PDA

View Full Version : Web Development

LA_MERC_goose
June 7th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I'm starting to look at other / new forms of web development besides what I've been using the last 5 years which no one here has seen or heard of, except maybe Doc. Who is using what and what are your thoughts and feelings on it's simplicity and usability?

Use small words 'cause I'm without my helmet and window flavored gum this week.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
June 8th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Well goose, if i had gotten into web dev. like I was trying to do a few years ago, I might
could chime in... but since I stopped (AKA.. Left ACS) I dont have any useful input, so I will STH up now. :)

LA_MERC_goose
June 9th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Wow, guys ... has the well of knowledge dried up and blown away?

LA_MERC_LaTech
June 9th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Sorry, Gooser...I don't do any web dev...I outsource all of that. I do know a guy though that you might be able to talk to, if you are interested.

LA_MERC_DocSparky
June 9th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Your two main camps (lots of other ways, but these are the big ones) are ASP.NET and PHP. I don't like to build my future on Microsoft web stuff because they change things so frequently, but I hear that ASP.NET is pretty nice. After working with ASP scripts and having different DB issues (weird ones), I switched over to PHP with mySQL for the DB. Most of the open source web apps use PHP so that makes it easier to get info and scavenge code from other apps. The performance is also a little better and you can drop your code on any cheap linux web host out there and it will work (or setup a LAMP server yourself). I really like working with the PHP, but I they are really in need of a standard environment. MS's strong point is that Visual Studio is a well refined interface.

In all of this, at some point you have to deal with HTML (or XML) and at that point I become limited due to being visual design challenged. I will sometimes use MS Expression to build a quick and dirty view of what I want to accomplish and then move that over to the interface layer. You'll want to do a lot of learning on AJAX and jQuery. This really provides a lot of the interactivity in the Web 2.0 apps that is popular. Basically you are using javascript to do things client side without having to hit the web server again to get the whole page.

That's my 2 cents.

LA_MERC_goose
June 9th, 2009, 08:15 AM
That doesn't sound much different that the way I'm currently doing it ... which is good. Currently I design the screen using Panther, then I design the display with a HTML template driven mainly by the global CSS and it all uses the javascript file we have running on the webservers. This is all connected using WebSphere ... which I personally know little about.

I have a side project going for lanyards and leashes but I want to design a decent web page for my stuff without having to pay someone. I'd love to play around with some flash and whatever else would make it look better than just plain ol' HTML code.

LA_MERC_Spark
June 9th, 2009, 09:46 AM
notepad FTW!!!! LMFAO

LA_MERC_DocSparky
June 9th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I don't do any web development for work (well, a little here and there), but most of what I do is personal stuff. I like to keep the budget as thin (read FREE is good). You can do some pretty amazing stuff quickly with PHP (especially using some of the IDEs out there). This is definitely not cutting edge though. There are a lot of Java and ASP.NET frameworks out there that cut the time to market.

I'm trying to avoid Flash. It's definitely cool, but I'd rather not be married to either Adobe or Microsoft. Same goes for Silverlight. Good luck with it.

LA_MERC_Onji
June 9th, 2009, 05:08 PM
i heard ruby on rails is good, i haven't played with it though

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==