PDA

View Full Version : Ok what's the deal.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
December 13th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Did anyone seethe special that tigerdirect is running on teh 70" JVC HDTV with 1080p capability 1920x1080p, wtf. for only 2799. wtf. what's the catch. That's a freakin deal if its on the up and up.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2743742&sku=J300-7000&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEM1256BY

Chi_Townz
December 13th, 2006, 11:26 PM
yikes, you got $2798 I can mooch off ya?

LA_MERC_Dirge
December 14th, 2006, 06:12 AM
I guess because its rear projection 3D-ILA? Not sure what that's all about though. New HD technology I guess. Also, not many people have a living room where you can sit far enough away from a TV that sizE! LMAO

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
December 14th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Looks like prices are dropping across the board on LCD's. I've seen name brand 1080p 32" LCD for less than $1000. Saw a 27" for $450. Even the very nice 3007FP PC monitor from Dell has dropped alot. 6 months ago it was around $2100, now it's priced right at $1000.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
December 14th, 2006, 07:40 AM
I guess because its rear projection 3D-ILA? Not sure what that's all about though. New HD technology I guess. Also, not many people have a living room where you can sit far enough away from a TV that sizE! LMAO

Nonsense Robby. I could fit that baby in the bathroom and be happy. If there's no room, we make room. We're men. Walls are made to be torn down.

LA_MERC_LaTech
December 14th, 2006, 07:52 AM
That's what Reagan's whole "Mr. Gorbachev...tear this wall down!" speech was all about...he wanted to install a 70" screen in East Germany and needed the space.

LA_MERC_Drax
December 14th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Yea, prices are still dropping, i got a 42 inch flat screen lcd hanging in my living room now, i got it for under 1500.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
December 14th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Well there you have, bring down teh wall Robby and get that bad boy. What you need to do is tear out the exterior wall on teh side of your living room towards the drive way and make a bigger room to accomodate the beast. I have a 61" and it fits fine.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
December 14th, 2006, 09:09 AM
That TV is a pice o crap - the JVC projo's suck imho - they are dark, muddy and the colors are dull - if you want a rear projo, either go sony sxrd LCoS or Samsung DLP - otherwise stay w/ LCD Flat Panel - don't go plasma - the plasma technology is dying - LCD's are taking over - especially with 1080p - although the only sources that are 1080p are BluRay and PS3...a 1080p tv (since it is progressive and can't diplay interlaced images) will "de-interlace" a 1080i signal, basically displaying both sets of scan lines at a time, but it really isn't anywhere near what pure 1080p looks like - if you have a best buy in your area, the Signal our sencore broadcasts to all our TV's is a 1080i signal - now go to the display with the BluRay player, which is true 1080p and look at the difference. Personally, I would go with a 720p TV if I was mostly concerned with watching TV...the LCD's especially have a native resolution - just like LCD computer monitors...you know how fuzzy and jagged your LCD computer monitor looks if you send a lower resolution to it - same thing happens with a 1080p TV with a 720p source. NO network is broadcasting in 1080p, and NONE will for a LONG time- all the networks that just retooled thier hardware for HD to be able to do 720p and 1080i would have to totally upgrade again, and quadruple the bandwidth they put out to broadcast in 1080p, and it's unlikely 1080p could ever reliably be broadcast OTA...it takes up so much bandwith.

LA_MERC_Wetzny
December 14th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Dude, you're freaking me out. What about my 55' inch Sony DLP I bought last year? Am I still good or what?

LA_MERC_MadMAX
December 14th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Sony doesn't make a DLP... You either have a SXRD LCoS or a straight LCD Projo...

All the sony's are good though - no worries...I like the projo's myself, and I'm thinking of getting a 56" Samsung DLP come taxtime...

Flat-Panel's are the "in" thing though - and a lot of customers I talk to freak out when I say "Rear Projection" 'cause they think of those big awful CRT projo's from the late 80's through the 90's that you could barely see...lol.

