PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP SP1 Activation Changes

Metallion
August 23rd, 2002, 06:39 PM
Alright, since this is now public domain I figured I'd share with you guys what is going to change regarding Product Activation in the forthcoming Service Pack for Windows XP. It appears all the changes are positive... I know there was some debate on this topic earlier so here's the skinny:

Customers who place their Volume License Key in an unattended setup file (unattend.txt) will be able to encrypt the VLK such that it will be time limited and hidden from plain text.

Users will have up to 3 days to re-activate Windows XP after making a hardware change that triggers the need to re-activate. Previously, users were required to re-activate immediately upon the next boot after the hardware changes were made.

Service Pack 1 for Windows XP will contain fixes to cracks used by software pirates to circumvent activation. Installations of Windows XP patched by a crack will require activation after SP1 has been installed.

In order to protect customers and Microsoft against product key attacks, the product key used to install Windows will be included in the Installation ID for all activations completed after SP1 has been installed. Internet activations will send the entire product key while telephone activations will send a hash value of the product key in order to limit the increase in size of the telephone Installation ID.

Service pack 1 will fail to install on Windows XP installations using either of two well-known pirated product keys. Additionally, Windows Update will verify the product key used to install Windows XP against a list of valid product keys to ensure installations made with cracked or pirated product keys will not receive access.

So if you've got an illegal copy of XP (you know who you are) then you'll probably either want to come clean or wait for a Trojan...i mean...pirated patch to be available online :D I think setting Windows Update to deny invalid cd keys is the perfect way to combat piracy. This may spark pirates to actually rip/hack the critical updates and you will be pretty much at their mercy for all of your updates...

Oh and if you're a system builder, look for a KB article explaining how to take advantage of that nifty encrypted key for unattended installs soon.

Lexian
August 23rd, 2002, 10:08 PM
umm what he said...

Metallion
August 23rd, 2002, 11:21 PM
lol muwahaha now you won't even be able to get updates! You had better get everything up to date before Windows Update 5.0 launches next month!

Metallion
August 23rd, 2002, 11:54 PM
hmmm maybe you'd like to get the updates that patch the several security issues that exist in XP....oh but you wouldn't know about those would you...maybe you should scan your hard drive more often for random text files...let me know if you find any that have "0wns j00" in them ;)

[lag]DikDstrdly
August 24th, 2002, 12:14 AM
heh heh somehow that doesn't suprise me...b00n! Over the course of the last year, I've accumulated 4 legit copies of xp pro from microsoft for a total outlay of 49 bux. Being a Microsoft OEM System Builder has its perks...

It was just a matter of time before Bill used the technology available to him to keep from getting ripped off. Not that it makes any difference to HIS bottom line...

Nice post, Metallion..heh heh Vicious got hacked...lol

Metallion
August 24th, 2002, 12:22 AM
what's funny is I can't remember where those text files were that were placed on his hard drive...hell I don't even know which computer it was because he's got them all connected through a Netgear router.

Dead
August 24th, 2002, 10:40 AM
yea well - this is how it really is - 2 days after XP was launched it was crack what makes you think sp1 will be any diff. Not like billy boy doesn't have enough cash layin around.

w00t to us... er da h4x0rs

Metallion
August 24th, 2002, 08:25 PM
lol actually it was cracked right after the RTM build was signed off on (remember the fanfare with Bill actually signing the RTM on one of those nifty new Tablet PCs over an 802.11b network)...I watched it live on Tech TV. You h4x0rs can keep your hacked versions...I'm happy with my 5 user licence of XP and SP1.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==