Currently I have the
AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet Express Package
Down-stream 384 Kbps to 1.5 Mbps
Up-stream 128 to 384 Kbps

What ever that means... the
AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet Elite Package
Down-stream 3.0 to 6.0 Mbps
Up-stream 512 to 768 Kbps

The one I would like to have is not available in my hood yet... yeh, what ever..

So the question remains, should I go Cable?
Comcast speed tiers range from 4.0Mbps to 8.0Mbps download speed (maximum upload speed from 384Kbps to 768Kbps respectively)

There are 2 different tiers...
Up to 8 Mbps download speed, 768 Kbps upstream speed
For just $10 more a month, you can enjoy even faster Internet access. Our 8 Mbps/768 Kbps High-Speed Internet package delivers top-quality access at phenomenal speeds:
* Over 100 times faster then dial-up
* Over 4 times faster then 1.5 Mb DSL

Or

Up to 6 Mbps download speed, 384 Kbps upstream speed
Our standard 6 Mbps/384 Kbps High-Speed Internet package allows you to enjoy super fast speeds:
* Over 70 times faster then dial-up
* Over 2 times faster then 1.5 Mb DSL

So... I guess after seeing this, its a no brainier, but shoot, Ive had DSL for 4+ years now, it would mean changing email addresses... but its faster...

What do you all think?:shockwhor

LA_MERC_YellowDog
January 18th, 2007, 05:32 AM
Well, were im at, cable is the better bet, but i have no Idea how comcast service is. If your DSL service is stable, and has a good support structure i would stick with that.

Also, if you ever plan on running your own FTP server, for the benefit of other people, a faster upload is a good thing.

LA_MERC_Nutria
January 18th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Cable is the debil.. I have had soooo much trouble with cable. I havent had one lick of trouble with DSL since I switched. One thing to check on though... how good is your cable television. If your cable goes out often then you will have problems with your connection. Other problems I had with cable was packet loss... they couldnt gaurantee packet loss and I never got the speed I was paying for. I was paying for 3.0meg service and was getting 1meg service. They told me that it fluctuates with internet traffic in your area.

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 18th, 2007, 06:08 AM
DSL pwns!

Chi_Townz
January 18th, 2007, 06:16 AM
See thats what I was afraid of... the who whos on line thing.
I want to upgrade the DSL but its not available... maybe if I threaten to go to cable.... LOL

Cable is the debil.. I have had soooo much trouble with cable. I havent had one lick of trouble with DSL since I switched. One thing to check on though... how good is your cable television. If your cable goes out often then you will have problems with your connection. Other problems I had with cable was packet loss... they couldnt gaurantee packet loss and I never got the speed I was paying for. I was paying for 3.0meg service and was getting 1meg service. They told me that it fluctuates with internet traffic in your area.

LA_MERC_eX1|eS' ch1|d
January 18th, 2007, 06:20 AM
I thought Dirge would tell you about the dealio but I can give a quick run down that might make sense.

DSL is yours, you will get the speeds they say, depending on the distance from your home office. High peak doesn't matter much when using DSL.

Cable is shared between you and everyone else on your node, something like that. So your speeds will change depending on the amount of people in your area that have and use cable at the same time as you. So peak times, like evenings and weekends, your speeds won't be too good.

It's hit or miss man, like Yellowdog said if they are a steady provider than you shold be ok.

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
January 18th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Yeah what he said, I have Optonline cable , i get 12-14 down and 3-5 up

LA_MERC_Diesel
January 18th, 2007, 10:06 AM
it is hard to tell Chi, as an AT&T employee, I say stay..otherwise you are removed from the clan :p:

but in all seriousness, it really depends on the area, if you can get 6Mb DSL and keep everything, that is better than 8M cable IMHO.

LA_MERC_Shadow
January 18th, 2007, 11:45 AM
All this talk made me upgrade to the 6mb after talking to Dirge. Lol.

Diesel, is all of bellsouth being absorbed into AT&T or just portions?

LA_MERC_Diesel
January 18th, 2007, 01:07 PM
BellSouth is no more...technically, we are all one happy AT&T again...although you will see the BellSouth name for a while until the full transition takes place

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 18th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Just Ask baby! I wonder if we will get access to AT&T's version of LQS?

Chi_Townz
January 18th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks Guys...

Daedelus
January 18th, 2007, 09:37 PM
iv hav e always had DSl and was pleased but same thing in my region. comcast had laid the new wires and are way faster now. i would switch to them myself but the place i live is already wire for a t-1 line and its free. so dont whant to pass on free to get just better speed.

LA_MERC_Dirge
January 18th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Hey Chi, BellSouth & AT&T are deploying this now:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADSL2+

and this as the next step (as in 1-2 years)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very-high-bit-rate_Digital_Subscriber_Line_2

Chi_Townz
January 20th, 2007, 06:37 AM
you kinda lost me Dirge....

Rollout
January 20th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Go for the fastest cable you can afford, we have DSL which is advertised at 8 Meg (download), 756K (up), but the BEST I have ever experienced is 6Meg, typical is 3 - 4 Meg and I can literally see the telephone compant from my back yard. DSL also slows down during peak hours, Wednesday nights are the worst here when I'm lucky to get 1 Meg down. One of my friends works at Gulftel and always gives me the latest hardware and upgrades they have available and I still can't get what is advertised.

What I'm saying is you won't always get what is advertised, go for the fastest package available.

LA_MERC_Diesel
January 22nd, 2007, 09:47 AM
Only a bad site, would ever slow dsl, cable slows during peek times, DSL should be much more consistant, it can happen, but never should.

LA_MERC_Wetzny
January 22nd, 2007, 09:55 AM
Why isn't this thread dead yet?

LA_MERC_YellowDog
January 22nd, 2007, 04:58 PM
CLEAR!!!! "BZZZZZZZ" Your good to go, now get back in the fight!!!!

Chi_Townz
January 23rd, 2007, 07:43 AM
RGR THAT!

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==