You're fine - if you have a Sony - you have a good tv.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
December 14th, 2006, 10:35 AM
DLP is teh ****znat. I have a Samsung 61" DLP HDTV and I love it. I've hade it for quite some time now and it still rocks. Great image and very bright and colorful but still gets good and black when needed. The only negative at all I can say is it's wierd when you turn the TV off and you see the white spot in the center and you think Oh **** it's going out, but its not. It's a DLP thing. I hear that the SXRD is better then a Samsung DLP but if it is I can't tell the difference. If I were to recommend I would definatley say get a Samsung DLP. And you may not be right Jayson. I think Sony makes a DLP becuase I think Robby has a 56" Sony DLP.

LA_MERC_Andyconda
December 14th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Or was it a Sanyo, I get confused with those slant eye companies.

LA_MERC_LaTech
December 14th, 2006, 11:00 AM
It's an "S" company name anyway!

LA_MERC_Wetzny
December 14th, 2006, 11:26 AM
This one...Right here, WEGA????

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?CategoryName=pr_p_holidaytvsale_tv&ProductSKU=KDS55A2000

LA_MERC_Dirge
December 14th, 2006, 11:35 AM
I have a 52" Toshiba DLP. Have had for a couple of years. It r0x0rs

LA_MERC_MadMAX
December 14th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Nah - sony doesn't make a DLP, they have standard 3LCD Rear Projo's (good reliable design) and thier own patented SXRD system, which is a LCoS design, and quite comparable to the DLP, but alas, doesn't have the TI DLP chip - it has a chip of Sony's own design...

Don't know about Sanyo, I don't deal with them - of the brands I sell, Samsung, Mitsubushi, Toshiba and (ugh) RCA make a DLP...JVC has thier Crappy HDILA systems, and Hitatchi and Sony make straight 3LCD Projo's, and sony has the LCoS SXRD...also, of all the companies that make DLP TV's, nobody and I mean NOBODY does it better than Samsung - they are on a 6th generation DLP chip, while most everyone else is on a 2nd or 3rd gen chip...and I think Toshiba is on the 5th gen chip right behind Samsung - also Toshiba uses a lot of Samsung parts in thier projo TV's - just like Sony uses Samsung LCD's in ther LCD Flat Panel TV's...

Wetzny, that tv in the link is the SXRD, so it's LCoS and a VERY good TV - although I'm with Andy, *I* like the DLP a wee bit better, and would choose that if I were buying a TV right now, but LOTS and LOTS of people love that sony SXRD...

LA_MERC_MadMAX
December 14th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Also - in case any of y'all are interested in reading some pretty interesting Tech reviews, FAQ's ans such, we just added a new section to our site, kinda like Cnet and some other sites have (also linking to Cnet's site some), that explain some tech questions - all done by real employee's...

check it out http://www.askablueshirt.com

LA_MERC_Dirge
December 14th, 2006, 11:49 AM
DLP pwns! Especially pwns Yankee because he gets the rainbow effect! Inferior Genes! hahahha :stick

LA_MERC_MadMAX
December 14th, 2006, 11:57 AM
We had a lady have a seizure in our store one day looking at a DLP in our Surround Sound Demo chair...

LA_MERC_Drifter
December 14th, 2006, 12:52 PM
This is the one i finally decided on. It should be here the first of next week. By all the talk I have read I made the right choice. I didn't go with anything bigger because of limited space.

Click Here (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7997858&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat95100050039&id=1155071784564)

LA_MERC_Shadow
December 14th, 2006, 02:39 PM
I was wondering whether it would be worth it to get a 1080p, one of my coworkers just went out and bought a whole new system, 52" sony, and soundsystem. He's getting direct tv in HD but I didn't know if it would look great or what. Thanks for the info.

LA_MERC_Dirge
December 14th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Rememeber, there are more and more blue ray movies out all thew time. So technically, there is a lot of 1080p content. Just not broadcast content...

I'm waiting for a looooong while.

It's the mirrors.

Chi_Townz
December 14th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Nonsense Robby. I could fit that baby in the bathroom and be happy. If there's no room, we make room. We're men. Walls are made to be torn down.
RGR that!

So no go on the loan eh :stick

LA_MERC_Diesel
December 16th, 2006, 09:56 AM
yeah Samsung 1080i 56" DLP here and it is really nice
The new sony sxcd...whatever... rocks too.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==