PDA

View Full Version : New Rig is Here, Now What?

LA_MERC_Wetzny
October 3rd, 2006, 10:58 AM
New System is here!!!

As a few of you (Toby, Chi) know by now my particular area of expertise is not as a systems analyst or techno wizard. I’m rather ignorant of most of my equipment.

Now that my new (to me) gaming system has arrived I would appreciate guidance from the members who know what the hell they are doing and can guide me into the graceful bliss of a well functioning system; healthy, happy and ready to perform when asked.

AMD X2 4800 CPU
HITACHI 160GB SERIAL ATA 150 8MB
2 GB ( 2X 1024)DDR
COOLERMASTER WAVE MASTER ALUM. SIL.
SILVER SONY 16X DVDRW DW-Q28A DUAL
SILVER SONY 16X DVD
24" IDE ROUND CABLE WITH 3 HEADS
ASUS A8N32SLI NF4-SLI 2-X16PCIE
WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL SP2
BLUE ASPIRE 600W DARK SIDE POWER
CREATIVE X-FI XtremeMusic
2 EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE 7800GT 256MB
12-IN-ONE INTERNAL CARD READER

Except for the OS XP Professional, there is ZERO software. However all drivers are current!

So, my friends what do I do now? (After I hook it up and plug it in)

Wetz

LA_MERC_YellowDog
October 3rd, 2006, 11:33 AM
Load up BF2 and play... thats all you need right...LOL

Are you on line with this machine now, or you havent gotten that far?

LA_MERC_Wetzny
October 3rd, 2006, 12:13 PM
The Machine is on my Assistants Desk and I'm in the procss of cleaning the packing peanuts and dust off. The system will be going to the house with me tonight for set-up and possible play.

LA_MERC_YellowDog
October 3rd, 2006, 12:27 PM
Well once its fired up, the first thing I would do is get an antivirus program on it... what ever you were using before, then gert it on line.. if your behind a router this should be easy, from default the TCP/IP settings sould be set to obtain conection automaticaly. Then install Team speak, so if you do have any real problems, you can get on there and maybe get some help.

I may be stating the obvious, but thats what I would do, other than that install whatever program you got at home that you use.

As far as custom setup for performace... thats not my department. one of the other guys will need to handle that...

" Oh, make sure Widows is updated too "

LA_MERC_sLingbLade
October 3rd, 2006, 12:50 PM
congrats on the new machine...Im a techno tard so I have no helpful setup advice, as yellow said one of the gurus will chime in soon with tips im sure....I would make your assitant do your job so you can go home early and enjoy your new precious. But hey...thats just me :)

LA_MERC_Wetzny
October 3rd, 2006, 01:35 PM
Fire-fox was suggested to me for an Anti-virus software, thoughts?

My plan is to keep the new rig for gaming and web surfing only. With that said, I plan on keeping the old rig set-up for Reagan and Marietta. Also to keep it around loaded with BF2 and CS 1.6 for my friends and Reagan to use.

Both systems will be in one large room about 15 feet apart. I have DSL, Speed Stream modem, and a Linksys wireless router (for surfing with the lap top around the house and by the pool, etc.)

My OS on the old machine is XP Home Edition, so I may not be able to network (?) but that’s ok. Two stand alones operating independently will work for my purposes.

I’ve purchased fifty feet of APC Flat CAT5E networking cable, which should handle it no?

My G15 and G5 should plug and play, along with the speakers off the old system, so imagine all I need to do is find a Virus protection that is strong yet uses little resources. Add Ad-aware software, and then install the game.

I guess that means downloading the EA downloader. In what order should I install BF2?

BF2, SF, EF, AF then 1.4? or do I have to add all the patches along the way? Thoughts?

Thanks!

David

LA_MERC_Andyconda
October 3rd, 2006, 02:43 PM
WTF. You give me ****znat for wanting to upgrade and your new system kicks ass. Now I have to upgrade.

LA_MERC_Wetzny
October 3rd, 2006, 02:48 PM
Well it's just a giant paperweight right now.... We'll see what happens when I get this thing rolling... See the above post please.

Signed

I've got a Ferrari but don't know how to drive.

LA_MERC_Wetzny
October 4th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Ok. EA Sucks! I’ve got everything done, AVG anti-virus loaded, all the stuff works and this thing plays BF2 like I’ve never played it before! Dammit boy it’s sweet!

Anyway loading the last expansion (AF) and of course I get the message from the downloader at the AF install “download is corrupted; download again.” I download again; get the same damn message. Suggestions?

Wetz

Daedelus
October 4th, 2006, 12:02 PM
congrateas on the new computer i loved when i just got mine like a month ago. it took me forever to down load the patches. problems with the down load speed i think it might have ben because i was running macaffe virus blocker came with computer and the wireless G router came with norton i thought woo 2 securuity programs but i think they where fighting each other so i took the norton off will try and install that on wifes comp.
go check out POE2 or point of exsistance its a mod for BF2 and pretty sweet. also i been playing alot and i mean alot of company of hero's a WW2 RTS game. getting pretty good in online comp stomp's lol.. as for the ea down loader thing having problems cant help you there much i have never used it. only have vanilla and special forces out of box. but it you go check out the forums at planet battle field the have sections for all the add ons like EF and AF iam sure there are people there with similar problems with the down loader and they can help finding what to do to fix it.

LA_MERC_Wetzny
October 5th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Thanks Daed,
Got the AF done, reinstalled the 1.4 and works like a champ!

Could I trouble a few of you for a suggestion on an Anti-spyware? I’ve installed the AVG (recommended by Onji and Highwind) As my virus protection.

Also what can I do to keep this thing in tiptop condition?

Wetz

Daedelus
October 5th, 2006, 09:42 AM
i like ad aware SE i think it free down load and the spy bot search and destroy. i know its 2 programs but suppringly they seem to find programs etc that the other one may miss.
lol last time i talked to my customer service tech about my down load speeds i laughed when i found out how many fire walls i had up. i think one with wireless router the one with windows service pac2 , macafee. norton. and maybe widows defender not to metion the internet explorer7 firewall not sure if the all over lap or not but i had like 6 fire walls doh.

Also think about maybe loading up Zip it to un zip stuff and maybe a video player i have the new media edition windows but still like div X and used to use BS player it had nice features and would let me put english sub titles when i down loaded final fantasy advent children(movie) it was sweet like 2 hrs 45 min long and great graphics.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==