PDA

View Full Version : Auto Insurance

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
July 5th, 2007, 04:13 PM
I am shopping for auto insurance and was wondering what some of you use. I am currently on Allstate but they are raping me big time when I compare them to the quotes I have been getting from others like Geico, Travelers, State Farm, etc, etc.

Who do you recommend?

LA_MERC_johncst
July 5th, 2007, 04:18 PM
all insurance is bad very bad bad bad rape you they will

auto i use usaa

LA_MERC_Andyconda
July 5th, 2007, 05:16 PM
I use state farm.

LA_MERC_sexy_dragon
July 5th, 2007, 05:37 PM
nationwide for me. cheapest for me i guess because of house with them also. two vehicle full coverage its 135.00 i think dl would know more on that . but have all extras to go with it. allstate is a little hiigher . usa is ok as well.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
July 5th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Henry, Ive been doing the same thing for the last couple of weeks. I found that Farm Burrow was the cheapest on my truck by $100 per 6 months, than state farm, who came in second... Right now Im with Nationwide... but wont be much longer, they are way overpriced. I also checked with Allstate... Not even worth considering. I'm probably going with Farm Burrow on my truck.

Now my camaro I'm insuring with Hagarty Classic auto insurance, they will let me insure it for a Agreed on value of 15,000 dollars.. this is something the big 4 in our area wont even consider.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
July 5th, 2007, 06:28 PM
I switched from Allstate to Geico when I bought the new car and saved about 200 per 6/mo...ymmv

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
July 5th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Most companies give discounts when you have multiple policies with them, such as 2 cars, or your house insurance and a car. Make sure you see what the prices are when you have 1 company for everything.

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
July 6th, 2007, 05:52 AM
state farm...auto-homeowner's all of it, saved a good bit doing all of our stuff with one agency.

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
July 6th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Thanks guys. I am looking at Geico right now. They are saving me over $1400 a year or a little over $100 a month on both vehicles I have right now. I am having them do a quote on the house insurance too to see what they can do on that front. Allstate, while I have had no problems with them, since my wreck 3 years ago, they have stuck it to me big time. (Of course some of the blame goes to this wack SC government).

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
July 6th, 2007, 07:28 AM
What I've noticed is that once a company has your business they aren't willing to give you the best rates they can. Probably becuase they would lose money on the deal. But if you switch to another company they aint getting **** from you so getting some money is better the zero money.

I was getting bushwhacked by Nationwide, when I turned 26 I thought my rates would drop considerably. When it didn't I called and they told me it wouldn't drop until I was 30. I checked with Statefarm and they said it would drop immediately since I was 26. I figured hell I was 26 never been in an accident, never gotten a ticket, I'd been married for 7 years and had 2 kids. I'm about the safest bet they can take.

Hamburger
July 6th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Auto insurance is always a fickle thing and yes it will seem like they are raping you every 6 months, but consider when you have an accident (lets not get into fatal ones please).

Don't be afraid to tell your auto/home/life etc that you are shopping around. You might be suprised by the "magic discounts" that suddenly appear. Also if you are shopping around make sure that you are comparing the same coverage. Make sure that you are not getting any extras or exclusions. Underwriters love to tell you its "the same" but there would be little extras like a towing package or no coverage if you are not wearing your seatbelt etc.

No I am not an insurance underwriter, but an insurance broker in California.

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
July 6th, 2007, 09:12 AM
The only thing so far that I do not like about some of these insurance companies is that they will offer you a quote, you buy it, but wait, we need to run the driving record now that we have your money and sock it to ya. I ask to get a firm quote and very few will do it until you commit. Bastages.

Hamburger
July 6th, 2007, 09:24 AM
The only thing so far that I do not like about some of these insurance companies is that they will offer you a quote, you buy it, but wait, we need to run the driving record now that we have your money and sock it to ya. I ask to get a firm quote and very few will do it until you commit. Bastages.

Yikes that does sound a little shady. Do they refund 100% of your money if you don't bind the coverage? Or is there a "Processing Fee"? Sounds like its time for a call to your state's insurance commissioner about that practice. You might also be able to find a Personal Lines Broker to help you get a decent price on auto insurance.

Sorry that you are having so much trouble. My brothers and I are on USAA since my father served in the Army. One of my brothers got niped on a DUI and USAA dropped him. Now he pays 3x what he paid annually...every 6 months!

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
July 6th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Yeah....to be honest that is what Geico and ESurance wants to do. So many people here at where I work use Geico, but dang, if they want your business, surely that can spare 12 bucks total for your driving records. I am working with my Allstate agent to see what he can do. He seemed fairly optimistic that there was something he could do to help.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
July 6th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Well, Hamburger it sounds like you may be a resident insurance adviser.. LOL, it dose help when we have people with different backgrounds chime in on a issue one of us is having. :) Thanks for the insight, and tips to look at when shopping for insurance.

I can use some of that info :)

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
July 7th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Yeah...thanks to Hamburger, I am staying with Allstate. They came off some money and was inline with others except Geico who was still the cheapest, but who knows what the premium could have been after they run the driving records when I gave them the initial payment.

Hamburger
July 8th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Well, Hamburger it sounds like you may be a resident insurance adviser.. LOL, it dose help when we have people with different backgrounds chime in on a issue one of us is having. :) Thanks for the insight, and tips to look at when shopping for insurance.

I can use some of that info :)

Alway willing to help where I can.

Yeah...thanks to Hamburger, I am staying with Allstate. They came off some money and was inline with others except Geico who was still the cheapest, but who knows what the premium could have been after they run the driving records when I gave them the initial payment.

That's what brokers are for. We try to get you better coverage than you would be able to get on your own. Infact just this week my boss and I got EPLI (employment practices liability insurance) coverage for an insured. Last year they got $1million of coverage for $x, but this year we got them $5Million of coverage for the same money as last year.

Always glad to help. While my knowledge of personal insurance is a little limited since I specialize in commercial accounts.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==