PDA

View Full Version : You won't read this in the NYT....

LA_MERC_Wetzny
July 8th, 2008, 06:39 AM
http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IBDArticles.aspx?id=300323577877918

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
July 8th, 2008, 08:42 AM
This seems a little to "Johnny come lately" to me. You mean to tell me that the guy whose approval rating has been the worst ever as a President, been called a liar, a war monger, a stubborn headed, go after the guy that made Dad look bad clown, a puppet, etc...., would hold this info all this time? Why? So he could snub his nose at us on the way out? To say I told you so? If that is the case then I think worse of him yet.

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
July 8th, 2008, 09:22 AM
This seems a little to "Johnny come lately" to me. You mean to tell me that the guy whose approval rating has been the worst ever as a President, been called a liar, a war monger, a stubborn headed, go after the guy that made Dad look bad clown, a puppet, etc...., would hold this info all this time? Why? So he could snub his nose at us on the way out? To say I told you so? If that is the case then I think worse of him yet.

I can imagine a lot of reasons why he would keep the info secret.

1. he doesn't want nearby enemies to mount a large scale attack to obtain the uranium - even if we could hold them off and defeat them, it would result in massive casualties

2. we weren't in a position to remove the substance from the country at the time. so it would have been... Hey we found WMD, but we can't do anything about it...

3. they were trying to figure out what to do with it. not like you can put it in the trash can and have waste management haul it off your curb.

4. after figuring out what to do with it (sell it to a non-volitile country I'm sure was the main goal since they ended up selling it to Canada), they had to figure out what part everyone was going to get. I doubt Canada got it for free, so where does the money go? it belonged to iraq, but we liberated them.... lots of diplomacy needed.

5. you, no matter how you perceive it, are not in a need to know position.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
July 8th, 2008, 09:26 AM
5. you, no matter how you perceive it, are not in a need to know position

A LOT of this has been around for say......7 yrs and some change. That is why he will be remembered as prolly the worst rated President ever.

Sooner or later you have to give information to us...the people you WORK for. This is OUR country, not the President's country. THe media is leaning left, but it is not their fault this was never mentioned. With the media outlets available today.

1. Bait them into an open conflict that we can see and defend and get large scale casualties on their side.....Nah prolly would never work.

2. It doesn't take 5 yrs to pool the resources out of one of the largest commercialized countries to move that. Yellow cake is produced by any country that mines uranium. It is one step in the process of Uranium use. Yellow cake is majority used for powering Nuclear plants. We handle yellow cake in this country prolly daily. Yet we couldn't move it right away.....okay it takes time.

3. See #2 and #4.

4. It did belong to Saddam Hussein. If I remember correctly.....he is dead. So are his heirs, Larry and Moe. This is where the take charge President we have should have stepped in and said, "Thank you Canada for helping us rid the world of possible , future, through stringent enriching, WMD Yellow Cake. You did the World a service. Peace." That would prolly been cheaper than hiding and defending it for 5 yrs. He would have had to explain the enrichment process to make it a WMD and where the facility is or was going to be built in Iraq that was going to do that enriching. Can we say Iraq-nobyl. Would that have been a bad thing?

Why this was never mentioned for such an amount of time, who really knows. There are just way to many of these type coincidences that have gone in this country for a while now. To much Grey areas.....To much speculation.....not enough real answers.

LA_MERC_goose
July 8th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Oddly enough ... I agree with CO on this one. I'll have my head examined by the end of the week.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
July 8th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Lol...sorry I edited my post Goose.

LA_MERC_DocSparky
July 8th, 2008, 10:43 AM
When I read the article, the first thing that came to mind was how this does provide some basis for the original intelligence that was introduced pre-war. Obviously this isn't the whole "ball of wax", but it seems pretty important to me.

Will this change anyones opinion about George Bush? Absolutely not. At this point, everyone's mind is made up. In fact, I'm so desensitized to politics that I really don't give a rats arse.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
July 8th, 2008, 11:08 AM
More on this:

While yellowcake alone is not considered potent enough for a so-called "dirty bomb" — a conventional explosive that disperses radioactive material — it could stir widespread panic if incorporated in a blast. Yellowcake also can be enriched for use in reactors and, at higher levels, nuclear weapons using sophisticated equipment.

