for most of my gaming with the DocSparky Jr.s in the house, but maybe I can jump on the ps3 some as well.

LA_MERC_Wetzny
December 11th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Well the more I read, the more it seemed the PS3 would do more as a Media Center and Gaming device vs the XBOX. We shall see... You know me I use about 15% of any systems capabilities, but considering I can remove my Sony Dreamsystem 2.1 media device and replace it with the PS3 and it's 7.1 audio it should be good to go!

See you there doc!

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
December 11th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Getting better at MW2 Sling. btw, you'll love MW2 Wetz.

This will be cool getting some killing in with you nubs. My new favorite thing to do in MW2 is stealing enemy care packages...haha. Did rook go ps3 or xbox?

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
December 15th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I have an Xbox 360 in da house with MW2. Not really played it much. I will let you know. Ty keeps ranting on how sick MW2 is. I may get up the gumption to give it a go.
I have a Wii and I will be purchasing a PS3 soon. Just picked up the Wii fit board and will be getting some more goodies during Xmas season and Birthday.

LA_MERC_Wetzny
December 16th, 2009, 11:00 AM
PS3 was delivered yesterday, now wrapped and under the tree. :(

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
December 16th, 2009, 01:35 PM
wait till bedtime, get up, unwrap, play, re-wrap, back to bed..Easy!

LA_MERC_DocSparky
December 16th, 2009, 01:41 PM
wait till bedtime, get up, unwrap, play, re-wrap, back to bed..Easy!

This is where a huge gift bag would rock.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==