PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Season is Upon Us

LA_MERC_LaTech
June 29th, 2007, 08:07 AM
To ex-Louisianians, present-Louisianians, people that might visit Louisiana, and future-Louisianains:

We're about to enter the peak of the hurricane season. Any day now, you're going to turn on the TV and see a weatherman pointing to some radar blob out in the Gulf of Mexico and making two basic meteorological points:

1.. There is no need to panic
2.. We could all be killed

Yes, hurricane season is an exciting time to be in La. If you're new to the area, you're probably wondering what you need to do to prepare for the possibility that we'll get hit by, "The Big One." Based on our experiences, we recommend that you follow this simple three-step hurricane-preparedness plan:

1.. Buy enough food and bottled water to last your family for at least three days.
2.. Put these supplies in your car
3.. Drive to Nebraska and remain there until Halloween.

Unfortunately, statistics show that most people will not follow this sensible plan. Most people will foolishly stay here in Louisiana. We'll start with one of the most important hurricane-preparedness items.

HURRICANE INSURANCE:

If you own a home, you must have hurricane insurance. Fortunately, this insurance is cheap and easy to get, provided that your home meets two basic requirements:

1.. It is reasonably well-built
2.. It is located in Nebraska.

Unfortunately, if your home is located in South Louisiana, or any other area that actually be hit by a hurricane, most insurance companies would prefer not to sell you hurricane insurance. So, you'll have to scrounge for an insurance company, which will charge you an annual premium roughly equal to the replacement value of your house. At any moment, this company can drop you like used dental floss.

Since Hurricane Georges, I have had an estimated 27 different home-insurance companies. This week, I'm covered by the Bob and Big Stan Insurance Company, under a policy which states that, in addition to my premium, Bob and Big Stan are entitled, upon demand, to my kidneys.

SHUTTERS:

Your house should have hurricane shutters on all the windows, doors... And, if its a major hurricane, the toilets. There are several types of shutters, all with advantages and disadvantages:

A.. Plywood shutters: Advantage is that because you make them yourself, they're cheap. The disadvantage is that because you make them yourself, they will fall off.
B.. Sheet metal shutters: These work well, once you get them all up. But, once you get them up, your hands will be useless bleeding stumps that will not heal until December.
C.. Roll Down Shutters: The cream of the crop in shutters, they are very easy to use and will definitely stay up. Sadly, you will have to sell your house to pay for them.

HURRICANE PROOF WINDOWS:

These are the newest wrinkle in hurricane protection. They look like ordinary windows, but they can withstand hurricane force winds. You can be sure of this, because the salesman says so. He lives in Nebraska.

HURRICANE PROOFING YOUR PROPERTY:

As the hurricane approaches, check your yard for movable objects like BBQ grills, planters, patio furniture, visiting relatives, etc. You should, as a precaution, throw these into the swimming pool. If you don't have one, get one installed immediately. Otherwise, the hurricane winds will turn these objects into deadly missiles.

EVACUATION ROUTE:

If you live in a low lying area, you should have an evacuation route planned out. To determine if you live in a low lying area, look at your driver's license. If the address says La., you live in low-lying area. The purpose of an evacuation route is quite simple. It is to avoid being trapped in your home when the storm hits.

Instead, you will be trapped in a gigantic traffic jam several hundred miles from your home, along with 200,000 other evacuees. So, as a bonus, you will not be alone.

HURRICANE SUPPLIES:

If you don't evacuate, you will need supplies. Do not buy them now! Louisiana tradition requires that you wait until the last possible minute, then go to the supermarket and get into vicious fights with strangers over who gets the last bottle of water. In addition to food and water, you will need the following:

A.. 23 flashlights
B.. At least $156 worth of batteries that turn out to be the wrong size for when the power goes off
C.. Bleach (I don't know what for. Nobody seems to know what for but, its traditional, so get some)
D.. A buggy (shopping cart) full of deodorant
E.. A large quantity of raw chicken, to placate the alligators (ask anyone who went thru Camille or Audrey, there will be irate alligators)
F.. $35,000 worth of cash or diamonds so that you can buy a generator after the storm has passed from some man with no discernable teeth

These are all, of course, just basic precautions. As the hurricane draws near, it is vitally important to keep abreast of the situation by turning on the TV and watching reporters in rain slickers stand right next to the gulf and tell you over and over and over how important it is for everyone to stay away from the gulf.

The last item you will need, but definitely not the least, is alcohol. This is the most important item. Make sure you have enough to last from June-November. This is necessary for escape when you are stuck with relatives. But, remember, after season is over, you will need to restock for the holidays.

LA_MERC_Nutria
June 29th, 2007, 08:27 AM
LMAO!! That is true and funny

Ab1dab1
June 30th, 2007, 01:38 PM
LMAO.

