PDA

View Full Version : Fruit of my labor!

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 30th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Ok, moved to Alabama 3.5 years ago. Took a job with a helical lobe rotary screw compressor company. It has taken that long and numerous design iterations but finally after said amount of time I have succesfully designed, built, and tested my own helical lobe rotary screw air compressor. Here she is in all her glory, WOOHOO!

LA_MERC_Spark
August 30th, 2007, 01:05 PM
grats! now... BACK TO WORK!

LA_MERC_LaTech
August 30th, 2007, 01:17 PM
It's all shiny and stuff!

LA_MERC_Wetzny
August 30th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Why does it LOOK broken??? lol :stick

LA_MERC_Sabre
August 30th, 2007, 01:55 PM
that's great....but who are the chefs?

LA_MERC_johncst
August 30th, 2007, 02:18 PM
what is it

SweetGirL
August 30th, 2007, 04:51 PM
rotary screw air compressor? something the wifey can use on those long weekends with ya? lmao

Rollout
August 30th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Test stand #2 is looking as sweet as ever:) Nice though, direct drive 127mm, bout time!!!!!! :) No really looks good! But I didn't know YOU actually built and tested it. ????? Did they fire everyone in Basic Assembly and test?????

Chi_Townz
August 30th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Looks like a giant pancake maker....:stick

As much as Id like to believe Sweets, what is a helical lobe rotary screw air compressor??

Ab1dab1
August 30th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Yeah Andy.....what do ya use the thing for? Filling dive tanks?

Abi

LA_MERC_YellowDog
August 30th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Its an Air compressor for High demand applications like you might see in an industrial complex, where they use a lot of pneumatic tools or pneumatic processes. A conventional Air compressor is just not economical in those applications.

For example, I'm sure the Honda Plant here in SC has a use for this equipment, they have a lot of Jigs, and tooling that is Air driven, its not real smart to have these tools powered by Hydraulic means, thats messy and in a plant where your making a clean product for the consumer, Well air power is much cleaner.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
August 30th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Its an Air compressor for High demand applications like you might see in an industrial complex, where they use a lot of pneumatic tools or pneumatic processes. A conventional Air compressor is just not economical in those applications.

For example, I'm sure the Honda Plant here in SC has a use for this equipment, they have a lot of Jigs, and tooling that is Air driven, its not real smart to have these tools powered by Hydraulic means, thats messy and in a plant where your making a clean product for the consumer, Well air power is much cleaner.

Very good Parker. Someone get that man a treat.

Plus, Rollout. I'll have you know that it is not a C face 127mm but my brand new alpha profile Dr. Yan special 120mm. All new All my design, and yes I did actually stand back there with Reggie in basic and help him assemble the unit. I'm an engineer but I do turn wrenches. Plus, I had to be there to tell him all the temps to run the induction heater for the bearing races and all the torque values. Also to guide the shimming of the taper roller bearings and bearing retainers. And for something else that will blow your skirt up I stood out there with Wendel and helped him run the unit in basic. had to tell him the oil flow, pressures, and discharge temps we wanted for the new unit. Now I know this comes as a shock to you since probably your entire tenure with Quincy they didn't produce anything new, but now they have. Amazing huh. Monkey Ass, they miss you. Your replacement (the engineers engineer) isn't worth your little left toe. Thanks for leaving me high and dry chump. I had to design and manufacture my own test fixture for basic becuase your replacement doesn't know an ANSI flange from a frisbee.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
August 31st, 2007, 07:08 AM
Actually most of the important torques that are done to products are usually electric guns. At Chrysler we only used air guns for the none important stuff and/or stuff that isn't checked by Federal Safety Inspectors. Electric is much faster and more accurate than air guns any day. But we still had over 100 air guns in my plant along with 100's of air lifts for parts.

Pretty cool stuff Andy I've never seen the compressor before. Just figured the air magically went into my gun.

Rollout
August 31st, 2007, 12:30 PM
YEAH, NO **** ANDY, 10 YEARS and NEVER a new product :(

Nice!!!!, my bad on the 127mm call, this is an Andyconda original!! GOOD JOB MATE!!! :) I KNOW HOW YOU LOVE THAT AUSSY **** FROM ME :) !!!! :)

Tell the boys Hi!, MISS THEM, JUST NOT LONGBELLY :)

LA_MERC_Wetzny
August 31st, 2007, 12:43 PM
I'll take two please....

Lockout
August 31st, 2007, 12:47 PM
Well when you want to design something that really "Blows" Conda is your go to guy....I just want to know what he is going to do in trying to look busy for the next three years....??? I have literally seen him sit and spin the same model for that little gem day in and day out since meeting the man. That is when he isnt on the merc forum or looking up truck parts on the internet....

Longbelly loves you christopher....so does sharon and John....And I gave Morris and William your home and cell phone numbers.....LOL

Conda....If I havent said it yet let me do it now...nice job on that airend you designed and built....And Yellow dog....you are the man...

Big_ch33se
August 31st, 2007, 06:59 PM
Damn Andy, Im impressed. I didnt know that you could hold all that info up there after so many bouts with Ass juice and spark.

LA_MERC_Diesel
September 1st, 2007, 09:41 AM
gj Conda, looks great, do we get to try that out at the LAN?

Ab1dab1
September 1st, 2007, 08:09 PM
Oh lord Diesel....

Don't give them any ideas or the hotel will want a bigger deposit from us to cover the damage -g-

Abi

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
September 2nd, 2007, 04:21 PM
LOL @ ab1dab1. Looks neat conda!

LA_MERC_Dirge
September 4th, 2007, 04:42 PM
To hell with that, it's an engine for launching potatoes! Bring it to the LAN!!!

Lockout
September 4th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Dude you can launch potatoes with these things???? SWEEEEET!

150 psi direct drive tater guns equipped with powersync modules.....and a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time !

Ab1dab1
September 8th, 2007, 04:22 PM
::: pictures the story in the Times Picayune :::

Squad of street vigilantes caught last night driving jacked up pickup truck with multiple mounted air powered potato launchers. Vigilantes started a brawl after driving through the French Quarter area. Eye witnesses say that the vigilantes did not take kindly to street urchins asking them the age old question of "I bet ya $20 I know where yas got ya shoes". One eye witness said, "My god....I didn't think a potato could penetrate the human body like a .50 caliber round".

Abi

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==