PDA

View Full Version : It's a privledge not a right...

LA_MERC_Wetzny
June 13th, 2007, 07:10 AM
More immigration fodder, a nice reminder its not a right to live in the United States. Particularly for those who entered illegally and continue to flout the system, consuming precious government resources (your tax dollars).

http://article.nationalreview.com/print/?q=ZWU5MGZhZDEzNDg1ODFhMjI1M2JjMjQ3ZDQwMDVkOWE=

waltersw15
June 13th, 2007, 07:33 AM
I have mixed feelings on this topic considering my wife was an illegal alien when I married her, and we fought INS for 8 years before getting that stuff straight.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
June 13th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Walters, there are still people fighting to become legal but very few of them. Its not just people crossing the mexican boarder.

What happens to all the other nationalities that try to come into this country and become a legal residence through the proper channels? The government is basically saying that if you are able to sneak into the country illegally, then you will automatically become a citizen while those going through proper channels can take up to 4-6 years.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
June 13th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Well I still stand on the principal that if you try to get here legally then more power to you, if your not paying taxes and supporting the "System" then you don't get to use it.... thats how I feel about it.

I think there shouldn't be a First, Second, Third, or any other court of anything, available for someone who doesn't pay for it.

LA_MERC_Sabre
June 13th, 2007, 11:24 AM
I'm filing my wife's papers as we speak....she did not come into the US illegally but her papers have expired. So I guess technically she is illegal. However, she did enter the US legally with a Visa; now I'm a US citizen....it's just taken me awhile to get things going....the threat of the enourmous increase in cost helps move things along :)

Chi_Townz
June 13th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Well I still stand on the principal that if you try to get here legally then more power to you, if your not paying taxes and supporting the "System" then you don't get to use it.... thats how I feel about it.

RGR That Dogg!

LA_MERC_Wetzny
June 14th, 2007, 06:02 AM
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage
to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin.

But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American,
and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here.
Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all.

We have room for but one flag, the American flag..

We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...
and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

LA_MERC_Sabre
June 14th, 2007, 09:13 AM
I admire his love for our country, but I have to say that is a bit outdated when it comes to the 'one language'. It is a very different world and we need to be able to speak multiple languages or I feel we will not be a power in the world for too much longer. Granted, I agree you should only be an "American" if you claim to be a citizen, but I don't think you have to fit to a certain "American" mold to be a citizen. What is an "American" mold anyway? I can make a bunch of stereotypes, but that's all it would be...stereotypes.

LA_MERC_Wetzny
June 14th, 2007, 10:32 AM
For the sake of conversation, I'll go down this road.

I don't think this (TR's) concept of one America is outdated. I do think those who choose to become citizens of a nation should generally abide by the customs and language of that nation. If I were immigrating to France, I should be willing and able to be moderately able to speak a functional amount of French. That does not mean I would not speak English also or in my home. I see this every day, at a particular Korean restaurant I enjoy weekly, the owner uses English as his primary business language; he also uses Korean in private conversation with patrons, employees and family. I think the message is clear, there can be only one official language and in America TR is referring to English.

Sabre for the sake of conversation, what is the downside to being molded into an American? If you don’t want to be “American” then why become a citizen? That’s one I still can’t figure out.

Who knows what the “mold” is. But I’ll describe what I think TR is talking about.

I think in the time of TR’s comment he was describing an American who was self-reliant, strong of character, committed to family and country. It’s been a few years since I’ve read TR’s biography, but let’s remember the kind of man this comment came from, there we find the context from which to frame his vision and his words.

Harvard Graduate, acclaimed author (while still in college) New York assemblyman, National Guardsman (officer), Rancher in North Dakota, Police Commissioner of New York City, Assistant Secretary of US Navy (age 39), TR resigns as Assistant Secretary of the Navy to become Lieutenant-Colonel of the 1st US Volunteer Cavalry Regiment, Nominated for Congressional Medal of Honor (denied, then awarded 100 years later!) Elected Governor of New York age 40, Vice President United States, President at 42.

The above to me illustrates that TR was a man committed to the ideal that America was a country that, even with its foibles and imperfections, was different than any other on earth and those who came here should strive to emulate the inherent good found in its people, and its collective ambition as a nation. Acceptance of an "American" way of life was the path to success as a citizen and created a unity of purpose for a whole nation. IMHO.

LA_MERC_Sabre
June 14th, 2007, 01:15 PM
I don't disagree with anything you said, actually I agree. My point was simply that the "only room for one language" comment that TR made is debatable. I also think that people who come to this country should speak English and pay taxes and adapt to the American lifestyle, which was not too difficult for me coming from Canada :)

But from just that statement in particular (without other background) I think that statement is simply false. It implies that he thinks there should be NO other languages (among other things) in America. I simply disagree.....

