PDA

View Full Version : More on Iraq...

LA_MERC_Wetzny
July 31st, 2007, 10:50 AM
Whether or not you noticed by reading about it in the New York Times, hearing it on National Public Radio, or watching it on ABC News, the war against al Qaeda continues in Iraq.

Over the last few months I started posting links to articles from Michael Yon, a former Green Beret and current independent journalist, imbedded with forces fighting (successfully) face to face with AQI. Over the course of last 6 weeks or so, Yon has described in detail how the US surge under the leadership of General Petreaus, has created a fundamental change in the dynamics of the war. Now those reports are starting to hit the mainstream media. Recently an article was published in the New York Times, (by two of the harshest critics of Iraq policy) which essentially says we CAN WIN. It’s winnable and it’s happening.

As I mentioned in a previous thread on this topic, there is a dynamic I learned from my days at Morgan Stanley. Essentially it’s a simple theory where you evaluate the landscape of your situation, circumstance or investment; calculate what the “herd” is doing, saying, thinking or buying, and then you do the opposite.

There is a specific investment strategy that uses this theory very successfully. It’s called the Dow 10 theory. Simply you buy equal dollar amounts in the 10 highest dividend yielding stocks in the Dow and hold them for one year. At the end of one year you re-calculate and replace any of the 10 with what are now the 10 highest yielding stocks. It's a simple math equation/theory that FORCES you to do the OPPOSITE and buy beaten down and unpopular companies.

During the tech bubble of the late 90s, the high dividend stocks of the Dogs of the Dow were up 28.6% in 1996, up 22.2% in 1997, up 10.7% in 1998, and up 4.0% in 1999.
- During the difficult bear market years of 2000 - 2002, the Dogs of the Dow were up 6.4% in 2000, down 4.9% in 2001, and down 8.9% in 2002, and that was enough to significantly outperform the Dow, S&P 500, and Nasdaq.
- In 2003, the high dividend stocks of the Dogs of the Dow gained 28.7% and made new, all-time highs despite the massive bear market of 2000-2002!
- In 2004, the high dividend yield Dogs of the Dow remained in record territory with a 4.4% gain and then gave back 5.1% in 2005.
- In 2006, the Dogs of the Dow surged to new record highs with a gain of 30.3%. The Small Dogs of the Dow did even better with a gain of 42%!

I used the same theory of “herd” mentality when I moved most of my assets from equities in early 2000 and started Spartan Exploration. I invested most of my net worth into beaten down and unpopular oil and gas production. Mocked by most of my former colleagues and rejected by every potential partner, I got lucky. Now with the “experts” all predicting $100-$150 barrel oil, I’m going to take my chips off the table and find another opportunity. Maybe oil will go to $150, I don’t know. But when EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE says it will, my instincts say go the other way and right or wrong that’s where I’m going.

WTF does this have to do with Iraq? Well I started to get the same “herd” mentality impression from what I was hearing, reading, and watching about Iraq. Talking head after talking head, Congressmen, Senators (however out of touch or illiterate they are) spouting on and on about “the war is lost! Runaway!!” Hell even some of my closest friends, who were die hard supporters started to go wobbly and suggest it might be time to pull the plug.

Interestingly it was a comment from my wife ("Lets's just get the Feck out") that caused me to stop and consider that the worst may actually be behind us in Iraq. So my friends (those who have the patience to stay with me here in this rant) I’ll say again, I support the mission in Iraq; I think we are making a difference. We’ve made mistakes and we will make more, but we have the capacity to learn and adjust. We are doing it better and faster than our enemy. We are winning, now hopefully we can do it before those with political agendas which will not support a military victory in Iraq, force us to surrender and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!

Here are a few interesting links and maybe one to the New York Times article.

