PDA

View Full Version : What do you hillbillies and rednecks think of this?

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
June 14th, 2008, 11:29 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/news/story?id=3336490

I'll reserve my take on this to see what you guys think. I find it interesting to say the least.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
June 15th, 2008, 12:56 AM
She became a "Naturalized" russian citizen late last year? She was still playing for a Woman's team in America last year so how just how strict are Russia's citizenship laws?

I'm not sure I agree with going off of the particular countries laws for being a citizen. Maybe the Olympics should have their own rules that say an athlete should have to live in the country for X amount of years, after obtaining citizenship) in order to represent that country in the Olympics.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
June 15th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Well, I don't really care what happens with the Olympics. I think is over commercialized anyway, and more or less a political forum of who's better than who... instead of bringing together the worlds top athletes to compete in games.

This persons actions prove this point.

1. An American citizen becomes a citizen of another country so they can play against their own countrymen,
this in itself does not make sense to me if the world Olympics are truly the best of what each nation has to offer in a specific game.

2. Her motives no matter how you dress them up are self serving.

3. The opposing country is no better than the other by wining a medal if the players who earned you that medal are not from your country (Whats the point)?

Finally: I'm sorry if our country could not or would not use her in their Olympic team(s), but life isn't always fair.
The best Man/Woman does not always win. She needs to deal with what cards the Olympic committee has dealt her and get on with rest of her career.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
June 15th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Finally: I'm sorry if our country could not or would not use her in their Olympic team(s), but life isn't always fair.
The best Man/Woman does not always win. She needs to deal with what cards the Olympic committee has dealt her and get on with rest of her career.

I think that any American Committee, Olympic or House Ways and Means, are more political than anything. It is all moot for the fact that we hope our Olympic team is based on skill and not who loves who, or who the coach knows. A panel of non-biased people should elect the team. The coach should coach it. She is a stand out in the WNBA, but not good enough to make the hopeful selection list. I call bullsh!t. Her stats alone speak for themselves if you look at them comparatively to other point guards. She is also described as a Hustler.....a scrappy point guard. Sounds like someone that wants to win, and has done so.

2007: Overall
Top 3 Free throw %
Top 5 Points
Top 30 Steals

2008: Overall
2nd in the league Free Throw %
Top 25 Points
Top 15 Steals

http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/statistics

I guess I do not see why the council didn't even give her a chance UNTIL she said she will play for a Russian Club. I smell a stinky fish somewhere.
American Politics run rampant no matter where we look. Her parents are prolly not RICH enough, or didn't play ball themselves. S.Dakota isn't cool enough for the Olympic Team. She dresses funny compared to the others.

Who knows. All I say is good for her. I wish her the best and I will root for Russia as my second team in Womens' Basketball.

The 31-year-old Hammon, who averaged 18.8 points and 5.0 assists for the San Antonio Silver Stars last season, said she has long been overlooked by USA Basketball for a spot on its Senior National Team. Last summer, when USA Basketball released its list of the pool players from which the U.S. Olympic team would be chosen, Hammon's name was absent. She later signed a lucrative contract with club team CSKA Moscow that included the possibility of playing for the Russian Olympic team.

LA_MERC_Dirge
June 15th, 2008, 04:54 PM
she loves it so much, move there, imo. Sounds like a lie just to play in the olympics to me. be honest first.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
June 15th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I guess I missed the "lie" part. This was an article written by ESPN.

LA_MERC_Dirge
June 16th, 2008, 06:19 AM
If you think ESPN is neutral, ouch. :p

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
June 16th, 2008, 08:01 AM
I'm with r00k. I don't see anything wrong with it. I think the US team bypassed her for some unknown reason and she was offered a chance to play for another country under the current rules.

I also agree with Toby. There should be some set standards as to what qualifies as a citizen. I don't care of she lives there or not but there should be some rules about being a citizen for a set number of years so smaller countries don't start farming atheletes from bigger countries.

She found a loop hole and took it. Good for her.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
June 16th, 2008, 09:36 AM
so smaller countries don't start farming atheletes from bigger countries.

Well, thats basically what I'm getting at, whats the point in the Olympics if the winning team consist of what players you can farm out from other countries.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
June 16th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Like I said, I wish her luck. I think it is a compliment to have other countries, even one that used to be our arch nemesis, vying for our athletes.

FYI:
All-time Olympic Basketball Medal Count
Place Country Gold Silver Bronze Total
1 United States 17 3 3 23
2 Soviet Union 4 4 4 12
3 Yugoslavia 1 5 2 8
4 Brazil 0 1 4 5
5 Lithuania 0 0 3 3
6 France 0 2 0 2
7 China 0 1 1 2
7-tie Bulgaria 0 1 1 2
7-tie Australia 0 1 1 2
10 Uruguay 0 0 2 2
11 Unified Team 1 0 0 1
12-t Canada 0 1 0 1
12-t Croatia 0 1 0 1
12-t Italy 0 1 0 1
12-t South Korea 0 1 0 1
12-t Spain 0 1 0 1
17-t Cuba 0 0 1 1
17-t Mexico 0 0 1 1

LA_MERC_DocSparky
June 16th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I'm a little surpised by the Russians in this regard:

It comes down to a simple question: What does winning a gold medal mean if it's an American who wins it for you?
Before I read the article, I was pretty irritated that an American would "stoop so low". After looking at her motivation, then I'd say she should go for it if it's that important to her. Being the redneck that I am, there's no way I could do it. I'd be shunned from all future redneck family events... wait... that's a good thing. :stick

LA_MERC_Dirge
June 16th, 2008, 12:19 PM
lol I imagined that I would do a quick check into the olympics and find some statements about national pride, etc. lol @ that. All that is there is retarded goop about finding ways for world peace, etc...

I guess if the olympics do not state as a goal representation of your nation, etc, then by all means let her transfer. I'm a little dissapointed in the goals of the olympic games to be honest. And also, this is a baaaad precedent. Who would have thought free agency would hit the olympics? lol

Although, on a side note, didn't Monica Seles do this when Yugoslavia disintegrated?

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
June 16th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I have always seen the Olympic games as a competition between countries, best of the best.

My opinion on these "free agents" is that it should not be allowed, plain and simple. You should have to physically live in a country for X amount of years before becoming eligible to represent that country in the Olympics. The problem is that it is a money making media event and those in control over the Olympics probaby don't give a rats ass as long as they are making money.

LA_MERC_Dirge
June 16th, 2008, 03:20 PM
rgr that who cares if countries can pick up scrubs from other countries? Who wants to root for Borat's cousin that wasn't good enough to make his own country's table tennis team?

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==