PDA

View Full Version : MS Disk Defrag error...

LA_MERC_Wetzny
December 13th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Never had an issue previously and tonight I wanted to use my MS defrag utility and of course at Analyze a error popped up Disk Defrag could not start. Any suggestions?

I'm running the AVAST anti-virus which Onji posted a few weeks ago and of course a new MOBO in the last 60 days, but I ran this defrag program 2 or 3 weeks ago with no issues.

Thanks!

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
December 14th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I'd suggest running scandisk with the repair option

LA_MERC_Wetzny
December 14th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I guess I can google it and find one right? Thanks Toby

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
December 14th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Vista right?

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2231/vista_run_system_file_checker/

LA_MERC_Wetzny
December 15th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the replies... No its my gaming rig which is still workin with XP. It appears that I've been infected with some type of virus. At the moment I'm trying to get a fix loaded but, I'm having no success doing that. Took a Malware program down from my Laptop, dropped it on to a flash drive tried to install it on the infected machine and the download won't go past the setup file on the desktop.

LA_MERC_LaTech
December 15th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Get the hijackthis EXE (not the installer), run it from a pen drive and post what you come up with...

LA_MERC_Wetzny
December 15th, 2008, 08:57 AM
here it is .. TY

LA_MERC_FragFood
December 15th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Looked through the hijackthis.txt file - didn't see anything amiss. Did you try and run the Malwarebytes setup in safe mode like I suggested the other night?

LA_MERC_Wetzny
December 16th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Yes, nothing with .exe will engage in safe mode, or at a CMD prompt and I can't get out to any internet sites which may have a fix on it. What I have loaded, I loaded with my flash drive, but nothing will execute...

Thanks all for the help...

LA_MERC_LaTech
December 16th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Yeah, I didn't see anything on the log file either. Read something like this the other day...let me see if I can find it.

http://safety.live.com
Also, from that site, try renaming the exe's to something different (like rename malwarebytes to banana.exe) and see if that does anything.

LA_MERC_LaTech
December 16th, 2008, 09:15 AM
What about pulling the drive, slaving it off another computer and running a scan that way? AV, Spyware, MalWare etc...

LA_MERC_FragFood
December 16th, 2008, 03:56 PM
What about pulling the drive, slaving it off another computer and running a scan that way? AV, Spyware, MalWare etc...

Ahhh, ya beat me to it. Get a USB adapter or something and hook it up to your lappy, Wetz.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
December 17th, 2008, 11:54 AM
External scanning was not something he really wanted to do. I used the command line scanner from AVG in Safe mode and have freed up a little wiggle room. Was able to run SmitFraudFix.exe to clear up some TCP/IP related issues. Running Malwarebytes in Safe Mode as I type.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
December 18th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Almost all white and right in the world.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==