PDA

View Full Version : IT job market

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
February 19th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Here's the dealio, the plant I work at is possibly going to be closed in 2009 and I'm definately going to be laid off in May this year. I look at this as an opportunity to see what's out there. I've always wanted to work with computers and be like you nubs. Catch is I don't have a degree or anything that's worthwhile for an IT like job so I'd need some schooling.

Here's the questions, if I get my certs what and which should I get? I'm thinking MCSE and CCNA, but I've heard of Network+. What would be the most beneficial certs to have for the job market?

There is a school near me that will get you MCSE and CCNA certified in 6 months and will help get you a job, but it costs about 25k. I'm thinking that money could pay for a BA instead of just the certs. Although it would take years for me to get a BA and only 6 months for the certs and making money. Something that really screws me is I make 54k a year now so it will be hard to find another job that pays as good with my lack of skills in anything.

I'm kinda f'ed really.

Chuck

Chi_Townz
February 19th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Man that sucks Ex.

Go here..
http://search.pwc.com/extweb/jobsrch.nsf/ussearch?openform&language=eng~country=us~interest=
If there is anything you think might fit, let me know and I might be able to submit your resume internally. The Firm likes referrals more than off the street apps.

Good Luck man.

LA_MERC_Spark
February 19th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Here's the dealio, the plant I work at is possibly going to be closed in 2009 and I'm definately going to be laid off in May this year. I look at this as an opportunity to see what's out there. I've always wanted to work with computers and be like you nubs. Catch is I don't have a degree or anything that's worthwhile for an IT like job so I'd need some schooling.

Here's the questions, if I get my certs what and which should I get? I'm thinking MCSE and CCNA, but I've heard of Network+. What would be the most beneficial certs to have for the job market?

There is a school near me that will get you MCSE and CCNA certified in 6 months and will help get you a job, but it costs about 25k. I'm thinking that money could pay for a BA instead of just the certs. Although it would take years for me to get a BA and only 6 months for the certs and making money. Something that really screws me is I make 54k a year now so it will be hard to find another job that pays as good with my lack of skills in anything.

I'm kinda f'ed really.

Chuck

you don't need certs to get an IT job. I have an IT job and I don't know shiot.. just have to be able to bs em, or know someone :D

Chi_Townz
February 19th, 2007, 10:36 PM
yeh, now and days, its all about customer service..

LA_MERC_YellowDog
February 20th, 2007, 05:20 AM
yeh, now and days, its all about customer service..

True,,, But a Certifications af any kind would still help the man... at least he can go to an interview and say, Well I have my _____, however at my current employer Im the man everyone turns to... REAL world experience says a lot.

LA_MERC_LaTech
February 20th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Focus on your degree first. Degree and experience mean a lot more than certs do. Once you get your degree, then start working (at your own pace) on certs...

Talk to [email protected]'s the resident cert guru (I think)

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
February 20th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Knowing someone and experience are the 2 main things that will get you in the door.

presenting yourself well and showing how you would benefit them as an employee will have them give you more consideration.

A degree can in some cases give you an edge, but when I look at who I'm going to hire, I think more about the person and the skills they have demonstrated in the recent years than I do what kind of degree they have.

Certs are good for a couple things - if it comes down to you and another candidate the certs can give you an edge. And, if you are looking for a niche - do you want to be server admin, network/wan admin, web admin, help desk, etc. etc. getting certs in that field will help you if you are looking for a job only in that field.

Best thing to do is figure out what area of IT you want to try out first. admin, support, project management, etc. Then talk to those you know (coming here is a great start, but don't let it end there, let everyone know what you are looking for. If you know people at mid-large companies ask them to check their job openings). If someone tells you of an opening you are interested in, do research on it. get people's names, company history, company goals and their weaknesses. write up a cover letter showing how you will fit in and help the company work towards achiving their goals.

Since you don't have the experience in the IT field, try to corrolate your current skills to IT. do you perform any project management now? any problem solving, asset management, systems or people support?

sooo..... I guess this means I need to buy my black Charger SRT8 before May?

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
February 20th, 2007, 09:20 AM
lmao at c.o.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
February 20th, 2007, 12:38 PM
sooo..... I guess this means I need to buy my black Charger SRT8 before May?

Probably a good idea. ;)

As for knowing someone I'm most likely f'ed again because I don't get out all that much and I'm not a bs'er. Two things I'm going to have to correct. Since I don't really know what each area of IT does I can't say what I'd like and/or could do. Real world experience is zero as well, I mess with some nubs computers once in a while but I don't know as much as you guys.

Thanks for the info guys atleast I understand a little more about what needs to happen if I'm seriously considering an IT career.

LA_MERC_LaTech
February 20th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Start networking now...it's never too late to start.

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
February 20th, 2007, 01:24 PM
C.O. Pretty much nailed it. This is probably one of the biggest debates on the some of the certification/education forums I deal with. I do not have a degree, but yet, I have 2 MCSE certs, A+, Network+ and others. I was out of work for nearly a year and with these certifications I thought it was matter picking who I wanted to work for....NOT! I struggled to find work. The best thing one could ever do is figure out how to get their 4 year degree (at minimum a 2 year associates).

In my experience and from talking to others, the job market has pretty much has kicked those without degree's to the curb. The only possibility of getting a good paying IT job, is the "it's who you know" verbage.

Whatever you do, do not tell the possible employer that the only computers you have dealt with it the one's at home or friends. That will get you filed into File 13 (aka trash can) faster then you can make it out of the door. It all boils down to real world business experience to make the good $s.

A degree can in some cases give you an edge, but when I look at who I'm going to hire, I think more about the person and the skills they have demonstrated in the recent years than I do what kind of degree they have.

C.O....Where were you at when I needed a job? LOL! I hear and see this a lot. Here in the southeast, this mentality just simply does not exist.

If I were you, go ahead and get the network+ and A+ certs. They are the basic certifications and are just enough to get entry level IT jobs like helpdesks, technical support (phone support), etc. If you can accept starting your salary over (work for considerably less that what you are making now) working an entry level position, then you can start working on your bigger certifications like the MCSE, CCNA, CNE, etc (or that 4 year degree)and gradually build your salary back up with the experience you get.

presenting yourself well and showing how you would benefit them as an employee will have them give you more consideration.

He is very right! Play yourself up in the interview. If you have the right attitude, mentallity, initiative, etc, you will have plenty of shots getting in the IT field with little/no experience. There are still some businesses out there that want to give people a chance.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==