That may not be what he intended to say, but that is how I read it.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
June 14th, 2007, 03:58 PM
No I think the use of one language is a good idea. Why is America "adopting" spanish as its secone language? Because the BUSINESS society can sell more cell phones, cars, stereos, what-not. We are not accepting of Spanish because it is a nice thing to do. Now am I saying that one should only speak one language? NO. I am saying we should only USE one language to communicate to each other. No more Stop signs in spanish, no more Perkins signs, billboards, fecking teleprompter menus, post office instructions, etc..... How much would that save the average AMERICAN company in paper alone. Why don't the tree-huggers go after big business for wasted paper. If you WANT to come here, WANT to live here, WANT to be an American, Learn the language, abide by the laws, be dedicated to Old Glory, or shut up and get out.

IMHO anyway.:flowers

LA_MERC_Sabre
June 14th, 2007, 07:43 PM
No I think the use of one language is a good idea. Why is America "adopting" spanish as its secone language? Because the BUSINESS society can sell more cell phones, cars, stereos, what-not. We are not accepting of Spanish because it is a nice thing to do. Now am I saying that one should only speak one language? NO. I am saying we should only USE one language to communicate to each other. No more Stop signs in spanish, no more Perkins signs, billboards, fecking teleprompter menus, post office instructions, etc..... How much would that save the average AMERICAN company in paper alone. Why don't the tree-huggers go after big business for wasted paper. If you WANT to come here, WANT to live here, WANT to be an American, Learn the language, abide by the laws, be dedicated to Old Glory, or shut up and get out.

IMHO anyway.:flowers

a little clarification here because it sounds like you guys think I'm in love with illegal immigrants...I do think you should learn the language and the culture of the country you live in. As a matter of fact I can't stand illegal immigrants, especially those that don't even bother trying to learn the English language. They come here and think that they have all these rights...I think they have the right to get there ass back on the boat.

But do people have the right to speak whatever language they want to in their own home....hell yes. But they should conduct business in english and attend english public schools.

Chi_Townz
June 14th, 2007, 08:46 PM
They come here and think that they have all these rights...I think they have the right to get there ass back on the boat.

But do people have the right to speak whatever language they want to in their own home....hell yes. But they should conduct business in English and attend English public schools.

Saber, I think THAT is the point!(well said)

Weather or not TR meant to say something else, we may never know, but the context of the statement is..
There can be no fifty-fifty Americanism in this country. There is room here for only 100 percent. Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else.
~Theodore Roosevelt

If I were to go to Mexico, I would be expected to learn Spanish. Same as any country.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
June 15th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Si Senior!
Uno mas cerveza por favor.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
June 15th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I can't even believe this became a debate. THIS IS AMERICA. THE PEOPLE HERE SPEAK ENGLISH. PERIOD. If you want to come here to live and proper, GREAT!, but by all means do your due dilligence. I know becoming a citizen is a long and ardious task, but do your research on what it takes to become a citizen in another country EVEN MEXICO. I'm amazed to this date that countries like Mexico and Bermuda still have laws that state if you weren't born there you can never become a full citizen. Look it up. If you went to live in Mexico you would NOT have the right to own land and have hardly any government privledges. Its an outrage. I can't believe the general populus is even debating this. IF YOU WANT TO COME HERE PAY YOUR DUES, PAY YOUR TAXES, ansd LEARN THE DAMN LANGUAGE. Now if you want to speak your native language all the time with friends and family, great, that's neat. But if you try to ask me where the nearest starbucks is in spanish I'm going to kick you square in the ****ing nuts and tell you to try again with the kings english you free loading, worthless, wet back. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

waltersw15
June 15th, 2007, 08:41 PM
I think you meant to say that you would kick them square in the ****ing cojones, or kick them in their ****ing juevos. They won't understand what you are saying if you use the word "nuts"

Chi_Townz
June 15th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Necesito a médico aquÃ*

Courtesy of Babel Fish (http://babelfish.altavista.com/)

LA_MERC_Sabre
June 17th, 2007, 09:14 AM
I can't even believe this became a debate. THIS IS AMERICA. THE PEOPLE HERE SPEAK ENGLISH. PERIOD. If you want to come here to live and proper, GREAT!, but by all means do your due dilligence. I know becoming a citizen is a long and ardious task, but do your research on what it takes to become a citizen in another country EVEN MEXICO. I'm amazed to this date that countries like Mexico and Bermuda still have laws that state if you weren't born there you can never become a full citizen. Look it up. If you went to live in Mexico you would NOT have the right to own land and have hardly any government privledges. Its an outrage. I can't believe the general populus is even debating this. IF YOU WANT TO COME HERE PAY YOUR DUES, PAY YOUR TAXES, ansd LEARN THE DAMN LANGUAGE. Now if you want to speak your native language all the time with friends and family, great, that's neat. But if you try to ask me where the nearest starbucks is in spanish I'm going to kick you square in the ****ing nuts and tell you to try again with the kings english you free loading, worthless, wet back. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

lmao Andy...you would be kicking balls everyday around here...hehehe

I think 3 of every 10 people (Hispanics) do not know one English word..of course that may be an exageration but it sure seems that way.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==