PDA

View Full Version : Did you think Oil prices would drop?

LA_MERC_Sabre
July 25th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Read this artical......$100/bbl?????

Mikaila Adams
Editor, The Financial Update

According to a recent Goldman Sachs report on oil prices, it was supply and demand fundamentals driving oil price increases and not geopolitical concerns. The report by Goldman Sachs managing director Arjun Murti reported a possible "super spike" in oil prices to $95 a barrel and beyond.

While Americans shake their fists at oil companies when they hear such predictions, demand does not slide. A not too distant comparison would be the market in 1980-1981, when, according to the report, gasoline spending in the US corresponded to an average 6.2% of personal disposable income.

The newest predictions of $50-$105 per barrel puts the average American spending an average of 5% of his or her personal disposable income on gasoline. While it sounds ominous, it isn't enough to destroy demand. The report said that the price for New York crude would have to jump to an estimated $135 per barrel, an estimated $4 per gallon of gasoline, to force consumers to alter their behavior.

"Perhaps the ultimate answer to high how oil prices need to go before demand destruction occurs is derived from knowing when American consumers will stop buying gas guzzling sport utility vehicles and instead seek fuel efficient alternatives," Murti stated.

Even before the Goldberg report came out, Murti suggested that oil prices might have to reach $80 for demand to slow. "At $80 oil, we might expect some negative reaction on the demand side," he said. "We think we're going to need changes in consumer behavior, and it's going to take higher prices to do that. It's going to take a lot to change consumer behavior."

Until consumer trends change and alternative fuels are more commonplace, the bottom line remains that the world is in danger of a shortfall. In Ruppel's review of OPEC's Monthly Oil Market Report, he noted that "even using their more optimistic numbers than the IEA, in 4Q2007 the world will be short 1 MMb/d of production."

People are increasingly looking to OPEC to make up the shortfall. Would an increase in supply by OPEC lower prices? OPEC ministers are skeptical. "We could do a goodwill gesture, but it doesn't mean anything in terms of reducing the price," the Algerian minister, Chakib Khelil, said. He mentioned the slowing of economic growth as an important factor.

According to the Goldman report, global oil production is down about 1 million bpd from that of a year ago, but the global demand is up by 1 million bpd.

"Our estimates show that keeping OPEC production at current levels and assuming normal weather this coming winter, total petroleum inventories would fall by over 150 million barrels or 6.5% by the end of the year, which would push prices to $95 a barrel without a demand response," estimated the report.

If OPEC were to supply some of the oil sitting idle in reserves, prices could drop by $5 to $10, but probably won't change much. "Such a pullback would likely prove temporary as long as global economic growth remains strong, and the consequent reduction in oil spare capacity would increase the market vulnerability to unexpected oil supply disruptions," according to the report.

One problem is disruption in supplies from some producers as the demand keeps rising. Norwegian North Sea output has been coming in consistently under 2 MMb/d and on a global basis new projects are not coming on as rapidly as expected. Additionally, oil production growth in Russia, the second-largest oil exporter, this year will be the lowest rate since 1999.

"We believe an increase in Saudi Arabian, Kuwaiti and UAE production by the end of the summer is critical to avoid prices spiking above $90 a barrel this autumn," the report stated. The prediction going forward stretches prices all the way to $100+ per barrel.

Christopher D. Ruppel, senior geopolitical analyst at John S. Herold agrees. "The big question is what will OPEC—and in particular the Saudis—do at their next meeting in September to avoid price shocks that could jeopardize their desired "security of demand," he questioned.

Ruppel agreed that this year's oil price increase was due to supply and demand fundamentals as opposed to the geopolitical concerns (Israel in Lebanon, Iran nuclear stand off, etc.) that dominated the summer of 2006.

However, he says that despite this, the geopolitical situation has actually gotten worse since last year. The difference? The market has gotten used to it. "The US has several carrier battle groups in the Persian Gulf and the Iranians are digging tunnels into the mountain behind their main nuclear facility at Natanz–not encouraging signs for a peaceful resolution of the situation," he warned.

He also cites the recent pipeline attacks in Mexico could be a sign of things to come as far as energy terrorism on the North American continent.

Regardless of the views, the report seemed to have an impact on the market. It was part of the reason the most active crude futures for May delivery jumped to $55.40 a barrel, up 2.6%, or $1.41, at the New York Mercantile Exchange. On the year, prices are up 28%.

Energy prices have fluctuated dramatically over the years. Crude fell below $11 a barrel in late 1998. Less than a decade later, prices climbed above a staggering $77 a barrel last year. Predicting oil prices seems more and more to me like predicting a hurricane season – an educated guess at best. However, as demand continues to rise, I'd be willing to bet that high energy prices are, more than likely, here for the long haul.

Oil & Gas Financial Journal January 01, 1900
volume 0, issue 0

LA_MERC_Wetzny
July 25th, 2007, 12:44 PM
I have recently entered into an agreement to sell all my oil production, at current prices my ROI is fantastic and there are new opportunities around that are less volatile.

Basically I decided on this course of action specifically because any investment has a cycle and while it appears that high energy prices are never going to go away that's really not going to be the case. While I'm not predicting the near term end to high oil prices, it's clear there is a ceiling somewhere.

And the old Wallstreet saying keeps replaying in my mind.... "Pigs get fat, but HOGS get slaughtered."

