PDA

View Full Version : Deer Hunting 101

LA_MERC_Wetzny
September 3rd, 2007, 10:22 PM
bow season just opened here sat.- I wont be around that much for the next 2- 3 weeks, not that I play that much anyway, just letting yall know where im at right now.

Opps- And a shamless plug for my new toy we picked up on the way back from Glacier National Park. My beloved Scout II is in need of repair, it has never left me stranded but I fear my luck maybe running out. Now I can take my time and really restore it the way I want to. NEVER EVER thought I would own a Ford till I drove this truck- F-350/crew cab/turbo diesel/lariat/ 08 Brand new- LOVE IT!!!!!!

Wish me luck in the woods fellas-

Very Nice Slingy!!.... All right on bow season!! I went out tonight and did a little scouting, our season opens 10-1. Saw a few antler-less, and shot a few dove. I have to say, it was nice to get back in the field!! How's the Hoyt shooting? Get a little sticker for the back window.. I have a little Hoyt sticker and of course my DU emblem.

BTW... I'm going to start making a trip plan to hunt your neck of the woods in the fall of '08.. care if I come and tag along with you? Can I bring my hunting partner? Keep me posted on how it goes!! I've got a feeling it's going to be a GREAT season!!!

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
September 3rd, 2007, 11:30 PM
Very Nice Slingy!!.... All right on bow season!! I went out tonight and did a little scouting, our season opens 10-1. Saw a few antler-less, and shot a few dove. I have to say, it was nice to get back in the field!! How's the Hoyt shooting? Get a little sticker for the back window.. I have a little Hoyt sticker and of course my DU emblem.

BTW... I'm going to start making a trip plan to hunt your neck of the woods in the fall of '08.. care if I come and tag along with you? Can I bring my hunting partner? Keep me posted on how it goes!! I've got a feeling it's going to be a GREAT season!!!

Could not be happier with the Vectrix Wetz...Really thank you for the advise- Got 1 tag filled tonight right before sundown, nice size doe- double lung pass thru, she went maybe 40 yards. Would love to have you along for the next season, lets start planning when you get some dates lined up. Dove?? maybe if I keep practicing I can hit birds...not even gonna try that yet.

LA_MERC_goose
September 4th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Both you boys are gonna get had this year! Got a stand with a trail at 25 yards and the corn pile is 15 yards. Seen a grown dow and two fawns the other night. Got tags, but can't shoot em for 10 more days.

LA_MERC_Wetzny
September 4th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Gratz Sling on the seasons First "Catch"! It's always nice to have that first one under your belt and taking antlerless deer is important. Post a picture if you've got one of your bow, maybe with your doe to!

Good luck Goose! sounds like you've got'em patterned!! *cough Corn-piled *cough.

LA_MERC_Sniper
September 4th, 2007, 08:50 AM
wooot yeah hunting season is back im going bow hunting tonight. hope to bag this big ole boy ive been seeing 10 point with about a 18-20 in. spread If I dont take it with the bow tonight lol im taking the rifle tomorrow gun season opened where i hunt Sat. wooohooo. If I am lucky enough I will post some pics

LA_MERC_Wetzny
September 4th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Holy Shoit... When do you boys give these deer a time to rest? Hell bow season here doesn't start until 10-1. Now we will have an early season Muzzleloader season that begins September 15 or so and runs for a week, but our Rifle season doesn't open till 12-3!! and even then it's only 10 days! (Praise the Lord!!)

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
September 4th, 2007, 11:35 AM
I will put some pics up of my bow rigged up tonight and me in my new Sitka camo, absolutly awesome gear, spendy but gawd its comfy and breaths so well. I have a crappy camera phone pic thats so dark you cant see anything anyway. Took the first dry doe that I could put the stalk on, needed to get the first bow kill jitters out of my system before I blow it on my elk or buck, and yes I was shaking like I had parkinsons with excitement, its all gravy now.

LA_MERC_Wetzny
September 4th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Sling, do you think your Michael J Fox-shaking-like-leaf moments are over now? You think you were freaking out on the doe, wait till that bruiser comes rolling down the trail and the looks of his head gear launch's your heart-rate at unheard of levels. You try to draw the bow back without spooking him, or the other 6 deer looking up at you from below your tree. When you do get it back, the monster stops to see what the hell everyone is looking at and your left holding your shot for what seems like forever, trying not shake like Janet Reno..... Good times!

LA_MERC_Sniper
September 4th, 2007, 12:08 PM
yeah wetz we have one of the longest deer seasons in the country where i hunt bow starts Aug. 15 and rifle starts Sept 1 and ends Jan 1. The best timne to hunt is Oct though (the rut)

LA_MERC_Wetzny
September 4th, 2007, 01:04 PM
yeah wetz we have one of the longest deer seasons in the country where i hunt bow starts Aug. 15 and rifle starts Sept 1 and ends Jan 1. The best timne to hunt is Oct though (the rut)

Thats a crazy deer season man, crazy! Usually our rut peaks the second week of November, I'll sit in a tree from dawn till dusk (or as much as possible) beginning the week of November 5th.

