PDA

View Full Version : Steam Hell

LA_MERC_Onji
August 25th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Let me tell you guys a little story. This happened to me over the weekend.

I recently bought dawn of war 2 on steam because I enjoyed the first one and it was on sale. So i play all day saturday, going through the single player campaign having a blast.
I get up sunday morning, and my steam is logged out. I was like whatever, and retyped my password in, 'wrong password'. I tried again, 5 or 6 times. Same thing. So i did a password reset, then pulled up my gmail. I noticed i had a couple of emails from about 7:41am saying my password has been successfully changed. There was something wrong about this because I didn't get up until about 10.

Someone had hi-jacked my steam account.

I freaked. I went to the steam site, and there is a whole section about hi-jacked steam accounts. It asks for all kinds of information. One of those is that if you registered a cdkey in steam from a store bought game. You can write your account name by the cdkey and take a picture or scan it and send it to them.
I ran to my shed, and dug for like an hour and found my original jewel case for Half-Life and the one for CS retail. I took a pic of both.
Another way to prove its your account, is if you have ever purchased a game through the steam store with a CC. you can give your CC details, and last 4 digits of the CC. I had done that too so I gave them all that info.

I submitted the ticket sunday about noon, and just this morning I got an email from steam saying that my account was indeed hi-jacked and i provided enough info to prove its mine. They reset my password to something generic, and I got my account back. phew

So if you're like me and don't have a complex password, go right now and reset your steam password to something stupid hard. There are people out there that steal accounts and sell them off. I was lucky to react fast enough that they didn't get to use the account and get me banned from vac or something.

:d:

LA_MERC_Wetzny
August 25th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the heads up!!

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
August 25th, 2009, 10:04 AM
SO "password" is not a good enough one ?

LA_MERC_DocSparky
August 25th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Whoa! That's is pretty freaky Onji. Mine is definitely too easy (slightly more than 'password'), but not obvious. I'll remedy that now. Thanks for the heads up.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
August 25th, 2009, 11:15 AM
heh. I am changing mine also. THanks Onji.

LA_MERC_RPSNIPER
August 25th, 2009, 05:13 PM
man I log on and loaded up CS for a little while today. I had a blast. Talk about bringing back some old memories. Found a server were you respawn as soon as you die and the round goes the time limit or until the objective is completed. I think I died more than I killed people but it was a lot of fun..lol.

LA_MERC_Spark
August 26th, 2009, 07:48 AM
man.. I haven't logged into steam in a long time.. hope mine is ok O.O

LA_MERC_Spark
August 26th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the heads up Onji.. just got into mine and amped up my password.

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
August 26th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Im on the LAG server every night for an hour or 2.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
August 26th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Im on the LAG server every night for an hour or 2.

What are the LAG server IP's Now. i went looking for them a while back and could not come up with anything. Are they still running the 1.6 server, or have they gone strictly to source?

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
August 26th, 2009, 12:02 PM
I am also on the LAG server most nights.

Hop on in if there is room.

Add me to friends if you do not have me. thee_rook

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
August 26th, 2009, 02:41 PM
What are the LAG server IP's Now. i went looking for them a while back and could not come up with anything. Are they still running the 1.6 server, or have they gone strictly to source?

Nope 1.6 only. IP is 72.29.117.201:27015

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==