While economic growth is no doubt fueling the steady rise in oil. Also consider the fact there is a huge SHORT position in oil futures. Essentially this means there are large bets made that the future price of oil is going down, this is a leveraged position and highly speculative. Interestingly these bets that oil will fall only help to PUSH UP the price. As Oil prices rise, those who are "short" start to lose money. Since that money is leveraged, they're losing it fast and hard. Well as the price rise's and their "short" starts hurting they have to close that short with a PURCHASE (long position). Thus as more shorts are squeezed and start to lose money, more LONG BUYS are made, creating a DEMAND for the futures and driving the price up. Not until the "shorts" are truly convinced that "The price of Oil will never again hit 20 dollars a barrel" and throw in the towel and go LONG will this pressure abate. Short Squeeze; it's happening before our eyes in the oil markets. So when you see these reports start to come out that proclaim the end of cheap oil take it as a hint that the conventional wisdom (which is rarely right on Wallstreet) is starting to feel like 100-150 barrel oil is here forever, a sure sign (IMHO) that prices will peak and fall.

Now back to regular programing....

LA_MERC_YellowDog
July 25th, 2007, 05:01 PM
I have recently entered into an agreement to sell all my oil production, at current prices my ROI is fantastic and there are new opportunities around that are less volatile.

Basically I decided on this course of action specifically because any investment has a cycle and while it appears that high energy prices are never going to go away that's really not going to be the case. While I'm not predicting the near term end to high oil prices, it's clear there is a ceiling somewhere.

And the old Wallstreet saying keeps replaying in my mind.... "Pigs get fat, but HOGS get slaughtered."

While economic growth is no doubt fueling the steady rise in oil. Also consider the fact there is a huge SHORT position in oil futures. Essentially this means there are large bets made that the future price of oil is going down, this is a leveraged position and highly speculative. Interestingly these bets that oil will fall only help to PUSH UP the price. As Oil prices rise, those who are "short" start to lose money. Since that money is leveraged, they're losing it fast and hard. Well as the price rise's and their "short" starts hurting they have to close that short with a PURCHASE (long position). Thus as more shorts are squeezed and start to lose money, more LONG BUYS are made, creating a DEMAND for the futures and driving the price up. Not until the "shorts" are truly convinced that "The price of Oil will never again hit 20 dollars a barrel" and throw in the towel and go LONG will this pressure abate. Short Squeeze; it's happening before our eyes in the oil markets. So when you see these reports start to come out that proclaim the end of cheap oil take it as a hint that the conventional wisdom (which is rarely right on Wallstreet) is starting to feel like 100-150 barrel oil is here forever, a sure sign (IMHO) that prices will peak and fall.

Now back to regular programing....

Ok the first article I followed OK.. but the second one..

what'd you say??

Ab1dab1
July 27th, 2007, 07:04 PM
We all need to invest in diesel cars. For $1200 any diesel engine (older model cars work even better) can be converted to be a vegetable oil / diesel hybrid. Meaning you start the car on diesel to heat up the engine then switch to 100% vegetable oil. Yeah, I know you've seen the articles about the people stealing used frying oil from restaurants and fast food chains....but come on.....those are the ones who just want free gas. Hell I'm willing to go to SAMs and buy 50 gallon barrell of veggy oil for $1.25 - $1.75 a gallon. That is still more than half the price of regular unleaded gas.

Don't be fooled by the oil industry hype....it is being done and not just by tree-hugging hippies. Gov. Arnold is driving a tricked out veggie powered Hummer.

The automotive industry is right there suckling the teat of the oil industry.....don't you think we could make a giant gas guzzling $40-70k SUV get the same 30-40mpg that a little $9-14k economy car could? Don't be fooled.....they've spent billions to make them get worse gas mileage.

And don't get me started on all the hydrogen fuel nonesense. Yeah....lets migrate to a hybrid fuel that costs more money and energy than the damn fossil fuels do.

Abi

LA_MERC_YellowDog
July 28th, 2007, 07:21 AM
;201585']

And don't get me started on all the hydrogen fuel nonesense. Yeah....lets migrate to a hybrid fuel that costs more money and energy than the damn fossil fuels do.

Abi

Im with you on that...

All you got to do is watch the movie.." Who killed the electric car"

you will see just how corrupt the car manufactures are..

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nsJAlrYjGz8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nsJAlrYjGz8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I recommend everyone see this movie.. granted it may be somewhat 1 sided for the Pro-green movement... I still think the technology's out there.. and will work...

Rollout
July 28th, 2007, 02:11 PM
So are you going to retire Wetz?? Congrats on the sale man, we are ALL envious, Buy Low, Sell High the American dream come true buddy!! Good job!!! :)

LA_MERC_Wetzny
August 16th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Remember this thread?

Check out the price of oil today, and the dramatic shift in conventional wisdom regarding the future direction of the price. HA!

Now I know it's just one day, but consider what the outlook was a few weeks ago compared to today.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,293504,00.html

Don’t look for much relief at the pump however, as a line of potential Gulf storms, and already high refinery operational capacity will continue to pressure the price of gasoline. But if it appears the US housing market “slow-down” and the tightening in sub-prime credit markets are sign, we may have seen the highs for gasoline as a slower growing world economy will restrain consumption.

Now back to regular programming.

LA_MERC_Sabre
August 16th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Hopefully we won't get hit too hard down here by hurricanes. Another calm hurricane season (like last year) may bring gas prices below 2.50 again, we are almost there now..... Let's not hold our breathe too long though :)

LA_MERC_YellowDog
August 16th, 2007, 04:20 PM
its 2.48 at a couple stations here in S.C, but I think I heard somewhere we have some of the lowest gas prices anyway.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==