PDA

View Full Version : need some help from som new orleans residents

LA_MERC_Sniper
September 8th, 2006, 12:25 AM
O.k. here is the situation. It looks like I am going to be living in New orleans for about 7 months because my work is sending me there i need to find out how much apartments are going for in the area and if ther are any furnished ones in the area. Don.t need much just something clean and safe. Is New orleans getting up and running after katrina or is it hard to find places to stay?

LA_MERC_Nutria
September 8th, 2006, 05:31 AM
Nothing in New Orleans is safe... bring a gun.

LA_MERC_johncst
September 8th, 2006, 06:45 AM
look in slidell I'll get more infow later

LA_MERC_Diesel
September 8th, 2006, 07:02 AM
need more details to help Sniper.
Where in New Orleans will you be working?
how far do you want to commute?
In New Orleans itself most good apartments will run around $1500/mo the prices are outrageous post-Katrina.
On the Westbank/Upriver/Northshore of New Orleans the prices come down depending on the area. Being that you are more of the outdoors type, I would think you would look in the Northshore or upriver area?

LA_MERC_Andyconda
September 8th, 2006, 07:38 AM
I would live on the West Bank if its not to far from work. Slidell is great too but its more of a commute.

LA_MERC_Dirge
September 8th, 2006, 09:15 AM
trainyard right? Then you'll want to be on the southshore. Metairie & westbank are your best bets. start at http://www.nola.com/rentals/index.ssf

I would steer clear of Orleans parish imho. Jefferson should be your starting point.

LA_MERC_Sniper
September 8th, 2006, 12:10 PM
yes I work with csx would like to be atleast 30 to 45 minutes close. dont mind a little driving if its cheaper lol. is ther any good hunting or fishing left close by also. wont have a whole lot of free time but want to enjoy what i will have lol. also how far away will the lan be. I might show up if i can and just hang out i wont have my pc.

LA_MERC_Dirge
September 8th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Truth be told, you're much closer to more fishing than you can handle on the westbank. As for hunting... great duck hunting south as well. Northshore has limited fishing access through Slidell. The hunting is a shade better, but even northshore people go hunting in MS, AL, & north LA. The LAN will be more or less in the middle of Metairie.

Looks like CSX' facilitiy you will be at is the Gentilly yard which is in the middle of the flooded region of NOLA. That being said, it's closer to Metairie & the westbank, but not far from the northshore via I-10. The problem there being that traffic is very bad at times on the briodges across the lake. A 30 min commute could easily run into 1 hour or more.

LA_MERC_Sniper
September 8th, 2006, 12:54 PM
i will be on call all the time and i will have 2 hours to get there from when i am called so that would be fine, just looking for the cheapest way out . I think they are going to give us 750.00 a month for housing if i can get aroomate or two i guess it willl work
'

LA_MERC_Diesel
September 8th, 2006, 01:04 PM
If he is in Gentilly, then actually traffic is nothing for the northshore...way worse traffic to metairie now.
But is your family coming down with you or are you by yourself...a big factor around here as one side of the lake is sink, and the other is swim, for the family life.

Fishing is plenty accesible anywhere, and hunting(Deer)...go to Mississippi or Alabama on the weekend. I have a bunch of friends that could help you out with that.

Coming form rural SC as I think you do, I have a feeling The Northshore or upriver communities would be too your liking...of course if you like shootouts and "democrats" you can find a plenty on the westbank or New Orleans :stick(Robby)

LA_MERC_Diesel
September 8th, 2006, 01:07 PM
In all seriousness, just visit NOLA.com as Robby had pointed out as they will have all the listings...I would hope your company "guides" you in the right direction. 2 hrs...you could live in Mississippi and get to NOLA in that time. Remember this is not the big city...Imagine a toilet bowl...all the white circles the city and the .... in the middle :p:

LA_MERC_Wetzny
September 8th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Sorry for the Hijack.... I prefer to shoot it out with democrats, rarely do they carry guns. Unless you're talking about "democrats" then I pack extra ammo, and fire away when they attempt to re-load or start running!

LA_MERC_Sniper
September 8th, 2006, 01:46 PM
haha i like to not have to carry a gun lol was looking on that site and i just sont know where any of those places are i will stay in a hotel for the first month and then i will try to find something. no the family is not coming with me. I dont even want to go. I have no choice either go to orleans or Danville illinois. I would have to buy a whole winter wardrobe lol. my company is in breach of contract.and they are trying to lay a bunch of us off the union is fighting them. I usually vote republican i say 90% of the time. but they are the reason for the railroad problems i hate to say it. however i will still vote repub. most of the itme because of my beliefs and values. but they really have my butt in a sling right now. doh

LA_MERC_Diesel
September 8th, 2006, 02:06 PM
:laugh:
the word "Democrat" in the deep south has nothing to do with their political party affiliation...well a little, but not really. LOL

LA_MERC_Wetzny
September 8th, 2006, 02:09 PM
I think I caught the nuance of it... LOL. Are the terms "looter" and "democrat" inter-changable? Terribly sorry for hijacking this thread!! Now find this man a proper place to live!!!!

LA_MERC_Diesel
September 8th, 2006, 02:10 PM
BTW Rob, just look at stuff and give us questions, we will tell you thumbs up or down, depending on which area.

LA_MERC_th33_r00k
September 8th, 2006, 02:11 PM
What are Democrats? We do not have these things up North in Montana-ville......lol......

We just have a bunch of weed smokin' love everyone Republicans....lol.....

LA_MERC_Sniper
September 8th, 2006, 09:05 PM
i think south carolina took in half the democrats that new orleans lost lol

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==