The Iraqi government sold the yellowcake to a Canadian uranium producer, Cameco Corp., in a transaction the official described as worth "tens of millions of dollars." A Cameco spokesman, Lyle Krahn, declined to discuss the price, but said the yellowcake will be processed at facilities in Ontario for use in energy-producing reactors.

"We are pleased ... that we have taken (the yellowcake) from a volatile region into a stable area to produce clean electricity," he said.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1320010
http://boards.msn.com/MSNBCboards/thread.aspx?threadid=716080&boardsparam=PostID%3D19987028
http://info.detnews.com/redesign/forums/feedback/lettersindex.cfm?forum=newstalk&topic=Yellow%20Cake

LA_MERC_LaTech
July 8th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Using forum posts by people no better off or informed than we are isn't real information...it's just as much hearsay as if you or I had posted our thoughts on a matter.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
July 8th, 2008, 11:55 AM
The quoted was an excerpt from the AP article on the matter. One of the guys in that forum had found it and reposted so people could read it. It was written By Brian Murphy. That is really all that has been reported.

AP Exclusive: US Removes Uranium From Iraq
AP Exclusive: Uranium stockpile removed from Iraq in secret US mission by land, sea and air
By BRIAN MURPHY Associated Press Writer
July 5, 2008 (AP) The Associated Press

In a Monday June 9, 2003 file photo, UN inspectors from the International Atomic Energy Agency...
In a Monday June 9, 2003 file photo, UN inspectors from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) work at the nuclear facility in Tuwaitha, Iraq, 50 kms east of Baghdad. The last major remnant of Saddam Hussein's nuclear program _ a huge stockpile of concentrated natural uranium _ reached a Canadian port Saturday, July 5, 2008, to complete a secret U.S. operation that included a two-week airlift from Baghdad and a ship voyage crossing two oceans. (AP Photo/Saurabh Das, file)
(AP)The last major remnant of Saddam Hussein's nuclear program — a huge stockpile of concentrated natural uranium — reached a Canadian port Saturday to complete a secret U.S. operation that included a two-week airlift from Baghdad and a ship voyage crossing two oceans.

The removal of 550 metric tons of "yellowcake" — the seed material for higher-grade nuclear enrichment — was a significant step toward closing the books on Saddam's nuclear legacy. It also brought relief to U.S. and Iraqi authorities who had worried the cache would reach insurgents or smugglers crossing to Iran to aid its nuclear ambitions.

What's now left is the final and complicated push to clean up the remaining radioactive debris at the former Tuwaitha nuclear complex about 12 miles south of Baghdad — using teams that include Iraqi experts recently trained in the Chernobyl fallout zone in Ukraine.

"Everyone is very happy to have this safely out of Iraq," said a senior U.S. official who outlined the nearly three-month operation to The Associated Press. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the subject.

While yellowcake alone is not considered potent enough for a so-called "dirty bomb" — a conventional explosive that disperses radioactive material — it could stir widespread panic if incorporated in a blast. Yellowcake also can be enriched for use in reactors and, at higher levels, nuclear weapons using sophisticated equipment.

The Iraqi government sold the yellowcake to a Canadian uranium producer, Cameco Corp., in a transaction the official described as worth "tens of millions of dollars." A Cameco spokesman, Lyle Krahn, declined to discuss the price, but said the yellowcake will be processed at facilities in Ontario for use in energy-producing reactors.

"We are pleased ... that we have taken (the yellowcake) from a volatile region into a stable area to produce clean electricity," he said.

LA_MERC_Wetzny
July 8th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Who knows what the final story will be, it will be years until it's totally out. It just goes to show how the Media in their drive and zeal to push an agenda will obscure many, many facts. I seem to remember many administration honchos who kept pounding out the same message; it's there and we've got it.

I posted this because of the recent direction many things have taken. And they all seem contrary to what the conventional "wisdom" was 6, 12 or even 18 months ago. Think Haditha, Basra, Fallugah (sic) car bombs left and right, War for Oil, Bush lied People died, the War is Lost (Harry Reid, Obamba, Pelosi, Clinton, etc.) It goes on and on. What does the future hold? Who knows but things seem to be getting much better over there for Iraqi's and Afghan's, and it's only because our bravest, brightest and toughest continue to fight the good fight. God Bless them!!!!

LA_MERC_Wetzny
July 13th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Even the Canadians are reporting it.... Still nothing from the NYT! ha! lol

http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/3927

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==