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=YWQ5NDkwMDNiMzZhODNlNjdhN2JiM2EyMjQ1N2ZmMWQ=

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/30/opinion/30pollack.html?_r=3&oref=slogin&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/wp/bread-and-a-circus-part-i-of-ii.htm

David

LA_MERC_LaTech
July 31st, 2007, 11:04 AM
Interesting argument...comparing the fickleness of the stock market to public opinion...will have to give this some thought.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
July 31st, 2007, 12:11 PM
The stock market is ran on the fickleness of public opinion. Oh noes, Coca-cola likes Micheal Vick, they are the debil = Coke stock going south. It has really nothing to do with the actual products or companies. It has to do with falsified growth and expectancy reports, messed up fraudulent P & L's. You know pretty much mafia stuff....:stick

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
July 31st, 2007, 12:15 PM
The stock market is ran on the fickleness of public opinion. Oh noes, Coca-cola likes Micheal Vick, they are the debil = Coke stock going south. It has really nothing to do with the actual products or companies. It has to do with falsified growth and expectancy reports, messed up fraudulent P & L's. You know pretty much mafia stuff....:stick

Don't forget about the late TSP reports

LA_MERC_Wetzny
July 31st, 2007, 12:22 PM
Rook you're to funny... Simply it's the emotion named fear, that drives markets. The fear of losing money drives people out, the fear of NOT making money drives people in.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
July 31st, 2007, 12:47 PM
Nice post Wetz and typicaly it's totally correct. Don't follow the masses. Public opinion definately has a lot to do with the markets.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
July 31st, 2007, 01:48 PM
http://www.dailyhaha.com/_soundboards/officespace1.htm

MMMM.....Yeah....

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
July 31st, 2007, 01:58 PM
http://www.dailyhaha.com/_soundboards/arnold_schwartzenegger05.htm

Daedelus
July 31st, 2007, 04:17 PM
great post. i think there has been many chalenges with what is going on in Iraq. i do think it been a steep learning curve and sure a few mistakes have been made and paid for by US citizens= millitary personel lives and civillian contractors etc. but i think over all they have done a great job and made forward progrress. i did think it would be a hard long road and look it is but i think the future might be brighter soon. so with the money you are moving from your oil intrests. Have you found a replacement for where to put your money? i just donned on me with the coralation of your 2 articles about your investments(your money) and the rebuilding of iraq.
Have you given it a thought to maybe investing in one of those companies? a re-construction company or private security firm Etc. you could dircetly have an im pact on whats going on a bit and i think those companies working in iraq are not all there just to be nice but they see somekind of market to make better money?

LA_MERC_Wetzny
July 31st, 2007, 04:29 PM
Well Daed I don't have a concrete plan at the moment for my next career, you make an interesting observation about Iraq.

I'm not an expert on anything related to the military, construction, or government contracts. Typically I want to have a baseline of knowledge before making an investment. With Spartan it was pretty easy to see the value of those investments, while they still carried risk it still in my area of expertise. Overseas operations, and the types of companies involved in Iraq are multi-billion dollar companies. Light years beyond my capacity.

LA_MERC_Bacowrath
August 3rd, 2007, 08:54 AM
Well it is kinda like this little turd that graduated with me asked me once when I was home on leave. He said, "Dude, I'm joining the peace-corps. Is that anything like the military???" Of course he was being selectively retarded (you will have to read my article on that subject some time) and was being sarcastic. I replied, "Actually, we work hand in hand, each one keeping the other employed." He asked, "Dude, what do you mean, man???" I said, "Well, we go in and destroy a village full of insurgents, you guys watch CNN and believe that we are a bunch of baby-killers so you go in and rebuild the village. The insurgency rebuilds itself under the new air-conditioned huts you built for them, so we go in and destroy it again. You see, we are codependant!" Obviously I was being just as "stupid" with my answer as he was being with his question, but the same principal does apply in this situation. You don't have to know much about the military, contractors, or government projects, just look at history. The US has always pumped mega dollars into rebuildin what we have had to destroy. Obviously, much damage has been done in Iraq by the military, and will continue for a while. Obviously we are going to help rebuild with contractors. Obviously there will be a government contract, so obviously it is a win win situation :) Good investment if you have the funds to do so. They all work hand in hand :)

Disclaimer: Since I am on pain meds at this moment, I may not be making much sense. Any opinions, or views given in this article are not necessarily the opinions or views held by this person...even though he is the one writing it. Any resemblence to actual people, or situations in this article, is purely coincidental, and not intended to portray any actual experience or likeness of any person, living or dead. Deposit refund of $0.05 valid only in Canada. Void where prohibited. (Prohibited in Canada)

LA_MERC_YellowDog
August 3rd, 2007, 09:21 AM
Baco, yuzz wun krazzy dude!!

LOL

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==