PDA

View Full Version : Is Windows a Virus?

Crazy White Boy
July 3rd, 2002, 12:01 PM
No, Windows is not a virus. Here's what viruses (viri?) do:

They replicate quickly -- OK Windows does that.

Viruses use up valuable system resources, slowing down the system as they do so -- OK Windows does that.

Viruses will, from time to time, trash your hard disk -- OK Windows does that too.

Viruses are usually carried, unknown to the user, along with valuable programs and systems. Sigh... Windows does that too.

Viruses will occasionally make the user suspect their system is too slow and the user will buy new hardware. Yup, that's with Windows, too.

Until now it seems that Windows might in fact be a virus, but there are some differences:

Viruses are well supported by their authors, are running on most systems, and are universally compatible. Their program code is fast, compact, efficient and they tend to become more sophisticated as they mature.

So, Windows is *not* a virus.

Metallion
July 3rd, 2002, 01:15 PM
*sigh* I know the post was meant to be funny but all of that just isn't true and since I'm bored I'll go ahead and defeat it.

--Viruses use up valuable system resources, slowing down the system as they do so -- OK Windows does that.

Last time I checked it was programs running within Windows that used up resources and slowed down the system...

--Viruses will, from time to time, trash your hard disk -- OK Windows does that too.

Once again programs running within Windows will from time to time access a section of memory that isn't there or will do some weird things...XP has fixed this by putting programs in their own memory blocks so when the program goes down it doesn't take the system with it.

--Viruses will occasionally make the user suspect their system is too slow and the user will buy new hardware.

I think the games that you play on Windows will make you think that your system is too slow. Install Windows clean on a 300mhz computer with 128mb of RAM and I bet you it will run great. Now try to play Counter-Strike or Soldier of Fortune II on that same computer...yup you need some new hardware.

--Viruses are well supported by their authors, are running on most systems, and are universally compatible. Their program code is fast, compact, efficient and they tend to become more sophisticated as they mature.

Thats just dumb...when is the last time your virii came with a README.TXT and Online Knowledgebase? Universally compatible....will all viruses run on Windows, MacOS, and Linux universally? Take a look at Windows XP side by side with Windows 98se...I think Windows has come a long way since the 9x (4.0 kernel) days...

Noxious
July 3rd, 2002, 02:12 PM
Nice Try Crazy, lol.

Crazy White Boy
July 3rd, 2002, 02:56 PM
I just founds it, and thought it was funny

LA_MERC_RiverRat
July 3rd, 2002, 04:04 PM
A virus is omething that makes a physical entity sick. This could be a stationary item such as a computer OR - it could be a human being.

Frankly I say that windows is a virus cause ITS MAKING ME SICK!!!!

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==