PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new Laptop....

LA_MERC_Drax
June 8th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I have a dell laptop I game on, i bought in 05 and i can play BF2 on it with no problems. I do recommend you don't get larger than a 15 inch screen, as they weigh a ton and are a b!tch to carry around. I take my laptop offshore with me, so it gets a fairly rough treatment and it still working, so i don't have many complaints about it. I have priced a new gaming laptop out through dell, I had a setup for about 1700 that was pretty tight.

As far as the periperal, dunno man....

LA_MERC_Wetzny
June 8th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I've been AWOL for the last week or so and will be hit and miss for the coming two. I'm in Oklahoma working on a new project, more to come on that later.

I want a new laptop... would one of the Guru's around here give me a good recommendation?

If I could get one that would play BF2, that would be great. It needs to be rugged as some projects are going to have me out in the field a bit.

Also where are we in the XP vs Vista conversation? Which do I want or need? I have XP here on my Desktop and have not used Vista yet, is now the time to start?

I need one other recommendation, that is for a peripheral fax, scanner, copier (3 in 1) that's easy to transport and will copy MORE than one sheet at a time...

Thanks in advance!!!!

Daedelus
June 10th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Just got my wife a dell vostro 1700. i think it more a business type laptop as they dont have it listed under home type laptops. it 17" and yeah pretty heavy. also had a harder time finding carrying case. she didnt whant the back pack type,but the guci purse looking ones where like 200-300 bucks lol. she has been happy with it it has a hole functional 10 key pad on the right side so the key board is exact lay out as a desk top type key board. cant remeber how much we paid i think it was around 2400-2600 but iam sure some of that was marked up threw who i bought it from.( i got it threw a work purchasing program, no credit check and monthly payments directly out of my check for 12 months. they say there no intrest but iam sure the mark up the price a bit to make money.)
they had this hot looking one where the top screen of the laptop and the key board seperate and is a wireless key board. looks nice
http://www.dell.com/content/products/results.aspx/notebooks?~ck=anav&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&a=14~0~61570&navla=14~0~61570

or maybe just go to new egg and click threw all ther stuff. i love new egg...

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
June 10th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I recommend an Acer Travelmate. For durability they are good. I am not familiar with all of their higher end stuff. Spill resistant keyboard that can take a little spill. Shock resistant HDD. 15.4" screen.

Panasonic Toughbooks are the sh1t. There is NONE tougher or more durable. Cost is high though.

Lenovo/IBM Thinkpads are good, but I do not like their security set up. It is annoying and some people have a problem with the finger scanner.

Dells are solid for the most part. I wouldn't go with a real juiced up Dell. I do not think they build the comp good enough around the major components. I see a lot of bad ac adapters, batteries, and charging systems from Dell.

Sony I think are to high priced for what you get.

I would look at getting an embedded cellular card in whatever you get. It is a nice function to have if needed. If someone can call you, you can be on the net. It is real handy when the only guy near you is farmer joe or billy bob oil rigger and they think saning fish when you mention the net.

MY .02

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
June 10th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Gateway FX

http://www.gateway.com/systems/series/529598006.php

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
June 10th, 2008, 11:43 PM
I do like T4rg3T.

LA_MERC_Wetzny
June 13th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestions... this is what I bought.... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220308

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
June 13th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Looks like a good buy. Weak (slow) link is the HDD speed. Upgrade when you can, and they are a cinch to install. Actually you could ghost to the new HDD using your desktop and a S.ATA port. I think we have ghost and acronis on the FTP. Ghost -> install -> Boot -> You are done.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
June 14th, 2008, 07:22 AM
5400 isn't THAT bad for a laptop - most mainstream notebooks still have a 4200RPM HDD.

One thing I read in the comments on newegg is that there was a ton of crap-ware loading at start up, so get that cleaned out, and follow the vista tweak guide at http://www.tweakhound.com/vista/tweakguide/index.htm and you should be good to go!

LA_MERC_Wetzny
June 14th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Now if someone was around to help me get this thing tweaked, I'd prolly send you a case of beer or something..... !!! If you see me around drop me a note... Thanks!

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==