PDA

View Full Version : Open Source...(Security)

LA_MERC_MadMAX
June 5th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Funny Story Time...

A lot of the time people back in the Computers department send people to me if they hear the word Linux - as they know I run it -

Anyway - they sent this guy to talk to me yesterday...

He wanted to run Linux, but was scared to because it was "Open Source"...

He was scared of the "open source" thing because he thought that since it was open source, anyone could look at the code and figure out how to hack into his computer...

I never could convince him that Linux was a VERY secure operating system, and that he had no worries about being hacked because linux was open sorce...

i DO think I scared him when I told him that Firefox was open source (after he told me that he browses w/ firefox because it is more secure than IE)

Ab1dab1
June 5th, 2007, 06:48 PM
You should have told him the OS X was based on a Linux kernal. The poor guy would never buy anything Apple again -g-

Hehehe

Abi

LA_MERC_Spark
June 6th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Meh... all people know is what others tell them. It sounds to me like Linux would be a little bit above his user level anyway. Then you'd have to hold his hand through PEBCAK wonderland.

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
June 6th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Any OS is as secure as the administrator makes it. If you want something secure, read up on some security practices.

If you want a really secure OS, turn your computer off. Thats as secure as you can get.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
June 6th, 2007, 02:26 PM
If you want a really secure OS, turn your computer off. Thats as secure as you can get.

Or unplug yourself from the internet... Permanently :)

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==