I've shot 3 deer that go over 150 inches, and each one of them were shot around November 7th, 8th or 9th.

It's been four years since I've shot a buck. I see plenty of shooters, but the last few years they've come in real late near dark, took the wrong trail, or the cover was too thick and I couldn't get a clean shot. Just one little thing seems to keep me from killing another real nice deer. Over that span of time I've taken about 13 antlerless deer, I take about 3 a year. Usually I try to get one or two right off the bat in October, then hunt bucks from the end of October until rifle season starts. Then after the "Orange Army" (rifle hunters) gets done shooting the hell outta everything, it's back to doe killing.

LA_MERC_goose
September 4th, 2007, 01:55 PM
"Orange Army" (rifle hunters)

Oddly enough, after living in Denver for two years I know what you're talking about. Also oddly enough, you won't find many of the 'we wear orange hunting' group in these parts. These guys are born and bread hunters - we see what we want to shoot BEFORE we shoot at it. No need for bright colors - it scares off the turkeys. lol

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
September 4th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Ok wetz..heres mah baby. I think the only thing I will change is going to a drop-away, other than that im happy with the setup. Shooting very nice groups out to 60 yards.

LA_MERC_goose
September 4th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Man, all the mansy-pansies shooting releases .... GAWD!

LA_MERC_Wetzny
September 4th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Very Nice my friend... Very nice!! I like the veins you chose, I shoot those colors with white as my choice for the Knock side.... (Easier to see what kind of blood there is!)

BTW Goose why wouldn't you shoot a compound with a release? My Vipertec is set to 73 pounds, I don't have a choice! It's a Hurricane release or nothing for me!

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
September 4th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Man, all the mansy-pansies shooting releases .... GAWD!

Ok gooser- Show me what you workin with big boy! Im an archery nub so I need all the help I can get. What you shooting, recurve,longbow,or just fingers wit a compound?

LA_MERC_Wetzny
September 4th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Ok gooser- Show me what you workin with big boy! Im an archery nub so I need all the help I can get. What you shooting, recurve,longbow,or just fingers wit a compound?

You've got to take into consideration the size of the animal! This ain't no South Carolina Whitetail over a corn pile! Our boy Slingster is shooting BIG Whitetail in Montana! He's looking at deer that might weigh 200 on the RACK! That means it's close to 275 or 300 alive my friend! :stick

LA_MERC_goose
September 5th, 2007, 05:37 AM
And why should that matter when we're talking fingers or release?

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
September 5th, 2007, 07:12 AM
If yer gonna knock my sh!t at least you could list your setup :stick

LA_MERC_Wetzny
September 5th, 2007, 08:52 AM
And why should that matter when we're talking fingers or release?

It's personal preference of course. I feel more confident shooting with a release, I can get the bow back to the wall, easier. I'm not worried about holding for a clean and clear shot for a quick kill. I've shot fingers before, and I don't really feel it. Obviously you must prefer fingers. What kind of rig do you have Goose?

LA_MERC_goose
September 5th, 2007, 09:45 AM
I shooting my dad's old Golden Eagle Predator - he upgraded to the Golden Eagle with the natural riser and I took over his Predator. It's not fancy by no means but I've done well in 3-D tournies with it. I'm not Olympic material by no means.

This will actually be the first year I hunt with my bow. I've been too nervous prior to this year but I figured I really have nothing to lose - besides, my brother-in-law in kicking my ass so far and I can't have that.

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
September 5th, 2007, 09:55 AM
- Nice looking rig, searched on-line, I assume yours is similar. Let the Bro in law ass whooping begin!!!!

LA_MERC_Wetzny
September 5th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Staring down this Nocturnal Monster stalking my ground, without a release there's no WAY I could get the string back and kill this Monster!!!

LA_MERC_Sniper
September 5th, 2007, 02:49 PM
wow wetz is that on your property?

LA_MERC_LaTech
September 5th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Goose sent me a picture of his bow the other day...

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
September 5th, 2007, 04:38 PM
lol...

LA_MERC_goose
September 5th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Darn LT and his image hax! This was the original and you know it! :P

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
September 5th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Very nice goose...What speeds can you get outta that?

LA_MERC_goose
September 5th, 2007, 08:13 PM
My dad tells me I'm around 200 but I'm not really sure.

LA_MERC_LaTech
September 5th, 2007, 08:37 PM
hehehe...sorry goose, couldn't resist. You'll get me back, you know you will

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==