PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking question

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 9th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Am considering designing and building a headboard out of oak with 3x3 posts and 1x4 cross pieces with 1x4 slats.

Does it make more sense to purchase a cured 3x3 post, or to take 1x4 boards, glue them together and cut it down? Which one will warp less?

Am wanting to do this mortise and tenon style with no screws and just use glued dowels to hold it all together. Wise? Better options?

LA_MERC_goose
January 9th, 2009, 05:28 AM
I think the 1x4's would warp less because of the difference in the grains. They'd have a lot harded time.

I love the idea, LT. It's a challenge and I'm sure you'll have fun with it.

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 9th, 2009, 05:33 AM
That's what I was thinking too...with shorter, longer and different directions of the grains, it shouldn't warp near as much. Will be much more difficult, but that makes it that much more worthwhile!

LA_MERC_YellowDog
January 9th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Tech.... Just a reflection on why you do wood work? Is it because for a large part of the year the weather is too cold and messy to get out and do outdoor projects. SO you end up creating things indoors, in a shop or garage?

BTW... I realize you like to do wood work :)

I have some friends in Ann Arbor, and they go into hibernation during the winter time and work on indoor projects simply because its too nasty outside, E.X- 3 feet of snow on the ground.

LA_MERC_LaTech
January 9th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Why do I do woodworking? I enjoy creating something out of something else. To think of something that you want to build...something useful...sit down and draw it out. Then, when you buy the wood and you're looking at it and you can see everything come together...it's just awesome.

The creating aspect of it...changing one thing into another.

LA_MERC_DocSparky
January 9th, 2009, 10:24 AM
This isn't about your love of woodworking, but you comment made me think of this Jack Handy quote:

I remember how my great-uncle Jerry would sit on the porch and whittle all day long. Once he whittled me a toy boat out of a larger toy boat I had. It was almost as good as the first one, except now it had bumpy whittle marks all over it. And no paint, because he had whittled off the paint.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
January 9th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I remember how my great-uncle Jerry would sit on the porch and whittle all day long. Once he whittled me a toy boat out of a larger toy boat I had. It was almost as good as the first one, except now it had bumpy whittle marks all over it. And no paint, because he had whittled off the paint.

LOL... yea that sounds like a Jack Handy quote :)

LA_MERC_YellowDog
January 9th, 2009, 01:40 PM
BTW... Thread Hijack warning

My favorite Jack Handy Quote

Better not take a dog on the space shuttle, because if he sticks his head out when you're coming home his face might burn up.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==