I'm thinking you must have moved because of a storm ;)

I don't think I ever shared pics of my house in Meraux, LA (it is in St Bernard Parish) where the infamous MRGO runs along side.

Check out the before and after pics.

It is a small reminder of what a big enough storm (Katrina) and 12.5 feet of water can do to a home.

On the after picture, that grass on the roof gives you an idea of how high the water was. If you look close enough you'll see the carcus of my gaming rig in the front yard on the clay (yeah there was no grass or anything green for miles). I attempted to salvage the hard drive but it was literally full of water (sealed drive my arse).

I didn't want to post this as a downer....just for people to take storms seriously. Despite what weathermen and computer models think, threat to life and property is always there.....so don't take chances.

The only thing that survived Katrina from my old home was the minivan, my family, our three cats, and my "hurricane bag" which had a photo album from our wedding/honeymoon/vacations, insurance papers, marriage/birth certificates, and one copy of every one of our bills. You'd be surprised how much those little things help when you don't have your computer with all your e-banking stuff or account numbers and paper files, etc.

Just a reminder to be prepared, because you never know what's going to happen.

Abi
:outta:

Ab1dab1
June 30th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Oh....I figured since I was at it....everyone would get a kick out of my "Flying Refrigerator".

I was amazed that the seals on my Kenmore refrigerator held with all that water. The whole fridge floated and when the water came back down it came to rest on two doorknobs and the wall and the side of a cabinet. There is another door on the other side of the fridge where the laundry room was. The chair suspended on the cabinet door is priceless too.

Abi

LA_MERC_YellowDog
June 30th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Dammm Abi... I didn't realize you had been through all of that...Gezzzz... And you had a nice looking home too from the before pics.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
June 30th, 2007, 02:22 PM
All I have to say is DAMN! I thought it was a snow pic at first.

LA_MERC_Wetzny
June 30th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Holy cow.. Seeing the pictures of your home destroyed is powerful enough, I couldn't comprehend what living through it must be like. Thoughts and prayers to you and the many others I'm sure we know who experienced that hurt and loss.

LA_MERC_Dirge
June 30th, 2007, 11:22 PM
um er lol i guess

its all true and now my insurance company is dropping me... w000t we will survive we will survive

LA_MERC_Dragonlady[s]
July 1st, 2007, 06:08 AM
Ad1dab1,We didn't get that much water. Infact to look at the outside of our house after the storm you would never know a storm came through but on the inside we got 4feet of water. Our mail box and post was gone when we got home. Our back yard had it bad but the front was ok looking. Our house didn't look all that bad inside but the water was enough to ruin everything. I'll show my frig and Jerry's

The First 2 is my frig, last 2 is Jerrys frig (if you can find it, it's green) and his kitchen...
Our frig floated to the back door we coun't even get in the back or the front door we had to go through a window

Boy I haven't looked at our storm pictures in a year. That dang storm left us bitter I guess you can say..

LA_MERC_Sabre
July 1st, 2007, 08:06 AM
I'm just staying away from wherever andy is.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
July 1st, 2007, 08:18 AM
Well...Andys in Bama... So I guess your good on that part :)

LA_MERC_Dragonlady[s]
July 1st, 2007, 08:53 AM
Yeah he moved over here and took "the" storm with him..
Next time I'm in bama I'm hunting him down and beating him with the ugly stick!!! I'm not but 30 minutes away...

Ab1dab1
July 1st, 2007, 07:12 PM
I know the pics look bad...actually today there is just a slab. I still own the land but it is pretty much worthless right now. Maybe in a few years it will be worth something again.

A lot of people had it worse off than me. DL if you and Dragon stayed in your home and fixed it, I have a lot of admiration for you both.

People felt really bad that we lost just about everything, but I was happy that I could just walk away from it and not have to fix it or even worse live in it or a trailer while I tried to fix it.

As irony would have it, we are now living in a house that is twice as big and my house note is less than the old house was.

Yeah we lost a lot of memories but I kept telling my wife we have the rest of our lives to make new ones :)

PS: Also made sure that the new house was above sea-level (24.5 feet above sealevel). I'm pretty much guarenteed to never flood (hey all it meant is that my flood insurance was only $200 a year for max coverage on my house).

Abi

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
July 1st, 2007, 07:52 PM
F.. $35,000 worth of cash or diamonds so that you can buy a generator after the storm has passed from some man with no discernable teeth
Who drove to the South, from Nebraska, with a trailer full.

G.. An Axe to cut through your roof. Don't hide in the attic without one.

