PDA

View Full Version : Dumb dumb dumb computer.

cd
November 28th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Here's my story.... about two months ago, I was getting the blue screen of death(I dont know specifically which, I don't have the errors written down.)

I unplug my computer and goto a backup for a while, and the other day decide to try the other one again, took my video card out of the backup and put it back in the original, and so far no blue screen.

EXCEPT, it's generally just running sluggish. I'll be online and then all of a sudden my internet will stop working. I'll just be browsing sites and then nothing will load. I restart and I'm good to go for a while, until it happens again. Any suggestions?

cd
November 28th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Also, whenever I try to install my Windows updates, they keep failing.

All Failed:

Security Update for Windows XP (KB890859)
Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)
Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 6.0 and Microsoft XML Core Services 6.0 Service Pack 1 (KB933579)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB931784)

cd
November 28th, 2007, 10:53 AM
And the quick solution would be to just reformat, but I lost all of my discs in the house fire.

LA_MERC_Onji
November 28th, 2007, 11:06 AM
they fail with what error message?

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
November 28th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Did you have Norton or McAfee as a "trial" and uninstalled it?

THey can hose your .dll's that you need, and you may just have to register the .dll files.

Register DLL files
===================
By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.
2. Click Start and Run, type "REGSVR32 ATL.DLL" (without quotes) in the open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between REGSVR32 and ATL.DLL

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

REGSVR32 MSXML3.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL
REGSVR32 QMGR.DLL
REGSVR32 QMGRPRXY.DLL
REGSVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL

Note: Please try and register all the files. While registering each .DLL file you should get a "succeeded" message.

cd
November 28th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Okay, did the reformat, thanks Tech and Rook.

In the process of reinstalling and everything, and I gotta say, It is soooo nice to be running on a system that's not giving me errors constantly. Also upgraded my ram while I was at it.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
November 29th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Sweet. Glad it all worked out.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==