PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Vista, and other questions to get me back up to speed in PC's

LA_MERC_MadMAX
January 16th, 2007, 04:47 PM
God, for one I feel wierd posting a question here -but I've been out of the "computer loop" for a while working exclusively with Home Theater, Car Audio and Appliances stuff for nearly a year...

Anyway - I hadn't paid too much attention to the advances in computer tech. until I started doing research for my new machine a few weeks ago...

It's not like I didn't know about Vista or anything- I had a copy of a beta we got at the store a while back, and even loaded it on my old computer - for like a week - just got too slow on that machine...

With my new machine, I get a free upgrade to windows vista home premium, which has Aero, and a lot of the other new cool "eye candy" goodies. For those of you still in "the business", i.e., Darren, Henry, Toby, etc., do you think I should load it right away, or hold off? I was an early adopter to XP, but wound up switching back to 2000 for a while, before I stuck w/ XP. I DO have an extra hard drive in my machine that I'm not really using for anything of importance right now, so I COULD set up a dual boot, but I'm not sure what kind of vista CD gateway is sending me - it may be like a restore CD, and has all automated functions...

Also, another unrelated side question...I always thought of Windows Media Center as just XP Pro w/ a bunch of add-on crap, but running MCE 2005, it feel's a bit different - more refined - perhaps it's just the fact I've been running a "unupdatable" copy of XP so long, I hadn't gotten all the enhancements available, and it could very well be the difference in an up-to-date machince - who knows, but I do like the new "energy blue" visual style (see attachment)...

LA_MERC_YellowDog
January 16th, 2007, 05:45 PM
All I know is Im going to wait untill

1. I build a machine fast enough to use it..

2. Long enough for them to work the bugs out of it, and have a need for aplications that will run on Vista.

LA_MERC_Spark
January 16th, 2007, 05:48 PM
max pcs take on it is like any other winblows release... wait for them to fix it

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
January 16th, 2007, 08:29 PM
I beta'd it all the way through and have it running at work. It is good, but I would much rather run Windows XP. I have an HP xw8400 workstation with 4GB RAM, Dual Dual-Core Xeons, 4 SAS 146 GB drives and an ATI 256MB Firegl Video card and Vista is doing with it can to bring it to it's knee's. It scored like 4.5. Take out the pleasurable eye candy and spend about 3 days unsecuring the OS enough to not bug the piss out of you then it runs quite good. My machine at home will run it, but I definitely will need to do some serious upgrades to run it stable.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==