LA_MERC_Dragonlady[s]
July 2nd, 2007, 08:18 AM
Ab1dab1 Yeah If it wasn't for FEMA (THANK GOD FOR FEMA) we wouldn't have got it fixed back up. We only got back 5000. from ins. As for staying in the house NO WAY! we were the first house on our street to have our house fixed back up. We had everything fixed by Dec after the storm. We are renting the house out right now in hopes that the people will buy it (because I don't want to have to deal with it anymore) We moved back to our home town 45 minutes away, stayed in a trailer for a year and moved into a biger house. Our old house was around 1200sf 3 bed room 1 and 1/2 bath our new house is 2300sf 4 bed room 2 bath with a den. So were happy! Don't have to leave the house every time storm comes in. We got more room.
We didn't get it as bad as most people did but the water ruined just about everything in the house. Thats ok tho I got me all new stuff. BUT the things that couldn't be replaced are the things I'm mad about the most my mommas hope chest she gave to me when she had when she was a little girl, his dads old comic books from around 1950.
There was about a 2 week time after the storm where we had to stay at peoples houses just to have a roof over our heads. We stayed with my mom and my brother. We even got the tint out and "camped" outside. Our house sat and cooked for a week before we went down there to look at it. We drove down there and was like WOW it hasn't even been touched. Our pool was down and laying in the drive way, the back yard was messed up bad but the house wasn't until we walked in. The smell was BAD! Mold was growing up the wall. oh it was nasty in there.
When the insurance man came by to look at it he had to "FIND" stuff to cover just so we could get back some money. What Pissed us off was both house beside us got back something like 14k$ from there Ins. and we got back 5k!! The difference was they had roof damage and we didn't. I tell you if it wasn't for FEMA helping us on what they did we wouldn't have had enough to do anything. And if it wasn't for the Red Cross money they gave out we wouldn't have had winter clothes.
It was hard coming from a house with everything to staying in a trailer where nothing in it is yours. But we are good and happy with what we got now. It's different in our home town then it was on the coast.
like you said it could have been a lot worse! The house and everything in it could have went down and we may not have got but $5.00 from ins. so it could have been worse.

OK now that I have wrote a book on this I need to go get me some COFFEE!!
oh and sorry if anything is misspelled

LA_MERC_YellowDog
July 2nd, 2007, 04:34 PM
Nope... you did a great job... theres not 1 misspelled word in there :)
"I ran spell check for ya"

You put in a nut shell what you went through D/L, but that was a lot...
I'm glad you and Dragon ended up on your feet, instead of on your A$$ like some people did...
Just thank God for putting you in a better place..
:)and above sea level this time..:)

LA_MERC_Dragonlady[s]
July 2nd, 2007, 04:55 PM
theres not 1 misspelled word in there :)
"I ran spell check for ya"

:)and above sea level this time..:)

LOL at spell check... we should do that for all Dragon's posts... hehehe...

Our old house was above sea level thats why we didn't have to have the flood insurance UNTIL after the storm then 1/2 the front yard was under sea level. Now we have to have it(flood insurance) if we want help the or if next time it happends again..

Yeah we were one of the lucky ones out there... could have been a lot worse...

Our new house in on a hill!!!

Ab1dab1
July 7th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I hear ya loud and clear on the whole insurance debacle.

I still think there are lawsuits still being filed. The good news is we all landed back on our feet.

Our old city was so devastated that they didn't start letting residents back in the area until October. Two weeks after they started letting people come back to assess the damage, Rita hit and flooded everything again.

I don't want to go through that mess again. My wife has already informed me if this happens again that we're pulling up stakes and moving ;x

Abi

Big_ch33se
July 8th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Well I got 12.5k from my insurance company and had to use 10k to pay off the credit card bills my b1tch ran up behind my back before she left me and the kids to run off to cali :) . So I got to fix the roof atleast. Still need ceiling repairs and some renovation work before its completely comfortable in here, but yes Robbie, we will survive!

LA_MERC_YellowDog
July 9th, 2007, 01:33 PM
had to use 10k to pay off the credit card bills my b1tch ran up behind my back before she left me and the kids to run off to cali

Dammm Alan, I didn't know that dude,,, I think the word Bit@h might be a little to nice for her, but I'm glad your getting it all back together.

Ab1dab1
July 9th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Just keep at it Cheese....eventually it will finally be done and you can take some time off to relax. :)

Abi

LA_MERC_Dirge
July 10th, 2007, 09:34 PM
got the lowdown on my new insurance rate today. increase of 59%. Could have been worse I guess. At least my auto went down almost that with the new car. yeah go figure that one, lol. Yeah, we will survive, speaking of which, where's the beers invites? I organized the last one. Remember, I supplied plenty o' eye candy too!

LA_MERC_Andyconda
July 11th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Well, I ran to Bama when Katrina came but i didn't quite get there in enough time to pull her back away from Louisiana. Sorry Peeps. I do seem to be a hurricane magnet. Pics were scary Abi and DL. Hope your still doin gok.

But Robby. What is this beer invite of which you speek and the aformention eye candy. What's going on and why am I not informed.

LA_MERC_Dirge
July 11th, 2007, 05:20 PM
beer tasting ws the last one. I'm waiting on someone else to put together such an event. It was hard work :stick

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==